What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So ~ I just purchased Splashtop!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is very cool to see my desktop on my iPad! The set up was very easy, especially if I can do it ~ anyone can.:eek::D

It does distort my desktop screen though and I have not figured out how to move pages on the iPad ~ unless I use my mouse and what's the point of that.

Seemed like the computer was controlling the iPad ~ unless I am just not getting it.

Yet.:D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scrolling is 2 fingers. You can do everything on splash top.

It will change your res to 1024x768 if that's what you mean by distort. It's so everything fits properly and is readable. If your desktop is windows based you can go into advanced settings and change it to native resolution. Then it won't change your desktop but you will have to zoom to see things clearly.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I see. And yes, I am windowed based. Tell me ~do you always leave the app running on your computer desktop, or do you turn it off?

I suppose one should leave it on....So I can access my desktop even away from home?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I can access my desktop even away from home?

Yes, but you have to set up a 2nd connection for away from home. At home, Splashtop uses a local IP address, but away from home you'll need to use the one assigned by your ISP. You can find it by Googling "find my IP" or similar. As a security precaution, I've set Splashtop to prompt me for the password on that connection rather than input it automatically, so if my iPad goes missing the thief doesn't have access to my home PC.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep the server loads when windows boots and it has to remain running on your main machine all the time if you want to use it.
That said I prefer to leave my macmini running 24/7 as there are fewer fans, heat and noise than my win 7 machines.

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds decent. Does it support sound? Also, are videos appear slow and grainy?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't really played much with it but I just took a picture of my desktop. It even shows the screensaver! I just thought that was so cool!

3290bbb2.png

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. As a security precaution, I've set Splashtop to prompt me for the password on that connection rather than input it automatically, so if my iPad goes missing the thief doesn't have access to my home PC.

I didn't know what you meant at first but now I do. Could you imagine if we didn't have a password?

Shitums.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds decent. Does it support sound? Also, are videos appear slow and grainy?

It supports streaming sound and video from your home pc. Performance depends on the speed of your connection, so it's better via wifi, okay via 4G, worse with 3G.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone clarify something for me? If you load the Spashtop server on your desktop computer how does the iPad (when you are away from home) get through your firewall/router and to your desktop PC.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, but you have to set up a 2nd connection for away from home. At home, Splashtop uses a local IP address, but away from home you'll need to use the one assigned by your ISP. You can find it by Googling "find my IP" or similar. As a security precaution, I've set Splashtop to prompt me for the password on that connection rather than input it automatically, so if my iPad goes missing the thief doesn't have access to my home PC.

Can someone clarify something for me? If you load the Spashtop server on your desktop computer how does the iPad (when you are away from home) get through your firewall/router and to your desktop PC.

This might help you to understand!

Most reactions

Latest posts