What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Song Lyrics from MS word to iPad

wvmiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several hundred songs (lyrics on all, chords and lyrics on some) stored in my Windows 7 desktop computer. I would like to transfer them all to the iPad; in fact, this is the reason I bought it.

Can someone give me the step-by-step on how to do it?

I need to show the lyrics and scroll down for the long ones. I'd also like to make set lists.

Bill Miller

Last edited:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a good reader or any app that supports word?

You have to have it first then. You can transfer those word files to these apps. Then you'll be able to view them on your ipad.

Another app is the Dropbox which is free. You have a 2G free space (unless you upgrade your account). install dropbox on your pc. create your account. Download dropbox to your ipad. Drag and drop your word files to your dropbox icon. Then open it on your ipad. If you want to be able to view them offline on your ipad. Add them as your favorites.

dough54321

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OnSong is a great app(and imports from .doc, too!). You can change keys after importing and add capo too. You can also attach an mp3 to the chart from iTunes to play along with. Only $5.00.

If you just want a reader, try music reader. It will import and act as a viewer, but there is a cost on the software you have on your pc/Mac. It costs $60 to $100 based on what you want to do with it, but the app is free. With the coming Bluetooth foot pedal coming out next week, changing between pages will be easy!

I have both apps. Love them for different reasons.

OP
wvmiller

wvmiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now we are cookin'.

I am a complete Apple and iPad neophtye, but experienced in Windows. I do not need to port melody lines, just lyrics.

Because I have so many, is there a way to export the "Lyrics" folder from my Windows Deskstop to the iPad, and then index or list them there for easy individual reference?

Thanks to those who have helped so far.

OP
wvmiller

wvmiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found that I can use my iPad's iTunes (select APP) and import the lyrics to Pages. Unfortunately, my nearly 300 song lyrics seem only accessible in that program by swiping the screen, which is a pretty time comsuming to find a song, and there seems to be no provision for a set list either.

I'll live with it for now, but I intend to use some other document readers to access the songs much more quickly.

To be continued!

sars

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I found this thread while searching for a similar solution. I'm a singer and although I memorize most of the cover songs that I sing, I still want a hold of them when I'm off work or somewhere where there's no internet connection. So I'd like to share with you the tool that I use on my iPhone for about a year now.

I downloaded SimpleNote app on my iPhone. It's a simple notepad just like Notes on iPhone and it's free. Then here's the catch. I downloaded Notational Velocity app on my Mac. These two different apps on different gadgets actually syncs realtime!

So what I do is I drag my lyrics (.doc, .rtf, & .txt) to NV's window and tada!!! My lyrics are all in there! I make sure that it's uploaded on the server by clicking on the that small button on top of the app.

Next thing I do is I open up my SimpleNote app on my iPhone and go to the settings and click Sync Now. Then all of the lyrics that I have synced are all on my iPhone which can be organized alphabetically or by the date it was modified :)

Now the tricky part is searching for the song. Since I have almost thousand of songs on my iPhone, it searches on the documents itself, not on the titles. So if I want the song "Play That Funky Music" and I type "Play", all other songs that has "play" in its lyrics will show up.

I wonder if there's a better app that has an alphabetical guide on the side (as in Contacts) instead of scrolling numerous times till you get to the song that starts with letter J or P.

But I hope this would help other musicians like me in getting their lyrics into their iPhone or iPad.

T

TJK

I use drop box... Organize the folder way younorganize on your windows.

I was going say DropBox ( free for 2gb) combined with the .99 GoodReader app would work fine. Drag your files into DropBox and open them in GoodReader.

I've tried some of the sheet music apps and really don't like any of them.

Speedring

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Song Words

I use "Prompster" $9.99.

I have not improted from word yet. It says it does it.

But the cool part is that once the song is in there it can be edited and search, plus you can adjust the font size and adjusts the speed as it scrolls..
Prety cool. It would realy be cool if it could time

Jnclem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest Documents To Go. You can import files or folders from word, view and edit word docs as well as many others, and sync changes made on desktop or iPad back and forth. You can also access files steed in the cloud. Great app.

OP
wvmiller

wvmiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Prompter is very cool!

While intended fro public speaking, Prompster is nearly perfect for song lyrics. The only issue I have is that it requires imported files to be in the *.txt format, while Word files are in *.doc or *.docx. It is easy to convert the Word files to *.txt one by one, and I might even be able to make a macro that would do the entire library.

Thanks for the tip!

Bill

border1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a Singer. I have my lyrics on sheets that is in a binder in front of me as i sing, just in case I go Glen Campbell while singing a song. I have ipad 2 16gb. I would like to be able to put my songs on my iPad and do away with the binder. Can someone tell me what steps i need to take to get this done. I appreciate any help that you can give me.

gjhsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
border1000 said:
I am a Singer. I have my lyrics on sheets that is in a binder in front of me as i sing, just in case I go Glen Campbell while singing a song. I have ipad 2 16gb. I would like to be able to put my songs on my iPad and do away with the binder. Can someone tell me what steps i need to take to get this done. I appreciate any help that you can give me.

I use OnSong it is a wonderful app. I am a church pianist. I have all of my songs on my iPad. The app lets you create sets so organizing your songs are limitless. It is a 4.99 app but totally worth it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions