Some proccess is taking up almost 900MB of memory

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by tomarseneault, May 10, 2015.

1. tomarseneault

tomarseneault
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    All,

I use an App called "System Status" ver 5.2.1 last build Jan. to monitor my memory usage (real memory not storage space). The iPad Air 2 comes with 2GB of memory, way cool, but when I check available memory with just the status app running something is using almost 900MB of the memory, varies over time, after a reboot was down to 700Mb). I'm running IOS 8.3. On my iPad 3 (running IOS 8.2) with only the status app running used memory was only about 300MB.

Is there an app that will show memory usage for each running app? Where I don't need to jail break box.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Tom - I have the same app on my iPad Air 2 but really have not use it much, so not an expert - just took a look and generated a 'memory usage' bar graph (shown below) - the categories seem pretty generic, as explained in the second image from the developer's website HERE - not sure that the app can 'break down' the processes running and their use percentage?

I do have another app called DeviceStats that lists the active processes (currently have 105 running on my device) but does not give any more details but a listing and the PID number - not of much help, sorry. Unlike OS X, Apple seems to really limit what the developer's can do w/i the depths of iOS - Dave :)
    IMG_2938.PNG Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 6.11.54 PM.png

3. tomarseneault

tomarseneault
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The developers page says that the OS will keep recent apps in memory which explains the mem ussage, however after a reboot there should be no 'recent' apps, unless a shut down dumps memory and restores it at reboot (like windows hibernate). Does this happen?

Tom

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Tom - I'm assuming that the 900 MB you mentioned in the OP is the 'active' memory usage shown in my bar graph (mine is about the same) - this does not represent a single app using memory but all that are active; the 'inactive' category which is quite small represents those apps that are kind of suspended ready to reopen - little need to really dump this small usage - of course, the control panel would permit 'force closing' these inactive apps but I never do unless one is misbehaving.

As a test, I did an iPad 'Reset' (i.e. w/ the HOME & ON-OFF buttons leading to a reboot) - when I opened DeviceStats, I actually had about a half dozen more processes running (about 105 to 112); also, looking in the 'Control Panel', my apps in suspension were about the same number, so iOS must keep track of these even w/ a hard reboot of the device.

But out of curiosity, if your iPad is functioning well, why are you that concerned about this memory usage? I have the apps that feebly view iOS's memory, storage, processes, network, etc. but just not to the same degree as OS X on my MBPro - where is the 'Activity Monitor' when you need one for your iPad? Non-existent - Dave :)