Something loose when I tap top right of back?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Gordon49, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Gordon49

Gordon49 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, my new iPad is only a week and a half old. But I noticed that when I tap the back casing in the top right (camera side) I hear a slightly metallic sound as if something is loose inside. I'm very nervous and worried about this and obviously whether it's normal or not I ought to not be tapping it. But I can't help but wonder if it's ok.

So is this a recognised thing and/or do your iPads do this?

Cheers
  2. AllenSalar

AllenSalar iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    A rare case, this doesn't normally happen on normal iPad Devices, it might require a check-up, please ask or go to your provider and discuss the issue, do it while you still have the warranty.
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Not normal. Seek a return/exchange.
  4. Gordon49

Gordon49 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys, that's sensible, off to apple store tomorrow :) are they usually good with returns?
  5. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Absolutely. They have an excellent track record. Any fault is normally sorted by swapping out the unit with a new one on the spot. You should be golden :)
  6. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,538 / 1
    Before you take your iPad in to the Apple store,do a backup. Then,when you bring the replacement iPad home you can set it up from the backup you made and it will have all the content and apps that the original iPad did.
  7. Gordon49

Gordon49 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you yes, I had already thought about that.
  8. Gordon49

Gordon49 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok. Thanks for your help on this guys.

Sad I won't be able to keep this beauty that I've already "bonded" with. But even though its only a week and a bit old and should have no effects yet from my use at least I'll be getting a nice fresh one that I can take care of straightaway. I fear that I may have scratched the screen on a few occasions anyway :L despite my intense care so far. I guess obviously some employee at the Foxconn factory didn't do their job correctly.

So anyway, with regards to the turn around process what should I do to prepare it? If I do a backup, will I be able to continue where I left off on my new device with exactly the same settings and files and photos and emails etc? Then after a backup would it be an idea to erase all data - just wanna check before I do the backup and comtinue with that. I won't be doing that till tomorrow since I'll need to use it in the morning before I get to the store.

Ok, so I've removed my sim card. Taken off the case and smart cover and put them all away. Got the box, re-packaged it with the leaflet, sim remover tool and charger and USB. Ill continue to use it tomorrow then before I leave I'll iCloud back it up, erase all data and just give it a clean to show I take care of it and repackage everything. Take it there, present it and explain the problem. Should give me a new one trouble free. I take new one back, unbox it again put sim card, case and smart cover back, setup process and choose to restore from a backup. And then I should be using the new one just like the old one, and I wouldn't notice a difference at all between the two, except the rattle will be gone. Cool!

Sorry about the long post but is there anything else I should do?
  9. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,538 / 1
    Just enjoy the replacement when you get it!
  10. AllenSalar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0

Yes, you will have the same settings files and photos, I'm not really sure with the emails since I NEVER used the iPad for e-mails.

Not really necessary as far as I'm concerned. But if you want to then go ahead. Apple has a policy on user confidentiality

And I guess that's about it.
  11. Gordon49

Gordon49 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, thanks! Went today but wasn't such an easy process. My local store is only an "authorised reseller" so they wouldn't replace t. I now have to go into reading where the nearest real one is on Monday :(
  12. AllenSalar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Don't worry, it's worth the trouble, rather than having around an unwanted musical iPad. (Using the flaw inside your iPad as the instrument xD)
  13. Gordon49

Gordon49 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh this is bloody ridiculous. I ring up today just to make sure before leaving. And I now have to make an appointment to see a technician?! For late tomorrow. I just need to swap this for anew one. So unfair, it's a joke. And even then she only talked about a repair. What the hell! How do ou even repair this device, if it is it will ruin the appearance of it when it's only two weeks old! I deserve a fresh new one. Payed £650 for this and this is what I get. Apple are a bunch of Edited by Moderator - this is a family friendly forum, not a bar, please mind your language. for this issue in the first place and then messing me around like this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  14. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,538 / 1
    That's the normal procedure when bringing in an iPad for warranty issues. The Apple technicians have to verify that the problem is indeed covered by the warranty. You will receive an exchange for a new or refurbished iPad. You should walk out of the Apple store with a fully functioning iPad.
  15. Gordon49

Gordon49 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok fine. But I better have this sorted tomorrow because it's stressing me the hell out! I'm gonna throw a fit in the shop most likely if they don't give me a new one!
  16. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Gordon how did you get on. I seem to have the same issue. Slight noise up near the sleep/lock button and the button is quite loose. Was in the apple store today and they said was quite normal but also kinda hinted if I insisted they would swap it. I didn't go for this straight away as they were also taking in my MBP for repair and I didn't want to be left with nothing as I use for work. And also I have icarbon skins and won't get them refunded and they came from the states...anyways just wondered how you got on and if the rattle is gone. Ps is your lock button slightly movable. Think they thought I was an OCD freak (well I kinda am;) thanks, Kevin
  17. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Just FYI, the sound you guys are hearing could be the camera. Some make more of a noise than others but the new iPad has the same auto focus feature as the iPhones and when you tap it or even when you set it on the table you will hear it. This really concerned me with my iPhone but it is completely normal. My iPad makes similar noise only not as noticeable. I cannot be sure this is what you are hearing but from what you describe and where you are hearing this sound from this could very well be the case.

Edit: A tip to try is open the camera up and manually lock the focus on an image up close. After you have done that tap near the camera to see if it still makes this noise.
  18. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. It's def more noticeable in my ipad3 compared to an ipad2 . Just out of interest. Is your lock screen button quite wobbly? Thanks , Kevin
  19. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    You need to cool off before you go down there. They won't appreciate you acting all upset! And you won't be able to tell if you get a refurb or not.
  20. fleur07

fleur07 iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    Hey let's play nice it so much more fun that way!

Also remember we are a family friendly forum, please use appropriate language