1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Something isn't right

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by HarryLarry, Mar 2, 2011.

1. HarryLarry

HarryLarry iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm surprised no one has asked this already.
    Why is it that Apple intentionally did not disclose the specs on the rear camera, front camera, and amount of RAM. Nor did they mention that there is no improvement in display in comparison to iPad 1. Is it just me or is this really fishy?
    Hmmm perhaps Apple and Steve Jobs weren't too thrilled about that 1 megapixels cam in back and 0.3 megapixel cam in front.
    Maybe he didn't mention the screen resolution because he just got out done by Motorola Xoom in that department.
    What no mention of amount of RAM? I suspect a meager 512 KB or even worse, same 256KB of RAM as the original iPad. Most likely they fell shy of Xoom's 1 GB.
    Tricky tricky I say, something just doesn't smell right.
  2. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Or perhaps those specifics haven't been mentioned, because they are not important.

No one cares how much RAM the iPad has, as long as the OS and apps run without problems.

Apple avoids promoting their products based on hardware specifics, because the hardware is not what creates the value of the device. It is the combination of hard-and soft-ware and the iPad is great at that. But if Apple would advertise the iPad with having 512MB RAM, a 3MP cam, etc. then that is what sticks in peoples mind and it will be easy for competitors to simply insert a 1GB RAM module.
  3. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Huh? They never disclosed those detatails on ipad 1. It has at least 512mb of RAM . As far as cams, rear is either 2 or 3 megapixel. Rear can record HD 780p quality vids so its good. Front cam is 1mp or vga quaility at least. Both camsvrecord 30 fps or better. As far as screen resolution, its the same but better. Original ipad screen resolution greatvanyways.
    Xoom already Failed. Only has 100 android tablet apps compared to over 65,000 ipad tabletvonly apps. Regardless of hardware specs, apps are what makes or breaks a device. Yes, xoom has 1gb of ram cuz android is more multitask intensive so it needs that much. Xoom launch day was a bore n no press coverage. Ipad2 on other hand is being talked about everywhere. Go get a xoom n see how disappointed u will be when u running only mostly same mobile apps as cellphones..lmfao xoom is great on paper but no real software out to take advantage of the power. Why do u think original ipad broke so many records n sold millions. Ipad actually sold more ipads n less thn a year thn all tablets combined in history. Now that says somethin. Regardless of restrictions, the apps are great n made the ipad what it is today.
  4. emm

emm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Strange

Funny that HarryLarry apparently joined this group today, perhaps only to make this negative post. Seems suspicious--perhaps a competitor?
  5. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Perhaps, although I have to admit after I read the press coverage my first two questions were (1) what is the system memory and (2) what is the resolution of the cameras?
  6. rogatsby

rogatsby iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe HarryLarry is Superbike, lol.

Just kidding, but to answer the question, it's because Apple doesn't think specs are that important. What's important is the user experience, ease of use, etc. Jobs talked about this at length in his keynote.
  7. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Main Point is, that owners of iPAD-1 , when reading what they may miss with the iPAD-2, the answer is - Not much. No need to rush out and replace the iPAD-1 . Maybe when iPAD-3 Comes out.
  8. Abrennan

Abrennan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll be updating, no question of it.
  9. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Back camera is 720 and front FaceTime camera is VGA. Means nothing to me, but it is the standard posted. Someone out there had a comparison of all tablets listed. Ram was not posted on the original iPad at first either.
  10. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +442 / 0
    System memory is 512k same as iPhone 4. Double iPad 1 do not get hung up on the fact android tablet zoom has igb of system memory. I state this because you have 2 different operating systems and it is impossible to compare directly.. Just relax have a Fosters and wait to test the iPad when it ships then one has a better idea how efficient the 512k ram is on an iPad 2
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  11. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Since they said 720p for rear camera I don't think it is a stretch to assume it is 1280x720. Front is VGA, ergo 640x480. iPad 1 is 0x0 for both. :)

Michael
  12. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I like that, just relax n have a Foster's lol
  13. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The only problem with Fosters is that by the time I get to the end of the can, it gets warm!

What's that you say Colin? You mean its supposed to be warm!

I know... us crazy Yanks and our love of cold beer!
  14. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

That would be funny.

Kinda.
  15. lennywc

lennywc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple tried to sli

Apple was dishonest about that camera , not publishing the megapix data, that is sleazy.
    I was going to buy the iPad 2, I am writing this on my iPad 1, but not now. I am very pissed about the way they tried to misdirect about the camera quality.
    I think they wanted to put a lot more into this iPad but for various reasons it didn't happen . Instead of delaying it, they put this version of the iPad 2 up . I Think they felt pressure to get it out there because of the xoom. Here is what will happen , in September they will release the real iPad 2 ( this one is the iPad 1.5) the September version will have all the goodies retina display, 5 mp camera, 1GB ram and sd card slot. So everyone hold off buying the 1.5 . Wait till September. Mark my words. This is just an upgrade to dampen the effect of the xoom.
  16. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Marking your words.

However, I doubt that Apple will ever include an SD slot. It just doesn't fit to their philosophy of keeping the device simple.
  17. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It also doesn't fit into their philosophy is charging you a buttload of cash for higher capacity devices. The profit margins are almost exponential when you look at capacity upgrades on Apple devices.
  18. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Personally, I would never be using a device as large as an iPad as any kind of everyday camera. I think anyone running around using it that like that would look kinda foolish... so for the purposes of facetime and iMovie I think the cameras will be fine.

And the idea that they felt "pressure" and that is why the iPad 2 was released now is equally foolish: it is the typical Apple yearly update. Nothing more.

Finally, if you are expecting the iPad 3 this September.... forget it. Won't be till next year.

Michael
  19. lennywc

lennywc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Uh - huh

Can you Explain why they did not include the ram or camera specs in their litrature?
    I have a .96 megapixel camera to sell you, along with a bridge.
  20. Nugga

Nugga iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol dude take a moment to think.
    Did apple mention the amount of ram at iphone 2,3g,3gs or 4 launch no! Nor did they say anything about the ram in the ipad 1. Everything you know about these specs comes from people who have torn down these devices.