What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something loose when I tap top right of back?

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my new iPad is only a week and a half old. But I noticed that when I tap the back casing in the top right (camera side) I hear a slightly metallic sound as if something is loose inside. I'm very nervous and worried about this and obviously whether it's normal or not I ought to not be tapping it. But I can't help but wonder if it's ok.

So is this a recognised thing and/or do your iPads do this?

Cheers

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A rare case, this doesn't normally happen on normal iPad Devices, it might require a check-up, please ask or go to your provider and discuss the issue, do it while you still have the warranty.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not normal. Seek a return/exchange.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's sensible, off to apple store tomorrow :) are they usually good with returns?

Absolutely. They have an excellent track record. Any fault is normally sorted by swapping out the unit with a new one on the spot. You should be golden :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you take your iPad in to the Apple store,do a backup. Then,when you bring the replacement iPad home you can set it up from the backup you made and it will have all the content and apps that the original iPad did.

OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for your help on this guys.

Sad I won't be able to keep this beauty that I've already "bonded" with. But even though its only a week and a bit old and should have no effects yet from my use at least I'll be getting a nice fresh one that I can take care of straightaway. I fear that I may have scratched the screen on a few occasions anyway :L despite my intense care so far. I guess obviously some employee at the Foxconn factory didn't do their job correctly.

So anyway, with regards to the turn around process what should I do to prepare it? If I do a backup, will I be able to continue where I left off on my new device with exactly the same settings and files and photos and emails etc? Then after a backup would it be an idea to erase all data - just wanna check before I do the backup and comtinue with that. I won't be doing that till tomorrow since I'll need to use it in the morning before I get to the store.

Ok, so I've removed my sim card. Taken off the case and smart cover and put them all away. Got the box, re-packaged it with the leaflet, sim remover tool and charger and USB. Ill continue to use it tomorrow then before I leave I'll iCloud back it up, erase all data and just give it a clean to show I take care of it and repackage everything. Take it there, present it and explain the problem. Should give me a new one trouble free. I take new one back, unbox it again put sim card, case and smart cover back, setup process and choose to restore from a backup. And then I should be using the new one just like the old one, and I wouldn't notice a difference at all between the two, except the rattle will be gone. Cool!

Sorry about the long post but is there anything else I should do?

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gordon49 said:
If I do a backup, will I be able to continue where I left off on my new device with exactly the same settings and files and photos and emails etc?

Yes, you will have the same settings files and photos, I'm not really sure with the emails since I NEVER used the iPad for e-mails.

Gordon49 said:
Then after a backup would it be an idea to erase all data - just wanna check before I do the backup and comtinue with that.
Not really necessary as far as I'm concerned. But if you want to then go ahead. Apple has a policy on user confidentiality

And I guess that's about it.

OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Went today but wasn't such an easy process. My local store is only an "authorised reseller" so they wouldn't replace t. I now have to go into reading where the nearest real one is on Monday :(

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Went today but wasn't such an easy process. My local store is only an "authorised reseller" so they wouldn't replace t. I now have to go into reading where the nearest real one is on Monday :(
Don't worry, it's worth the trouble, rather than having around an unwanted musical iPad. (Using the flaw inside your iPad as the instrument xD)

OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh this is bloody ridiculous. I ring up today just to make sure before leaving. And I now have to make an appointment to see a technician?! For late tomorrow. I just need to swap this for anew one. So unfair, it's a joke. And even then she only talked about a repair. What the hell! How do ou even repair this device, if it is it will ruin the appearance of it when it's only two weeks old! I deserve a fresh new one. Payed £650 for this and this is what I get. Apple are a bunch of Edited by Moderator - this is a family friendly forum, not a bar, please mind your language. for this issue in the first place and then messing me around like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gordon49 said:
Oh this is bloody ridiculous. I ring up today just to make sure before leaving. And I now have to make an appointment to see a technician?! For late tomorrow. I just need to swap this for anew one. So unfair, it's a joke. And even then she only talked about a repair. What the hell! How do ou even repair this device, if it is it will ruin the appearance of it when it's only two weeks old! I deserve a fresh new one. Payed £650 for this and this is what I get. Apple are a bunch of Edited by Moderator - this is a family friendly forum, not a bar, please mind your language. for this issue in the first place and then messing me around like this.

That's the normal procedure when bringing in an iPad for warranty issues. The Apple technicians have to verify that the problem is indeed covered by the warranty. You will receive an exchange for a new or refurbished iPad. You should walk out of the Apple store with a fully functioning iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok fine. But I better have this sorted tomorrow because it's stressing me the hell out! I'm gonna throw a fit in the shop most likely if they don't give me a new one!

Most reactions

Latest posts