What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So i finally updated my 128GB iPad to iOS 7 yesterday.

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Apple, what was once really interactive and lovely to look at (and something I truly appreciated about having an iPad, ... I've had one since day day one and updated regularly including other devices) for me now evokes a CHEAP AND NASTY feeling.... The white background on so many Apps simply makes stuff next to impossible to read.

Well done Apple in one foul swoop my NZD$1495 tablet is now a piece of junk to use. The worst would be Calendar that I once relied upon but now with all the white, the red and stupid layout it's just CRAP. The second most terrible mess is iBooks with all of my 500+ book collection presented as an uninteresting run of covers on non-interactive indistinguishable surface, juvenile and boring. The none-cover books represent as white boxes on a white background.... Really clever stuff.... Not.

The only stupid thing about all of this is that I was effectively forced to update simply because so many of my other high cost Apps were now only iOS7 only....

Some will say that things are better and that these are the compromises for improvement and that all humans reject change but as someone who works in electronics and IT with an graphics art background, this current batch of changes has been very poor and I beg to wonder just where on God's Great Earth the belief that this Look was even near acceptable.

The iPad and other Apple products are just computers. Surely the tools (the basic Operating System) needs to offer a much wider range of self selectable options so that the individual is able to set their machine up in a way that they can enjoy and therefore interact with the way it looks. Are you hearing me Apple?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want apple to hear you, try posting this in a forum owned and run by Apple.

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want apple to hear you, try posting this in a forum owned and run by Apple.

Weird reply but I can see why someone can easily miss my intended point and yes I agree a more direct approach would be good but then we'd miss out on discussion which is why I am here and surely why this Forum exists. I acknowledge that no doubt the iOS7 love hate thing has been beaten out here already but as a wary user of any device that relies upon software, experience has always taught me to hold off. Interesting too my fellow work colleagues who use iPhones and iPads are all, every single one equally unimpressed so that begs the question WHAT THE HELL WAS APPLE THINKING?

So that all said I take it then you are 100% happy with the way your device lost something special that I'm certain you enjoyed or perhaps you never use iBooks or Calendar or maybe you're still on iOS6?.... :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Weird reply but I can see why someone can easily miss my intended point and yes I agree a more direct approach would be good but then we'd miss out on discussion which is why I am here and surely why this Forum exists. I acknowledge that no doubt the iOS7 love hate thing has been beaten out here already but as a wary user of any device that relies upon software, experience has always taught me to hold off. Interesting too my fellow work colleagues who use iPhones and iPads are all, every single one equally unimpressed so that begs the question WHAT THE HELL WAS APPLE THINKING?

So that all said I take it then you are 100% happy with the way your device lost something special that I'm certain you enjoyed or perhaps you never use iBooks or Calendar or maybe you're still on iOS6?.... :)

Weird reply? Well, not at all - Apple does not support this forum and if you want to register a complaint to them then this is not the place. Now, if you are just complaining about the 'look' of iOS 7, then that also is not new here, i.e. there have been numerous posts and a number of threads already on the topic - a little searching may have shown that this was oft discussed, and that you likely will receive few responses - it's been done and life goes on.

NOW, if you want to understand why Jony Ive wanted to 'dump' skeuomorphism, then check HERE - e.g. are you in the market for a 1950s station wagon w/ 'faux wood' on the side? ;)

Wife & I both have iPads - I upgraded to iOS 7 about a month after its release - YES, it was different and after a few weeks, we did not care at all as long as the device still worked well (or even better) - most of us here have 'gone on' - either follow the crowd or change to another brand. Dave :)

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I haven't purchased Apple's Pages, Numbers and others because they won't install unless I update to iOS 7.x. I did sent a message to apple telling them I was willing to pay for the last version that worked with my current operating system (iOS 5.1.1)

I sent this;

I am trying to purchase Numbers and Pages and cannot. I get a message that I need to upgrade to iOS7 which I do not want to do with my older hardware. When I purchase my next phone in a couple of months (5S) I will have iOS7 and can get the apps for free, I am willing to pay for them now to get them now, but need to get the previous version for my iOS. Is this possible?

and received this

Welcome to iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is xxxxxx

Xxxxy, your request for assistance has reached iTunes Store Customer Support, which answers questions about billing, customer accounts, downloading purchases, and iTunes Store content. Although this team does not offer technical support for iPad, I'm happy to guide you to some Apple resources that should help.

For this issue, you may need to call our AppleCare technical support team. A technical Advisor will be able to tell you about Apple's complimentary and fee-based support. The technical Advisor can also assist you in determining what option might be most helpful to you in this case. To find the appropriate phone number, please visit:

Contacting Apple for support and service
http://support.apple.com/kb/Xxxx

Another option is to describe your issue on our website. After you have described the issue on our website, you can arrange for an Apple Advisor to call you. You can receive a phone call now or you can make an appointment to have an Apple Advisor call you at a more convenient time. To explore this option, please visit Express Lane:

https://expresslane.apple.com/

Certain Express Lane Support options are only free during your Apple hardware product's complimentary support period or with an AppleCare Protection Plan.

If you require more assistance, you may wish to call our AppleCare technical support team. A technical Advisor will be able to tell you about Apple's complimentary and fee-based support. The technical Advisor can also assist you in determining what option might be most helpful to you in this case. To find the appropriate phone number, please visit:

Contacting Apple for support and service
http://support.apple.com/kb/Cxxx

I hope the above information would be helpful for you. Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I redacted (?) the names and link to support.

I don't believe the original reviewer actually looked at the message before shifting it to tech support nor did the respondent. They also had my information where they were able to see I have AppleCare + on my iPad which would entitle me to technical support if indeed that was my need.

Depressing...

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This wasn't to hijack, but to show that sometimes all you have is a little commiseration with fellow forum members.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Apple can't please everyone....as for iBooks or Calendar, I like the both but I don't rely on them heavily. Probably what I like least about iOS7 is the bright colors. I do think they need to tone down on the use of white. I found that I dislike iOS7 a lot less as time went on. Some things I found actually improved in regards to elements of the look that enhance readability, but it took a while to notice them. And as to what they were thinking, it had a lot to do with creating a new fresh look. After 6 generations, it was indeed time for them to change up the game or risk looking old and dated. I think they made the right decision and I expect iOS7 will improve.

But if you have a point, you should state your point. You are not the first to complain about iOS7. Nothing is going to happen in regards to things improving if you make noise here. The message needs to get to Apple as they have the power to address your issues. If everyone did this, then something *might* happen. Posting here about what we cannot influence achieves nothing. And it's not as if iOS7 came out last week.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been getting so much butthurt here. There are thousands even millions if people who doesn't like the new design. I am one of them, but you don't see me complaning do you? I use themes in cydia to cover that horrible design. And all that white is painful to the eyes, I use JB tweaks to change that. Maybe you should have checked the design before you got to iOS 7.

And also don't use that againts me as the reason why I went to iOS 7 is because of its features.

But have you ever heard one of the original sayings? "Don't judge a book by its cover". iOS 7 is great. Sure it may not have a nice appeal in design but the design does not completly tell the story.

Also Apple products are not "Just computers". They are part of my life now and most of the people here. Everyone her loves tech, some even dream to be a great technomancer some day.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only solution to the insanely bright UI is to jailbreak and install a tweak that enables color management of the UI or just a straight dark overlay throughout the entire system, which should be a stock feature of the iOS as is. I do agree that the white can but be a pain in many cases, especially during the day though, but as @AQ_OC said, Apple can't please everyone, but they're constantly "borrowing" features from the Jailbreaking scene, so hopefully they learn about UI color changes and applies it to the stock iOS so that it's openly accessible by everyone.

Most reactions