What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sorting photos on ipad mini

petersscs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an ipad mini as I am going away on a big trip and will be taking many pictures. I am simply trying to find out if it is possible on the ipad mini to sort your photos out in various folders and rename the photos so when I get them home to export them to various programs for slide shows with music etc they retain the name I give them. I have looked all over the web for answers but funnily enough I have not been able to find any answers. Put simply can I rename photos on the ipad mini (or get apps that do) for later export. Many thanks PeterSSCS

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Peter welcome to the forum! :) You may need to supply some additional information, e.g. are you going to take pictures w/ a digital camera and import them into the iPad Mini and/or take them w/ the camera on the iPad? Important in that w/ a digital camera you will have a storage option (e.g. SD card) that can be used w/ a regular computer if necessary.

The native Photo App on the iPad will not permit your goal of 'naming' individual images for future use and folder storage - now there are a number of third party apps that offer some of these options - not sure if that is your preference? My advice is that if you are planning to take dozens (if not hundreds) of digital images is that you have a dedicated digital camera w/ a storage device - NOW, I'm not sure exactly what your goals may be so please explain - Dave

OP
P

petersscs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Giradman - I will be taking 00s of pictures with my dig SLR. My thoughts were to use SD card to Ipad mini for sorting/deleting/renaming pics on bigger ipad mini screen. Weight is going to be a problem for me so am trying to minimise taking too much gear. I thought dig SLR & iPad mini could be a good solution. Use my down time to sort/delete/rename photos into folders/themes so when I return home the pics can easily be sorted to slide shows w/ music etc. My wife has an ipad and I realise native photo app doesnt do what I want so a necessity to get other app(s) to do this function. I have small ebook PC which will do all this but would prefer Ipad mini if possible due to its size/weight etc. I hope that clarifies my needs further Giradman. Cheers Peter

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Peter - I have nearly a dozen different photo apps on my iPad (some for editing & others for organization); unfortunately, I've not used many thoroughly enough to offer experienced advice, but one called Photo-Sort (INFO HERE) might be of interest - folders and sub-folders can be created & images imported (w/ some basic editing) - the folders and the pics can be re-named; plus, the images seem to be stored (rather than just linked to the native Photo App) w/i Photo-Sort; an FTP transfer option is available (which I've not tried) - some negative reviews in iTunes, but seem to be rather trivial relative to my use of the app. Others certainly exist but this one might be worth a try? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
P

petersscs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, -many thanks for the reply again. I will look into what you have said. Certainly, on 1st look, Photo-Sort looks like it does some of the things I want. Cheers peter

Vin_Koe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi giradman, thanks a lot, I will immediately try that app as think it will solve most of my problems. Vin

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi giradman, thanks a lot, I will immediately try that app as think it will solve most of my problems. Vin

No problem - hope the app works out for you (and others are available, if not) - let us know your results - this is an oft ask question - Dave :)

Vin_Koe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave, the app does what I want but unfortunately it is not as easy as I hoped it would be, i.e. sorting photos by just drag and drop. But it works by giving new numbers to the photos in an album. Vin

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, the app does what I want but unfortunately it is not as easy as I hoped it would be, i.e. sorting photos by just drag and drop. But it works by giving new numbers to the photos in an album. Vin

Hi Vin - unfortunately, none of these iPad photo apps have ALL of the features desired and some of the steps taken are not always intuitive; BUT, I just did the following in Photo-Sort (see if these steps might help you w/ the app?): 1) Opened Photo-Sort and imported (from native Photo app) about a half dozen pics of my renovated porch; 2) Renamed the pics (easy to do by just pressing the right side of the imported nondescript title); 3) Made a new folder which I named Porch; 4) Pressed the tool icon (wrench on the bottom left) and pressed each image I wanted to transfer to the new folder; and 4) Selected 'Cut' & opened the new folder and pressed & then pasted; using 'Cut' deletes the images in their other location; if you use 'Copy' then the images are duplicated in both areas.

Give it a try - does allow 'batch' movement (batch naming would be nice) - also, on the 'Albums' page, noticed the 'I' circle in the left upper corner - pressing brings you to a help page explaining the features of the app - let us know if this improves your working w/ Photo-Sort? Good luck - Dave :)

zootsuit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Peter - I have nearly a dozen different photo apps on my iPad (some for editing & others for organization); unfortunately, I've not used many thoroughly enough to offer experienced advice, but one called Photo-Sort (INFO HERE) might be of interest - folders and sub-folders can be created & images imported (w/ some basic editing) - the folders and the pics can be re-named; plus, the images seem to be stored (rather than just linked to the native Photo App) w/i Photo-Sort; an FTP transfer option is available (which I've not tried) - some negative reviews in iTunes, but seem to be rather trivial relative to my use of the app. Others certainly exist but this one might be worth a try? Good luck - Dave :)

To my knowledge, Photo-Sort is still the only app that maintains an album's sort order when you transfer the album off the iPad. It's annoying as heck to use, though, because it works in free memory and, if you're like me, you don't have a lot of it because of all your albums. I've corresponded with several other transfer app makers and they all say Apple doesn't make the filenaming function available for programmers. So I guess Photo-Sort is a hack, not a "legitimate" app. Nevertheless, I still use it sometimes.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Photo-Sort is still the only app that maintains an album's sort order when you transfer the album off the iPad. It's annoying as heck to use, though, because it works in free memory and, if you're like me, you don't have a lot of it because of all your albums. I've corresponded with several other transfer app makers and they all say Apple doesn't make the filenaming function available for programmers. So I guess Photo-Sort is a hack, not a "legitimate" app. Nevertheless, I still use it sometimes.

BOY, that quote given that accompanied the post above was nearly 3 1/2 years old! iPad hardware and iOS apps have really changed, and I've not used Photo-Sort in several years (but still on my iPad Air 2; would have been my iPad 2 back then).

Just opened the app and was notified that my iPad may be slow and an update is needed (have been seeing that notification on a number of apps w/ the recent iOS update); so, took a look at the offering on iTunes - the app has not been updated since Nov 2013, really out of date (see screen capture below) - did not see a whole lot of other 'photo-sorting' apps - seems like we need a 'new thread' started on this topic. ;) Dave
IMG_7171.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Metapho app will let you change the photo's date (with in-app purchase). That allows for a crude sort of sorting; if you don't mind your photo's date being wrong.

It also allows you to edit the location data, which could be handy for those photos you import wihtout location, or need it corrected for other reasons.

Most reactions