What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Who is Getting 10 Hours Battery Life?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get around 8-9 and that is with screen turned way down, but if I am on it, it is playing music, movies and or videos and web surfing, so guess that isnt too bad.

cfontaine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First two weeks battery fine....

First two weeks I was familiarizing myself with the iPad, playing games, seeing how the browser works, etc. I have not yet viewed movies. It would be down around 69 -70% in the evening and I would recharge to 100% before going to bed.

Then after almost exactly two weeks I got up and the screen was totally black, plugged it in, down to 2%. Recharged it, checked a couple hours later after not using it at all, down to 40% and then down to nothing a couple hours after that.

Called Apple. The rep told me that the Smart Cover doesn't actually turn it off (is that what the ad said?) and told me how to also turn off all the apps. So I did all that and the battery continued to drain very quickly for the next couple days even though I was rarely using the iPad.

They said send it in, we'll look at it. They got it on Monday (yesterday) and I received it back today (Tuesday) at 2:00. I installed the backup from iTunes, played two or three games, put the Smart Cover on and it is now down to 75% at 3:55 p.m. Does that seem right? The note said they were not able to duplicate the problem. Could I have imagined it? Don't think so.

I will say their service method is wonderful. Put in a day and time for them to call you and they do, exactly on time. Someone I could understand who did not treat me like an idiot (which I may be regardless).

So I will give it about three days, turn down the backlight, etc, and then should I turn it off since the Smart Cover doesn't seem to be doing that?

Thank you

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Once i had the same issue with my iPhone 3GS where the battery would drain really fast. Found out that one of the application installed was the culprit. Look for apps that are using the gps or intensive notification. Also, those running in the background like Skype, IMO, or any messenger type can be a bit hard on the battery when left in the background.

my 2 cents...

VicoPad addict!

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once i had the same issue with my iPhone 3GS where the battery would drain really fast. Found out that one of the application installed was the culprit. Look for apps that are using the gps or intensive notification. Also, those running in the background like Skype, IMO, or any messenger type can be a bit hard on the battery when left in the background.

my 2 cents...

VicoPad addict!

Yeah I used to leave things running, but now I close out of everything because if not I dont even get 6 hours and phone is dead LOL

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First two weeks I was familiarizing myself with the iPad, playing games, seeing how the browser works, etc. I have not yet viewed movies. It would be down around 69 -70% in the evening and I would recharge to 100% before going to bed.

Then after almost exactly two weeks I got up and the screen was totally black, plugged it in, down to 2%. Recharged it, checked a couple hours later after not using it at all, down to 40% and then down to nothing a couple hours after that.

Called Apple. The rep told me that the Smart Cover doesn't actually turn it off (is that what the ad said?) and told me how to also turn off all the apps. So I did all that and the battery continued to drain very quickly for the next couple days even though I was rarely using the iPad.

They said send it in, we'll look at it. They got it on Monday (yesterday) and I received it back today (Tuesday) at 2:00. I installed the backup from iTunes, played two or three games, put the Smart Cover on and it is now down to 75% at 3:55 p.m. Does that seem right? The note said they were not able to duplicate the problem. Could I have imagined it? Don't think so.

I will say their service method is wonderful. Put in a day and time for them to call you and they do, exactly on time. Someone I could understand who did not treat me like an idiot (which I may be regardless).

So I will give it about three days, turn down the backlight, etc, and then should I turn it off since the Smart Cover doesn't seem to be doing that?

Thank you

The smart cover just puts it to "sleep." It was advertised as such, because pulling back the cover immediately awakens the iPad. It will continue to use the battery in that mode. If your WiFi is still on while it's in sleep mode, that will also drain the battery. As will any push/fetch notifications.

To preserve the battery (like overnight, while you're sleeping) you need to power it off using the switch. The iPad 2 manual has all that info, including photos and a diagram. During the day I always have the airplane mode on (I have a 3G model) and turn WiFi off unless I actually need it. I also use a handy app (recommended here) called XSysino which ends all apps in one fell swoop.

Last night I let the battery run down, per Apple's recommendation. The iPad gives warnings at 10% and again at 4-5 percent, with a battery icon showing red at the bottom. At 1% remaining battery power, it shuts itself down - except for the depleted battery icon. Recharged it last night, turned it on this morning and while I didn't use it during the day, I did use it pretty heavily tonight - battery is at 81%. It won't need recharging until tomorrow night at the earliest.

Unless you get up in the middle of the night to use the iPad, there's no reason not to power it down overnight using the switch, not just the smart (sleep) cover. At least you'll start the day without a depleted battery.

Apple has some handy tips on how to maintain your iPad battery:
Apple - Batteries - iPad

sandeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am getting 11-12 hours i will use mainly for playing games and browsing net while playing the games i Kept the brightness low so that the battery life longer and also it depends on how much time am spending daily.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At least 10 hours or more. There are loads of suggestions on here but airplane mode is good, turn lighting down, running it down, turn apps completely off, occasional reboot are all good suggestions to get into the habit of doing.

tbronson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
At least 10 hours or more. There are loads of suggestions on here but airplane mode is good, turn lighting down, running it down, turn apps completely off, occasional reboot are all good suggestions to get into the habit of doing.

Im definatly getting a backup battery,they sell them for ipad and iphone in one little unit

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get 10 hours on iPad 1 and 2. My brightness is set low out of preference; ditto for manual email vs. push. I get 10 hours even if I leave 3G running, unless I'm streaming video a lot. I tend to close apps if I remember.

Pcgeek12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gotten about 13.5 hours out of it streaming Pandora and surfing the web the whole time!

Brightness is always on 0%.

Sent from my iPad 1 16 GB Wi-Fi only, using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts