What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sony Cyber-Shot & Camera Adapter

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought the Sony Cyber-Shot w310 digital camera. Now, I don't yet own the Apple camera adapter kit, so I'm hoping somebody here has both of these items and can tell me if it's fully compatible. I'm particularly interested to know if videos taken on the Cyber-Shot will transfer and play with no problem.

Thanks,
Jeremy

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sony T90 and a camera connection kit. I also have a USB MS card reader.

I have not tried plugging the camera directly, what I do is pull out the MS card, put it in the MS card reader, plug that reader in the USB adapter and plug that adapter in the iPad. When I'm done it's about one foot long...:D But it works very well with pictures. Movies? That's another thing. They are formatted in 720P so they won't show up in Photos so I have to convert them in iTunes on the computer and move them to the Videos library and then sync them to the iPad.

"Why make simple when you can do complicated!"

OP
T

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Since the 720p videos can't be viewed on the iPad, can they at least be transferred and stored on the iPad to later be transferred to your computer? I ask because I'm planning to travel and would like to be able to load my camera files onto the iPad at the end of each day and maybe upload them to Dropbox.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Since the 720p videos can't be viewed on the iPad, can they at least be transferred and stored on the iPad to later be transferred to your computer? I ask because I'm planning to travel and would like to be able to load my camera files onto the iPad at the end of each day and maybe upload them to Dropbox.

uhm, it would take you eons to upload a pic to dropbox. it's annoying!

OP
T

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only downloaded it today, so I don't have much experience with it yet. More importantly, I'm just inquiring if the iPad will store a video from the camera even if it's incompatible for playback.

So Dropbox isn't worth the time, you think?

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only downloaded it today, so I don't have much experience with it yet. More importantly, I'm just inquiring if the iPad will store a video from the camera even if it's incompatible for playback.

So Dropbox isn't worth the time, you think?

just want to be clear. Dropbox is not so good with uploading pics. but it's good with other files (doc,pdf )

I would rather suggest you use photobucket for uploading pics.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One little thing I haven't had time to sort out. How do you get the pictures you put on the iPad to show on the computer? I still haven't found the sync file yet...

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One little thing I haven't had time to sort out. How do you get the pictures you put on the iPad to show on the computer? I still haven't found the sync file yet...

I don't think you can. Or did we miss something? I mean pc to iPad ,yes. But iPad to pc, no . Unless from iPad we upload to photobucket. Then on pc, open photobucket.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't think you can. Or did we miss something? I mean pc to iPad ,yes. But iPad to pc, no . Unless from iPad we upload to photobucket. Then on pc, open photobucket.

So that completely defeats the idea of using the iPad to carry pictures then?

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess?! I don't think this make sense lol someone has to come in here and clear this out.

But you are carrying them in your iPad photo's you just can't transfer it to pc directly. It happened to me already. A folder of pics in the iPad got lost upon syncing. Good thing I have it burned to a CD .

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this helps:

35e699ba.png

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The 100APPLE is your "Saved Photos" album and the 100IMPRT and above are the other albums you have.
Easy to drag or copy but don't forget to rename them.
No idea why apple has to be so needlessly obscure.

Gazelle2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sony T90 and a camera connection kit. I also have a USB MS card reader.

I have not tried plugging the camera directly, what I do is pull out the MS card, put it in the MS card reader, plug that reader in the USB adapter and plug that adapter in the iPad. When I'm done it's about one foot long...:D But it works very well with pictures. Movies? That's another thing. They are formatted in 720P so they won't show up in Photos so I have to convert them in iTunes on the computer and move them to the Videos library and then sync them to the iPad.

"Why make simple when you can do complicated!"

Thanks, iVan. I am glad that I searched instead of starting a new thread concerning the iPad Camera Connection Kit. I am also a Sony person when it comes to digital cameras and I also normally download all my photos by going through a USB card reader (Sandisk ImageMate 12-in-1). I was wondering whether the USB port added by the Camera Connection Kit would recognize a card reader and your post makes it seem likely that it will. My one question is, how does the card reader appear on the the iPad? Does it show up as a connected storage device or like something else?
Thanks in advance...Gazelle2

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, the iPad only recognizes the photos on a card, not the card or card reader itself.
When you plug the adapter with the card, photo starts and shows the pictures. That's all. Just make sure you have a DICM folder on the card.

Some multiple format reader adapters don't work because they require power from the USB port. The iPad is not giving power, it needs it. The card reader I have came in the package with a memory stick pro card. It looks like a typical flash key.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 100APPLE is your "Saved Photos" album and the 100IMPRT and above are the other albums you have.
Easy to drag or copy but don't forget to rename them.
No idea why apple has to be so needlessly obscure.

Yes, that's strange because the camera already names all pictures it takes and gives info and data about them. The iPad goes through the process of renaming them.

I haven't checked if it changes properties though.

Most reactions

Latest posts