Some New iPad Users Complaining of Poor Wi-Fi Reception

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Mar 21, 2012.

1. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just an update. What I can see it appears to be new iPad users whom have issues. When the iPad 1 and iPad 2 were released many users experianced problems. Most of this was caused by older routers. You may have a perfect connection with your current computers but using new technology like iPads and other devices such as playstations, smart tv's, Android tablets, ereaders etc. you may experiance drop off or just poor connections. If you can not resolve the issue I suggest change your router or modem router. One could also try out the conNection at a known hot spot to see if it is better. If one researches back to March last year on our forums you will find many threads and solutions. If I have time I will provide the links. One more thing..... In my house I tested the iPad 2 side by side to a net gear router 300 n. the iPad 2 recorded 14mb per sec where as the iPad 3 or third generation iPad recorded minimum 20mb per sec. This was also the case where I worked. I have upgraded some 40 clients over the past 14 months whom were experiancing problems to newer router modems and in every single case the issue vanished. hope this helps.

Colin

2. AnonymousNoOne

AnonymousNoOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Colin is so right,

image-3202301373.jpg

image-3888446568.jpg

image-3022120703.jpg

Try that every one bet it helps out!
    Spend the money, get better results!
    Don't use cheap modem's or wifi router's!
    ཡརFར  

3. URSOLUSOB

URSOLUSOB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have a thread going in the iPad 3 section but I'll post a brief summary here. I have the new 32GB Verizon model (no VZW service for it yet). It runs fine on my wifi and then suddenly loses connection, even with full wifi signal shown. Just says "unable to join network name". The signal meter does vary tho. In the same room as the iPad, I have a PS3, two android phones and two Win7 laptops all running fine without any wifi issues and no variance of signal strength. The wifi router is actually less than 20' away in the next room.

I updated firmware on router as it was outdated, but that did not help. When it drops connection, it may take 10-15 minutes before it will be able to reconnect. Other times it may take 1-3 minutes. In most cases, the network is shown as available and with mid-to-full strength, just unable to join. Sometimes it does not show the network as even there, but not as often.

4. AnonymousNoOne

AnonymousNoOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think it's funny that noobs, people who ask for help have trouble with their wifi. People like moderator's, administrator's and me have no problems. Up your Internet speeds to max. Quit blaming apple for short coming in knowledge of technology! My ཡརFར works good on iPad 3.   ☢ ☢ ☣ ☣

5. URSOLUSOB

URSOLUSOB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    wow, you're both special and helpful.... they have an obvious issue that's present on some devices (very small percentages; within normal defect rates for electronics I'm sure). I know you're a fanboi and all, but, it is possible to have bad hardware and/or software that needs addressed from time to time.

6. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it's very helpful to hear of people's (real) problems. It's difficult to help when everyone is raving about how wonderful the equipment is and how there are no problems.

We are building up a database of solutions for various problems. One thing that is really helpful is to get some feedback when a solution is found to work, otherwise we are left to wonder.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

7. quake5254

quake5254
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Amen!

8. butterfly68za

butterfly68za
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I took the test again with a newer router and got better results. The program I used was Heatmapper (PC) from Ekahau. Image shows signal strength in and around our house.
    house.jpg

9. KJSmitty

KJSmitty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    That's kinda cool.. :)

Was that performed with a laptop as you walked around the property?

Thanks

10. butterfly68za

butterfly68za
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes