What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound is randomly muting

croff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suddenly, my ipad2 32gb (latest updates installed) is working fine but decides to mute itself. The Volume icon appears on the screen and the bar descends as if the toggle switch is being held down and the ipad goes mute. Doesn't matter what app or if it is just on the home screen. Doesn't make a difference if it is with or without earphones. Sound can be put back on and set properly with the toggle switch, will work for a few minutes, and then just go to mute again. Soft reset completed, latest update installed. Very frustrating....

Tuggajb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where you putting you left hand thumb? In the left corner bottom could be setting the sound there if using os7

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check for dents around your volume switches. These have been know to depress the volume down switch, which will cause the symptoms you mention. Another cause is if you are propping the iPad up on a stand with the volume switches at the bottom, and they get pressed that way. Used to happen to me all the time with a couple of my stands.

If you do find dents, these can often be worked "carefully" back into place, fixing the issue.

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suddenly, my ipad2 32gb (latest updates installed) is working fine but decides to mute itself. The Volume icon appears on the screen and the bar descends as if the toggle switch is being held down and the ipad goes mute. Doesn't matter what app or if it is just on the home screen. Doesn't make a difference if it is with or without earphones. Sound can be put back on and set properly with the toggle switch, will work for a few minutes, and then just go to mute again. Soft reset completed, latest update installed. Very frustrating....

Something similar happened to me and my 2nd gen 32GB Ipad. I couldn't hear music via itunes either thru the headphone jack or BT port. But you could play sound through the YouTube apps just fine. When running itunes, you could see the track bar move like its playing, and the sound EQ thing was working, again just no sound.

I ended up wiping and restoring an imager from backup, works fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts