sorting photos on ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPad for Photographers' started by petersscs, Jun 22, 2013.

1. petersscs

petersscs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am thinking of buying an ipad mini as I am going away on a big trip and will be taking many pictures. I am simply trying to find out if it is possible on the ipad mini to sort your photos out in various folders and rename the photos so when I get them home to export them to various programs for slide shows with music etc they retain the name I give them. I have looked all over the web for answers but funnily enough I have not been able to find any answers. Put simply can I rename photos on the ipad mini (or get apps that do) for later export. Many thanks PeterSSCS
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +899 / 0
    Hi Peter welcome to the forum! :) You may need to supply some additional information, e.g. are you going to take pictures w/ a digital camera and import them into the iPad Mini and/or take them w/ the camera on the iPad? Important in that w/ a digital camera you will have a storage option (e.g. SD card) that can be used w/ a regular computer if necessary.

The native Photo App on the iPad will not permit your goal of 'naming' individual images for future use and folder storage - now there are a number of third party apps that offer some of these options - not sure if that is your preference? My advice is that if you are planning to take dozens (if not hundreds) of digital images is that you have a dedicated digital camera w/ a storage device - NOW, I'm not sure exactly what your goals may be so please explain - Dave
  3. petersscs

petersscs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Giradman - I will be taking 00s of pictures with my dig SLR. My thoughts were to use SD card to Ipad mini for sorting/deleting/renaming pics on bigger ipad mini screen. Weight is going to be a problem for me so am trying to minimise taking too much gear. I thought dig SLR & iPad mini could be a good solution. Use my down time to sort/delete/rename photos into folders/themes so when I return home the pics can easily be sorted to slide shows w/ music etc. My wife has an ipad and I realise native photo app doesnt do what I want so a necessity to get other app(s) to do this function. I have small ebook PC which will do all this but would prefer Ipad mini if possible due to its size/weight etc. I hope that clarifies my needs further Giradman. Cheers Peter
  4. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +899 / 0
    Hi again Peter - I have nearly a dozen different photo apps on my iPad (some for editing & others for organization); unfortunately, I've not used many thoroughly enough to offer experienced advice, but one called Photo-Sort (INFO HERE) might be of interest - folders and sub-folders can be created & images imported (w/ some basic editing) - the folders and the pics can be re-named; plus, the images seem to be stored (rather than just linked to the native Photo App) w/i Photo-Sort; an FTP transfer option is available (which I've not tried) - some negative reviews in iTunes, but seem to be rather trivial relative to my use of the app. Others certainly exist but this one might be worth a try? Good luck - Dave :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. petersscs

petersscs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Dave, -many thanks for the reply again. I will look into what you have said. Certainly, on 1st look, Photo-Sort looks like it does some of the things I want. Cheers peter
  6. Vin_Koe

Vin_Koe iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi giradman, thanks a lot, I will immediately try that app as think it will solve most of my problems. Vin
  7. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +899 / 0
    No problem - hope the app works out for you (and others are available, if not) - let us know your results - this is an oft ask question - Dave :)
  8. Vin_Koe

Vin_Koe iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Dave, the app does what I want but unfortunately it is not as easy as I hoped it would be, i.e. sorting photos by just drag and drop. But it works by giving new numbers to the photos in an album. Vin
  9. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +899 / 0
    Hi Vin - unfortunately, none of these iPad photo apps have ALL of the features desired and some of the steps taken are not always intuitive; BUT, I just did the following in Photo-Sort (see if these steps might help you w/ the app?): 1) Opened Photo-Sort and imported (from native Photo app) about a half dozen pics of my renovated porch; 2) Renamed the pics (easy to do by just pressing the right side of the imported nondescript title); 3) Made a new folder which I named Porch; 4) Pressed the tool icon (wrench on the bottom left) and pressed each image I wanted to transfer to the new folder; and 4) Selected 'Cut' & opened the new folder and pressed & then pasted; using 'Cut' deletes the images in their other location; if you use 'Copy' then the images are duplicated in both areas.

Give it a try - does allow 'batch' movement (batch naming would be nice) - also, on the 'Albums' page, noticed the 'I' circle in the left upper corner - pressing brings you to a help page explaining the features of the app - let us know if this improves your working w/ Photo-Sort? Good luck - Dave :)