What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry About the Introductory Rant

Voyeurger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I posted from the Ipad app for the forum, I received the link to access the forum from my PC. Much more user friendly than what was found on the Ipad app.
Anyway, I'm a music freak. I stream a lot of live broadcasts and download a lot of music. I want to think that I'm an IPad dummy, and THAT'S why I hate Apple. But, I've been trying very hard to learn and I'm stymied at every turn by bad, or irrelevant, info. Is it like a religion? Do I have to immerse myself in the Apple water? Drink the Apple wine? Does everybody simply ignore the walls erected by Apple and accept that the inscrutable Apple is better than no Apple? I downloaded the app GoGoBean in a desperate attempt to share my files with....myself. WOOOPS! IPad does not allow the adobe Flash plug-in and I could not load a single photo in the GoGoBean photo album I'd set up. Why would the AppStore offer an operational dead end to its IPad users? Testing to see if I'm worthy to pass to the next holy Apple realm?

Sorry, I've gone and gotten off another rant. I have just returned from quite an adventure and I foolishly loaded my photos on my IPad, intending to move them to my office PC to sharpen up and post. You may guess how successful I've been. Instructions from the IPad manual PDF? "Follow directions provided by your PC's software manufacturer." I'm paraphrasing, but, ARRRGGGHH!!!

Help is nowhere to be found. Normally, such a simple thing.
It's very late. I'm very tired. I'm very sorry for the rants. I really only wanted to ask for some help.
Thanks again,
Gary

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Voyeurger! Sorry to hear you are having so many issues. I do know that for photos using the photo app that comes with the iPad you will need to have your photos on your computer (in MY PICTURES) arranged in named folders for them to appear on your iPad in folders. I have an APP that I like called Photo-Sort that does a real good job of letting you put your photos in folders that you name and arrange. As for the Apple thingy - well, I guess maybe it's not for everyone, myself - I love Apple products and the way they work. Good luck!

Chiky

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I posted from the Ipad app for the forum, I received the link to access the forum from my PC. Much more user friendly than what was found on the Ipad app. <snip>
Welcome to the forum Gary...sorry it's under such frustrating circumstances. I'm certain that you can get things sorted out but you'll need to clearly state what it is you're trying to do. If the iPad won't do what you want natively, there are hundreds/thousands of apps that fill the gap. One or more of them may meet your requirements.

FWIW, it sounds like your photography expectations of the iPad may not be realistic. In addition when your photo files are imported to the iPad they are optimized for storage and viewing on the iPad. If you just want to move photo files from one place (camera, iTunes?) to your PC at work it's probably best to just save them directly to a drive of some sort...USB, external, etc....and then import them. Expecting the iPad to simply be a file carrier may be like expecting a Ferrari to go four wheel driving. It might (or might not) do the job and in the end you may not be happy with the results.

I took a look at the gogobeans app and it's pretty clear that it's designed to share files between Apple products, specifically iPhones, iPods and iPads. Several reviews said it worked quite well. I didn't dig too much deeper but I'm guessing you may have misunderstood what the app does. I didn't see anything about Flash being associated with the app.

If you're looking at moving files around you could also take a look at DropBox. It's an awesome (free) cloud storage service that allows you to sync up files on Apple, Windows or Linux OS. GoodReader is another option as is EverNote. AirSharing and USB Disk can help move files as well. There are specific photo sharing apps as well. As with any app, there's really no silver bullet for everything, but I'm sure there are apps that will do what you'd like. Most are less than a dollar, so even if you go wrong once in a while it won't break the bank.

Apple's "walled garden" as it's sometimes referred to ensures that every product made by/for Apple will "just work". (No tweaks, additional downloads, registry problems, hardware compatibility, firewall or driver issues, etc.) All of the apps in the App store for the iPad, iPhone, iPod and Mac are tested for compatibility as well as to be sure they do what they say they will do by Apple before they're ever allowed in. That doesn't ensure that all apps will work cross-platform if they're designed to but they usually do. The testing may not be perfect sometimes and they do pull apps now and then but I don't know of any other company that basically guarantees their products, software, etc. to work. (Although Apple claims they don't give refunds on apps, they will if you have a very legitimate reason and contact them via the "Report a problem" link on all app purchases.)

