What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some features unavailable on the IPad 1 iOS 5 upgrade

lely09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look like those of us with the iPad 1 don't get to use the new multi gestures features :( Also seems like the reader function inside of Safari is also unavailable. Took me forever to find out gestures doesn't work. I was really looking forward to that part. You could use the new assistivetouch in settings to navigate the iPad without needing to use the home button or the volume buttons, but the little widget is kind of annoying. Anyways figured I would update some of the people wondering if everyone got alllll the features. Still a cool and needed upgrade...

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. I was very disappointed about missing gestures as well. I haven't tried the reader function out. Its there. I didn't realize it wouldn't work.

Archer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

My wife has the iPad 1 and after reading you post thought I had better not upgrade her to IOS5 until I find out a bit more about the finger gestures.

With the upgrade to IOS5 on the iPad1

can you still pinch photos to make them big and small?

Can you still flip pages with the swipe action?

Any other things you have found does not work?

Can you go back to the old IOS4.2?

Cheers for any info.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi

My wife has the iPad 1 and after reading you post thought I had better not upgrade her to IOS5 until I find out a bit more about the finger gestures.

Cheers for any info.

Everything seems to be working fine for me. Pinch to zoom is working and swiping pages is working. The update had its problems (errors) especially with all my applications. They were all over the place. I had 9 pages of applications whereas before the upgrade I only had 5 pages. After about 2 hours I had them all back where they belonged.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look like those of us with the iPad 1 don't get to use the new multi gestures features :( Also seems like the reader function inside of Safari is also unavailable. Took me forever to find out gestures doesn't work. I was really looking forward to that part. You could use the new assistivetouch in settings to navigate the iPad without needing to use the home button or the volume buttons, but the little widget is kind of annoying. Anyways figured I would update some of the people wondering if everyone got alllll the features. Still a cool and needed upgrade...

The reader list works fine on the iPad 1. Try it again. Read the How To first. I did and it works.

OP
lely09

lely09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Archer said:
Hi

Cheers for any info.

Defiantly upgrade. IOS5 is better, just not "all" the "new" features are available for the iPad like they are for the iPad 2. Like the new gestures. All the old ones still work, but the new upgrade released new stuff in addition. Check out a YouTube video to see. For instance when you double click the home button all your running apps are displayed. Well with ipad2 and iOS 5 you can swipe with 5 fingers and switch to the next running app without needing to exit your existing app. Super cool. Also you can pinch at the bottom and it will take you back to the home screen. Long story short there are a bunch of other good updates that the iPad 1 group still gets to use and it's a better iOS in my opinion thus far.

As for the reader function. Isn't it supposed to be in the address bar next to where the refresh icon is in safari? If so I just see the reload/refresh button, but not the reader icon.....?

OP
lely09

lely09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jimt29 said:
The reader list works fine on the iPad 1. Try it again. Read the How To first. I did and it works.

Not the reader list, but the little icon next to the address bar. Which is supposed to remove all the pictures and puts the text and page into an easy and quick to read format.

wolfman1251

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to one review I read, not all web pages will work with reader... Just ones specifically designed to work with it. It didn't really spell out why. Perhaps they don't want us not seeing their ads? Lol

OP
lely09

lely09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wolfman1251 said:
According to one review I read, not all web pages will work with reader... Just ones specifically designed to work with it. It didn't really spell out why. Perhaps they don't want us not seeing their ads? Lol

****update**** the reader function takes a bit to load up. Also it only works on articles...

ragual

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I got the upgrade after many failed attempts due to overload on the apple servers. But here is one thing I really like it is the feature of the split screen. Now I can type with the iPad in portrait mode vs land scape. I have not tried all the features yet but I love my iPad 2. But if any one would be so kind to test out iMessage with me I would be grateful. My username is [email protected]

Most reactions

Latest posts