What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something isn't right

HarryLarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has asked this already.
Why is it that Apple intentionally did not disclose the specs on the rear camera, front camera, and amount of RAM. Nor did they mention that there is no improvement in display in comparison to iPad 1. Is it just me or is this really fishy?
Hmmm perhaps Apple and Steve Jobs weren't too thrilled about that 1 megapixels cam in back and 0.3 megapixel cam in front.
Maybe he didn't mention the screen resolution because he just got out done by Motorola Xoom in that department.
What no mention of amount of RAM? I suspect a meager 512 KB or even worse, same 256KB of RAM as the original iPad. Most likely they fell shy of Xoom's 1 GB.
Tricky tricky I say, something just doesn't smell right.

Reaction score
Or perhaps those specifics haven't been mentioned, because they are not important.

No one cares how much RAM the iPad has, as long as the OS and apps run without problems.

Apple avoids promoting their products based on hardware specifics, because the hardware is not what creates the value of the device. It is the combination of hard-and soft-ware and the iPad is great at that. But if Apple would advertise the iPad with having 512MB RAM, a 3MP cam, etc. then that is what sticks in peoples mind and it will be easy for competitors to simply insert a 1GB RAM module.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has asked this already.
Why is it that Apple intentionally did not disclose the specs on the rear camera, front camera, and amount of RAM. Nor did they mention that there is no improvement in display in comparison to iPad 1. Is it just me or is this really fishy?
Hmmm perhaps Apple and Steve Jobs weren't too thrilled about that 1 megapixels cam in back and 0.3 megapixel cam in front.
Maybe he didn't mention the screen resolution because he just got out done by Motorola Xoom in that department.
What no mention of amount of RAM? I suspect a meager 512 KB or even worse, same 256KB of RAM as the original iPad. Most likely they fell shy of Xoom's 1 GB.
Tricky tricky I say, something just doesn't smell right.

Huh? They never disclosed those detatails on ipad 1. It has at least 512mb of RAM . As far as cams, rear is either 2 or 3 megapixel. Rear can record HD 780p quality vids so its good. Front cam is 1mp or vga quaility at least. Both camsvrecord 30 fps or better. As far as screen resolution, its the same but better. Original ipad screen resolution greatvanyways.
Xoom already Failed. Only has 100 android tablet apps compared to over 65,000 ipad tabletvonly apps. Regardless of hardware specs, apps are what makes or breaks a device. Yes, xoom has 1gb of ram cuz android is more multitask intensive so it needs that much. Xoom launch day was a bore n no press coverage. Ipad2 on other hand is being talked about everywhere. Go get a xoom n see how disappointed u will be when u running only mostly same mobile apps as cellphones..lmfao xoom is great on paper but no real software out to take advantage of the power. Why do u think original ipad broke so many records n sold millions. Ipad actually sold more ipads n less thn a year thn all tablets combined in history. Now that says somethin. Regardless of restrictions, the apps are great n made the ipad what it is today.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange

Funny that HarryLarry apparently joined this group today, perhaps only to make this negative post. Seems suspicious--perhaps a competitor?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny that HarryLarry apparently joined this group today, perhaps only to make this negative post. Seems suspicious--perhaps a competitor?

Perhaps, although I have to admit after I read the press coverage my first two questions were (1) what is the system memory and (2) what is the resolution of the cameras?

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Maybe HarryLarry is Superbike, lol.

Just kidding, but to answer the question, it's because Apple doesn't think specs are that important. What's important is the user experience, ease of use, etc. Jobs talked about this at length in his keynote.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Main Point is, that owners of iPAD-1 , when reading what they may miss with the iPAD-2, the answer is - Not much. No need to rush out and replace the iPAD-1 . Maybe when iPAD-3 Comes out.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back camera is 720 and front FaceTime camera is VGA. Means nothing to me, but it is the standard posted. Someone out there had a comparison of all tablets listed. Ram was not posted on the original iPad at first either.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
System memory is 512k same as iPhone 4. Double iPad 1 do not get hung up on the fact android tablet zoom has igb of system memory. I state this because you have 2 different operating systems and it is impossible to compare directly.. Just relax have a Fosters and wait to test the iPad when it ships then one has a better idea how efficient the 512k ram is on an iPad 2

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since they said 720p for rear camera I don't think it is a stretch to assume it is 1280x720. Front is VGA, ergo 640x480. iPad 1 is 0x0 for both. :)

Michael

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
System memory is 512k same as iPhone 4. Double iPad 1 do not get hung up on the fact android tablet zoom has igb of system memory. I state this because you have 2 different operating systems and it is impossible to compare directly.. Just relax have a Fosters and wait to test the iPad when it ships then one has a better idea how efficient the 512k ram is on an iPad 2

I like that, just relax n have a Foster's lol

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just relax have a Fosters...
The only problem with Fosters is that by the time I get to the end of the can, it gets warm!

What's that you say Colin? You mean its supposed to be warm!

I know... us crazy Yanks and our love of cold beer!

lennywc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple tried to sli

Apple was dishonest about that camera , not publishing the megapix data, that is sleazy.
I was going to buy the iPad 2, I am writing this on my iPad 1, but not now. I am very pissed about the way they tried to misdirect about the camera quality.
I think they wanted to put a lot more into this iPad but for various reasons it didn't happen . Instead of delaying it, they put this version of the iPad 2 up . I Think they felt pressure to get it out there because of the xoom. Here is what will happen , in September they will release the real iPad 2 ( this one is the iPad 1.5) the September version will have all the goodies retina display, 5 mp camera, 1GB ram and sd card slot. So everyone hold off buying the 1.5 . Wait till September. Mark my words. This is just an upgrade to dampen the effect of the xoom.

Most reactions

Latest posts