What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So my iPad crashed today

mstikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After experiencing more freezes than usual the past couple of weeks I finally had a catastrophic crash today. It froze while browsing on Safari and when I tried to restart it had the dreaded "Plug and sync with iTunes" icon.

I don't know if it had something to do with the 7.1 update because I hadn't received a notification for it yet but it did install in the restore.

After plugging it to my MacBook Pro I was able to restore it but to my surprise the last save point was in early January 14 despite having automatic icloud backups turned on.

That means that I lost a couple of months of data and Apps. The next time I'll check the status if these so called "automatic backups" more often.

Last edited:

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you did the back up did you choose back up from icloud? Because I think itunes automatically backs up from pc if you don't choose otherwise.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After experiencing more freezes than usual the past couple of weeks I finally had a catastrophic crash today. It froze while browsing on Safari and when I tried to restart it had the dreaded "Plug and sync with iTunes" icon. I don't know if it had something to do with the 7.1 update because I hadn't received a notification for it yet but it did install in the restore. After plugging it to my MacBook Pro I was able to restore it but to my surprise the last save point was in early January 14 despite having automatic icloud backups turned on. That means that I lost a couple of months of data and Apps. The next time I'll check the status if these so called "automatic backups" more often.

For an automatic backup to take place, you must have the following conditions true
1. Your iDevice should be connected to a charger.
2. Your iDevice should be connected to wifi (whether to use cellular data when wifi is not available can be toggled in settings)
3. Your iDevice should be locked.

If any of these conditions are not fulfilled, the backup does not take place. This method works well for me.
Also, what you say is that you connected to your MacBook. Most probably, the restore was taken from your PC backup, ac Gresh said.

Be sure to post your results back if this solves your problem or not. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
mstikes

mstikes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always plug in my iPad with wifi on so this was definitely not the reason for the automatic backups not working.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I always plug in my iPad with wifi on so this was definitely not the reason for the automatic backups not working.

Your iPad has to be LOCKED for an automatic iCloud update. Also, when you backup from your computer, it restores backup from computer (iTunes, NOT iCloud) unless specified.

However, if your iPad was locked and a backup did occur, check the last backup time from : Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backup.

image-2974200415.jpg

image-2409415637.jpg

If the last backup was a recent one, then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all data and settings.

Complete the process of resetting the device and then set it up again from the recent iCloud backup.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you restored your iPad through iTunes, it used the last backup made through iTunes to set it up again. That doesn't mean the automatic backup didn't work, but only that your last backup in iTunes was some time ago.

You'll find your last iCloud backup in Settings - iCloud, as abababababab's post is showing. To restore from an iCloud backup, you should have done so over the air, which gives the possibility to choose an iCloud backup.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This 64 yr old memory can,t remember, does that mean switched off from the side switch rather than using the cover closed method or is there a different action?

iPad can be locked using these methods.

1. Closing the cover, provided you have a cover with a magnetic flap.
2. Pressing the power button (the one at the top beside the mic) once.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, abababababab, I always think of that being a Close rather than a Lock, so was getting confused. :(

Most reactions

Latest posts