If you're coming from the PC world learning how Apple does things may have a short learning curve, but trust me, after decades of being a "PC guy", building my own computers and such, my switching to Apple a few years ago was one of the best thing I've ever done. They aren't perfect, no company is and some things they do frustrate me as well, but compared to the alternative I couldn't be happier.

Give it some time, read up on whatever it is you want to do and if you still find yourself struggling with something don't hesitate to drop by. Do a search and if you still can't find an answer, post some specifics. As Tim mentioned, there are a lot of good people here more than willing to lend a hand. Now that you're all rested up I'll bet things will look better in no time. ;)

OP
V

Voyeurger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O.K., A simple question.

After I posted from the Ipad app for the forum, I received the link to access the forum from my PC. Much more user friendly than what was found on the Ipad app. <snip>
Welcome to the forum Gary...sorry it's under such frustrating circumstances. I'm certain that you can get things sorted out but you'll need to clearly state what it is you're trying to do. If the iPad won't do what you want natively, there are hundreds/thousands of apps that fill the gap. One or more of them may meet your requirements.

FWIW, it sounds like your photography expectations of the iPad may not be realistic. In addition when your photo files are imported to the iPad they are optimized for storage and viewing on the iPad. If you just want to move photo files from one place (camera, iTunes?) to your PC at work it's probably best to just save them directly to a drive of some sort...USB, external, etc....and then import them. Expecting the iPad to simply be a file carrier may be like expecting a Ferrari to go four wheel driving. It might (or might not) do the job and in the end you may not be happy with the results.

I took a look at the gogobeans app and it's pretty clear that it's designed to share files between Apple products, specifically iPhones, iPods and iPads. Several reviews said it worked quite well. I didn't dig too much deeper but I'm guessing you may have misunderstood what the app does. I didn't see anything about Flash being associated with the app.

Apple's "walled garden" as it's sometimes referred to ensures that every product made by/for Apple will "just work". (No tweaks, additional downloads, registry problems, hardware compatibility, firewall or driver issues, etc.) All of the apps in the App store for the iPad, iPhone, iPod and Mac are tested for compatibility as well as to be sure they do what they say they will do by Apple before they're ever allowed in. That doesn't ensure that all apps will work cross-platform if they're designed to but they usually do. The testing may not be perfect sometimes and they do pull apps now and then but I don't know of any other company that basically guarantees their products, software, etc. to work. (Although Apple claims they don't give refunds on apps, they will if you have a very legitimate reason and contact them via the "Report a problem" link on all app purchases.)

If you're coming from the PC world learning how Apple does things may have a short learning curve, but trust me, after decades of being a "PC guy", building my own computers and such, my switching to Apple a few years ago was one of the best thing I've ever done. They aren't perfect, no company is and some things they do frustrate me as well, but compared to the alternative I couldn't be happier.

Give it some time, read up on whatever it is you want to do and if you still find yourself struggling with something don't hesitate to drop by. Do a search and if you still can't find an answer, post some specifics. As Tim mentioned, there are a lot of good people here more than willing to lend a hand. Now that you're all rested up I'll bet things will look better in no time. ;)

