What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMS app for Ipad ?

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a simple sms app I can use on my jailbroken Ipad 2. Using my existing data plan ?
I don't want / need free sms - just a simple normal sms app as we have in the Iphone ?
It's easier to type on the larger keyboard of the Ipad.
I tried Texplusgold but the sms appear to go but are not received.
-keevill-

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Hacking section, where I think it will receive better attention.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a JB iPad then there is an app for the iPad that can send and receive SMS messages directly from the iPad. You'll see there are plenty of threads in the Forum that discuss this app with Member's views and comments.

Tim

OP
K

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a JB iPad then there is an app for the iPad that can send and receive SMS messages directly from the iPad. You'll see there are plenty of threads in the Forum that discuss this app with Member's views and comments.

Tim

I assume you mean the Hacking forum ?
I've searched for sms app and could find nothing - can you spoil me with a clue ?
:)
-keevill-

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SwirlySMS for iPad allows a 3G iPad to send and receive text messages just like a normal phone.

OP
K

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but neither of these apps work for me in TH.
Unless, I'm doing something wrong .......
For Ex , when I try to activate Swirly with my Mobile, it never confirms activation and when I send sms, they are not received.
I am unable to figure out the Islaam one but that's no surprise.
Anyone got a working simple sms app for Ipad ?
-keevill-

advsahir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For Ex , when I try to activate Swirly with my Mobile, it never confirms activation and when I send sms, they are not received.
-keevill-

swirlysms works fine for me here in india. i can send and receive sms instantly. are you sure you are using a normal micro sim which has both data and sms/voice facility? because if you are using an ipad specific sim then it will only have data facility

oh and yes confirm it with your ipad sim no.

the best thing about swirlsms is that it is free and it has swirlynet which means it will only use the sim account balance when it is not able to connect to a data network such as wifi or 3g. this is awsome!!

Last edited:
OP
K

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
-keevill-

swirlysms works fine for me here in india. i can send and receive sms instantly. are you sure you are using a normal micro sim which has both data and sms/voice facility? because if you are using an ipad specific sim then it will only have data facility

oh and yes confirm it with your ipad sim no.

I believe my Ipad Micro sim is only for data.
I do not want / need free sms - I just want to use the larger keyboard on the ipad.
If I have a data sim only , would this be the reason why Swirly does not work ?
-keevill-

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't be able to use iPhoneIT (iPhoneIslam) because it does not support iPad2 yet.

However, you should not have a problem with Swirly. It simply activates the ability to use SMS over the 3G radio, so it should be universal. I have a data only plan and it works (although it is expensive if you don't have them on your plan.

What happens if you send a SMS to your iPad from a phone now that Swirly is on there?

ccoll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5 has imessage on wifi for free when it comes out

OP
K

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You won't be able to use iPhoneIT (iPhoneIslam) because it does not support iPad2 yet.

However, you should not have a problem with Swirly. It simply activates the ability to use SMS over the 3G radio, so it should be universal. I have a data only plan and it works (although it is expensive if you don't have them on your plan.

What happens if you send a SMS to your iPad from a phone now that Swirly is on there?

Perhaps I should explain that in my Ipad , I have a micro-sim ( which is a second sim on my existing cellular account) . I believe that it is purely a 'data sim' and although, I have never tried it, I don't think that I could take it out and use it for telephone calls in a mobile phone.
If I get someone to send an sms to my number, I suppose it should be received by both iphone and ipad ( on Swirly ) but it only arrives on the iphone.
As I said, the activation on Swirly does not complete.
Perhaps, the problem is caused by my having 2 sim cards on the same number.
However, it would not make much sense to have two contact numbers - one for iphone sms and one for ipad sms.
-keevill-

OP
K

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5 has imessage on wifi for free when it comes out

Pretty sure that won't work with gateways in Thailand.
IOS5 will break my jailbreak won't it ?
But thx for pointing it out.
-keevill-

Most reactions

Latest posts