What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some apps don't back up when syncing to iTunes

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a way to get them to backup? These are some apps I just downloaded, some free, and one purchased.

Thanks any help.

I would like to get all of them to back up to iTunes.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you sync the iPad to iTunes, do a "transfer purchases" first. To do, connect the iPad and, when it shows up in the iTunes window, right click on the iPad line (in the left column) and select "transfer purchases." The iPad will send everything about that app over to iTunes (the app itself and any data you've got for it). Then, iTunes will have everything about that app.

Marilyn

OP
lizzieh

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, again. You've been most helpful.

OP
lizzieh

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got an error when syncing iTunes cannot sync apps because the apps installed on the iPad could not be determined.

I must be doing something wrong, I did right click and transfer purchases.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Never seen that. What is the exact message you get from iTunes?

Try downloading those apps from the store via/through iTunes to have them there, first. Then, try the "transfer purchases" option again.

Marilyn

OP
lizzieh

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The error message is quoted in my first sentence. It doesn't specify which apps though.

Edit, have just done as you suggest, resync,d and no error message. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this your iTunes (on the computer) to which you normally sync the iPad?

If yes, some solutions I've read about (I've never had this issue, myself) is to (1) restart or reset the iPad, or (2) disconnect the iPad, shut down iTunes and then reboot the computer and iTunes or (3) use a direct USB plug on the computer, not a dock or a multi-USB hub. Maybe even all of these...

To do the restart or reset of the iPad (apologies if you know):

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Or...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Hopefully, one of the above will work...?

Marilyn

OP
lizzieh

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Is this your iTunes (on the computer) to which you normally sync the iPad?

If yes, some solutions I've read about (I've never had this issue, myself) is to (1) restart or reset the iPad, or (2) disconnect the iPad, shut down iTunes and then reboot the computer and iTunes or (3) use a direct USB plug on the computer, not a dock or a multi-USB hub. Maybe even all of these...

To do the restart or reset of the iPad (apologies if you know):

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Or...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Hopefully, one of the above will work...?

Marilyn

It seems to be all ok now, thanks for this info, really useful as I am very new to the iPad.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts