What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some assistance please

alpha o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought the iPad 128G Wifi. I'm an Android, Linux and Windows user, so a lot was fairly familiar. I got as much tech info from the salesman as I could. Found the app store, very impressive. I marked the ones I will have to repurchase.

I've been able to transfer photos via dropbox, but I need an editing program. This is one area that is confusing me. I put a picture in that I will to use for wallpaper. On the top of the screen it says resize and move. With what? I want to resize it but didn't find anything in the default editing that did anything with pixels.

The salesman also said I will have to transfer the music I ripped for my android tab through iTunes. Where is a tutorial for that? How about books? I buy EPUB from independent sellers. How do I get those on?

If someone could point me to a good tutorial site, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To resize the image, pinch two fingers together on the screen to make the picture smaller and move the fingers apart to make the picture larger. To move the picture around to get it just right, place a finger on the screen and slide it around. The picture will move in the direction your finger is moving. Once the photo is just how you want it, tap on one or more of the set buttons at the bottom of the screen to set the lock screen, home screen, or both.

OP
A

alpha o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To resize the image, pinch two fingers together on the screen to make the picture smaller and move the fingers apart to make the picture larger. To move the picture around to get it just right, place a finger on the screen and slide it around. The picture will move in the direction your finger is moving. Once the photo is just how you want it, tap on one or more of the set buttons at the bottom of the screen to set the lock screen, home screen, or both.

That's what I thought. However, the set buttons don't work. Does a picture have to be a set size? I usually make the ones for screens smaller that the original shot.

The pinch and move work. setting doesn't

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, lets be clear. There should be three settings options: Set Lock Screen, Set Home Screen, and Set Both. The first sets the image for when the iPad is locked, the second sets the background of the home screen (where the app icons are), and the third sets both to the current image.

The image size should not make a difference, it will be blown up as large as necessary to fill the screen (no matter how ugly that might be). You are limited to how much you zoom, and the image will not shrink past the smallest measurement needed to fill the screen.

My screenshot may not match yours exactly (it's from the 12.9 inch iPad), but it should be similar.

Image-2.jpeg

OP
A

alpha o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how do you make a wallpaper look good? Where are size requirements?

That was the problem. No explanation about making wallpaper. I prefer to use my own photos. I keep originals and work from copies so I can change the pic to show right. I usually resize everything I put online to 800x600.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use as high a resolution as possible for my wallpaper images. I don't do any resizing of images before I start. Wallpaper images are never online, you make sure they're in the Photos app and select them from there when changing your wallpaper.

OP
A

alpha o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I send a lot by MMS, and they have to be smaller. A lot of forums will only take a certain size. I've found that 800x600 usually doesn't get complaints. Most of the current images have been resized for that purpose, but I do keep the originals.

I'll give it another shot.

Now where is the best place to find info on my other questions in the original post?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should get the iPad User Guide for iOS 10.3 in the iBook Store. It's free.
iPad User Guide for iOS 10.3 by Apple Inc. on iBooks

There is also a web version:
https://help.apple.com/ipad/10/

The Apple Support app is new, and worth looking at:
Apple Support on the App Store

Basically, threre are two ways to get your music tracks into the Music app on the iPad. One is to import your music into iTunes on a computer, then sync the computer's iTunes library to the iPad. This is covered in the manual, if breifly.

The second is to also import the tracks into iTunes on the computer, then turn on iCloud Music Library on both the computer and iPad (using the same iCloud account). This makes your iTunes library streamable. You can also download all or portions of the library for local playback. Hold in mind that imported music (music not purchased in iTunes) counts against your iCloud Drive storage. If you hve a lot of it then the 5 GB free storage probably won't be enoughg, you'll need to purchase more. It cost about a dollar a month for 50 GB, wich should be enough for most people.
Turn on iCloud Music Library

There are a few other third party work arounds, but these are the two main methods supplied by Apple. I'm not familiar enough with the third party stuff to make recomendations. I use a combination of Apple Music and iCloud Music Library. That's more than enough for me needs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BTW, the Photos app has some decent filters and adjustments to tweak your pictures before trying them out as wallpapers. The manual should help you out with that as well. There are a slew of other image filter/tweaking apps out there as well. I'm fond of Enlight and Snapseed.

There are also several apps that are specifically meant for the creation of or enhancement of wallpapers. I have not experience with them, but some browsing should find you plenty to try out. Many are free to try, with full features unlocked by in-app purchases.

OP
A

alpha o

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - bookmarked the web version of the manual.

The only reason I hesitate about music - I ripped a lot of CDs I own.
My truck uses a USB connection for music, and I lost the last CD drive to red dust from offroading. It's legit reuse. Also have some old YouTube videos that have long disappeared from online.

I have Photoshop CS5 on my Windows Box. I refuse to do the cloud.
Will be looking for a photo editing app that isn't full of squizz type settings or stickers. That's the big attraction on Android, too. I have one app that doesn't use stickers, but it's Android only.

At Bat pleasantly surprised me. Quite a bit different than Android. I subscribe to MLB on the Roku, so am entitled to At Bat.

I'm trying the iPad as I saw some apps by Autodesk I was interested in. I found them in the app store and will work on getting apps together to install.

I will repurchase an astronomy app that I bought years ago for Palm. The gentleman has a Yahoo group. Also rebuying some other nature guide books. I can also download Craftsy classes to view offline. Can't do that on Android.

I had the original file of the pic I wished to use for wallpaper. Found the required specs for wallpaper and uploaded the pic via Dropbox. Looks fairly decent, now.

Thanks so much. I'll probably have a few off the wall questions and I'll add the forum to reading list.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing well.

Neither of the photo editing apps I mentioned does stickers or the like. They are mostly filters and other effects.

For astronomy I have Star Walk 2. It's a bit complicated for what I use it for (what's the bright star over there?); but I like it.

I've used Adobe Photoshop Express before, mostly for it's masking tools. It's usable without a cloud account (last I checked). For some reason or other it's not currently on my iPad.

Most reactions