What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some satnav questions

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was very pleased to find out that you can use the iPad as a satnav, as my old one had stopped working and I was thinking of getting a replacement. I am using nav free which seems pretty good so far, but I am happy to listen to any other recommendations.

What I was wondering is whether there is any sort of car mount for the iPad? At the moment the only solution I have found is to sit my 10 year old son in the front holding the iPad. This has a couple of drawbacks. Firstly it is no good during school hours, and secondly he keeps wanting to turn off the navigation app to play games :)

Secondly is there any way to play the voice through the car speakers? Even at its loudest I find it a bit quiet when the radio is on and the children are fighting!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was very pleased to find out that you can use the iPad as a satnav, as my old one had stopped working and I was thinking of getting a replacement. I am using nav free which seems pretty good so far, but I am happy to listen to any other recommendations.

What I was wondering is whether there is any sort of car mount for the iPad? At the moment the only solution I have found is to sit my 10 year old son in the front holding the iPad. This has a couple of drawbacks. Firstly it is no good during school hours, and secondly he keeps wanting to turn off the navigation app to play games :)

Secondly is there any way to play the voice through the car speakers? Even at its loudest I find it a bit quiet when the radio is on and the children are fighting!

Have a look at these guys...

iPad Car Mount Holder - Accessories - ipadcarmount.co.uk

I guess you don't have an auxiliary socket in your car that you could use - you can buy 'back-to-back' 3.5 mm headphone plug cables that can plug into your iPad and also into the car's auxiliary socket for the car stereo.

If you're car has a compact cassette unit, then you can purchase units that allow you to connect your iPod or mp3 player to a 'pseudo cassette' that you pop into the cassette deck in your car. They contain a magnetic record head that 'plays' the music through the head, which is then 'picked up' by the read head in your car's cassette player.

There are also adaptors for the iPod and iPad that link to a small FM transmitter that you can use to broadcast the audio at very low power on a spare frequency that is not occupied by a regular broadcast transmitter. Just tune your car radio into that frequency.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow thanks that looks great. May well invest in one of those.

I already have one of the little radio transmitter things for my iPhone. I didn't think of using it with the iPad - doh!

Mac4Lfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a stereo Bluetooth adapter connected to the cars 3.5mm jack so the iPad remains wireless. I custom mounted the iPad using the Apple case. It's cheap but it works.

Mac4Lfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a video of the setup. Check it out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc4sYwlULrc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Most reactions