Thanks very much Rich.
I learned that there are apps to accomplish various things on the IPad. GoGoBeans was portrayed as one such. A file-sharer (I'm assuming a "cloud" setup). What I did was download the app from the ITunes Store onto my IPad, and principle among the GoGoBeans goodies is the photo album. So, I set up the photo album, named it, and tried to place photos in it. I got nothing but error messages stating that the .."Adobe Flashplayer Plug-In is required to perform this task, Apple does not support/allow Adobe Flash Player". I am paraphrasing, but this message came up IN GoGoBeans on my IPad. THAT'S when the wisps of steam began trickling from my ears.
I understand what you say about the apps to go to for the various tasks, and I will absolutely go back in. I suppose I just got lucky with GoGoBeans.
Now, to the simple question referred to in the title. I have two homes. I work and live in L.A. 4 days a week, and then I fly 500 miles on Thursdays to spend three days with my family in our home up north.
When I arrive here in L.A. after a nice long weekend, I will likely have synched my IPad with my laptop in my shop at home beforehand. NOW, I will have, maybe a book, maybe some PDFs in my IReader library, probably some new music in my IPad's ITunes library. Why is it that, in order to sync my IPad with my work PC, I have to allow my ITunes app on my PC, TO WIPE OUT ALL MY IPAD STUFF in the sync? If I allow that, the same thing will occur when I get home and my shop PC takes over my IPad again during Sync. I want my three ITunes platforms truly "SYNCED". To accomplish this I want to put my new IPad stuff on my work PC. I cannot. Any ideas at all on this conundrum? By the way, the IPad User Guide blatantly dances around this entire topic. They tell you how to sync alright. BUT, only FROM PC to IPad. Never a mention of data flowing (syncing) in the other direction. Never a mention that anything not found currently on my PC will be wiped off my IPad if I sync. I guess it might be necessary to e-mail myself my IPad files and put them on my PC. It just seems so.....counter-intuitive :confused:. Am I missing something here?
Thanks a bunch for your guidance.
Gary

OP
V

Voyeurger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The One Way Street

Welcome to the forum, Voyeurger! Sorry to hear you are having so many issues. I do know that for photos using the photo app that comes with the iPad you will need to have your photos on your computer (in MY PICTURES) arranged in named folders for them to appear on your iPad in folders. I have an APP that I like called Photo-Sort that does a real good job of letting you put your photos in folders that you name and arrange. As for the Apple thingy - well, I guess maybe it's not for everyone, myself - I love Apple products and the way they work. Good luck!

Chiky

Hi Chiky,
I guess it boils down to the fact that there seems to be barricades around every bend on this IPad. If I just want to play Angry Birds HD all day (and I do want to some days) no problems. I have 50 or 60 subfolders of photos under "My Picures" on my work PC. I do not particularly want all my photos on my IPad. My problem occurs because the Apple data goes only one way. FROM the PC and TO the IPad. BUT! Like a fool, I allowed a cache of precious photos to be synched to my IPad from my PC at home. I cannot move these photos to my office PC to clean up in my Corel PhotoShop Editor. In fact, I can't even sync to my work PC or the photos (and all my new music) will be wiped off my IPad. That, in my opinion, is very wrong :mad:.
Regards,
Gary

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I posted from the Ipad app for the forum, I received the link to access the forum from my PC.
Hi Gary. Generally speaking you can only sync your iPad with one computer...be it Mac or PC. If you want to keep files synced and available have a look at Mobile Me:

Apple - MobileMe - Your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and PC. In perfect sync.

Based on fairly knowledgable conjecture the Mobile Me service will most likely morph into a very robust photo and music sharing offering from Apple called iCloud in the near future. All of your files would be stored on Apple's servers and be available to you on any PC, Mac, iPad, etc. 24/7. Sounds like that may be what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I upload my photos to photobucket via the app I can download them to my phone via another app for it, to my pc via the website.
The photobucket website uses Flash to upload so I use the app instead. It's free btw.
What I have found with my ipad is there is a work around for just about every limitation and that it can be frustrating finding them.
If you need Flash in a browser Puffin or iswifter are suggested by many members.
I have found a combination of Dropbox( you can upload files there)and icab browser (built in download from Dropbox, choose it to upload to website) to be a great tag team for file uploading to non Flash websites. Dropbox also is available for download via website and apps on many platforms.
What I did for iTunes was make a file on my desktop for photos and put the photos in it or remove from it, the photos I want on my ipad and sync to just that folder.
My desktop also asks if I want to transfer pictures I've imported via the camera kit (load photos from sd card or camera directly onto the ipad)
Hope that helps from another frustrated Apple user.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:
OP
V

Voyeurger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've got it. Like life, expect nothing. You'll never be disappointed. It is intuitive to expect to be able to move files in two directions, if you are able to move them at all. The one way street was beyond my ken.

I will do the Drop Box work around. Thanks Mountainbikermark.

Col. Bris, yes, I'll be fine. It's interesting that the "fixes" all involve third party apps which allow simple tasks to be performed DESPITE Apple's strategy to the contrary.
That is SO WEIRD to me.
Regards,
Gary

Most reactions

Latest posts