What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOLD iPad for $55

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Atlanta Bargain Hunter
Locals score huge wins on new site created by Emory grads

7:00 am April 20, 2010, by Rana Cash
At age 10, Jacky Lai made his first wallet. It wasn’t enough to just hang out in his parents’ manufacturing company. He wanted to make a big impression and today, he’s no different. Lai, a 23-year-old Emory graduate, aspires to be a “serial entrepreneur,” and now he is on to his third company.
This could be the big break Lai has always dreamed of. He and fellow Emory alum and business partner Terence Poon, 25, are founders of Wavee.com, an online penny auction site where gamesmanship and bargain hunting meet. In this environment, consumers talk more about winning a product than buying it. When you sign-off having scored an iPad for $55, as Milo Warner of Duluth did, it’s easy to see how one would feel more like a chest-bumping champion than a savvy shopper.
“That has been my best find,” said Warner. “It was pure luck.”
Here’s how it works: shoppers bid on items using credits they’ve purchased for 60 cents each. Every time someone bids, the cost of the item goes up by a penny. The scenario plays out for hours at times, until the last bidder is left standing before the clock goes to zero. The winner scores a product discounted as much as 70 to 90 percent below retail. With each bid, the tally of how many credits — and how much money — you’ve spent is displayed. If you lose, you can use the remaining credits to purchase the same item at retail price or put it toward another product. The inventory includes electronics, gift cards, kitchen ware and more.
“If you want to go shopping and you go to Amazon or Best Buy, it’s traditional and easy,” said Poon, “but it’s not exciting.”
The biggest player in the market is Swoopo.com. Wavee started in November and already has nearly 10,000 registered users. Its popular with seasoned auction shoppers like Jeremy Brown, a senior at Kennesaw State, and converts like Catherine Gavrilidis of Sandy Springs.
“I’d heard about penny auction sites before, but they seemed too good to be true,” said Gavrilidis, a 28-year-0ld Georgia State graduate student. “I stayed away from it from a while.”
On her first try, she paid $8 for a video camera valued at $200. In all, she said she’s spent about $500.
“You have a chance to get something super, super cheap, or you’re getting a good deal,” Lai said.
Brown bought an $1,100 iMac for $500 last week.
“It’s definitely a risk since you may end up spending a slightly higher price if you lose,” Brown said. “And it’s time-consuming. But I love the thrill of winning something at a really good deal, and I do most of my shopping online anyway.”

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Genius idea … need to see how they will go in the future , but i believe , is more gambling than buying stuff

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These sites are such a scam...for every person that gets something for half off there are 10 that pay 2x its worth.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It very much is gambling. They bate you somewhat.

Bidder #1: See's there 30 seconds left, bids.
2-minutes added to the time.
Bidder #2: See's there is 30 seconds left, bids.
2 more minutes added to the the time.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where is the wisdom of "if it sounds too good it probably isn't". You would be better off buying a lottery ticket

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
these bidding platforms are getting on the German market as well.
I see it as a rip off, as I have not seen anybody who really did a "cheap deal".

Sad enough, that plenty of people in the internet are stupid enough not to understand that this is another simple but subtle way to get other peoples money.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These so-called 'penny auction' sites don't have the ipads on hand to ship when the auction is over. The site owners have to stand in line to buy them like everyone else....There's one site that's even selling the iPad 3G and taking money from "winning" bidders already.

Last edited:

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been watching but not bidding at the iPad auctions on Quiibids.com.
It's not unusual for the losing bidders to exhaust several hundred chances at $0.60 a throw, coming away with nothing. The Quiibid site tells you that it isn't a ripoff, because losing bidders can apply the cost of expended bids toward a "Buy It Now" purchase, obtaining the item at stated price minus cost of bids, plus shipping. Oh, by the way, the iPad Wi-Fi only16 gig model has a price of $725.00 to 'buy it now'.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not unusual for the losing bidders to exhaust several hundred chances at $0.60 a throw, coming away with nothing. The Quiibid site tells you that it isn't a ripoff, because losing bidders can apply the cost of expended bids toward a "Buy It Now" purchase, obtaining the item at stated price minus cost of bids, plus shipping. Oh, by the way, the iPad Wi-Fi only16 gig model has a price of $725.00 to 'buy it now'.

What? only $225 over list??? Where do I sign up??

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh, don't be hasty. They're now "selling" the 32 gig WiFi iPad for $900. :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh, don't be hasty. They're now "selling" the 32 gig WiFi iPad for $900. :)

Ridiculous...considering I just ordered another iPad from apple the other day at regular price this just makes no sense.

Most reactions

Latest posts