What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smart covers

supersteve1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:( I have just seen on another site that the smart covers arnt up to much, is it right that the magnets arnt very good, also they come off very easily, and that also cause there no cover on the back they can easily gets scratched.
has anybody else had similar problems with there covers, and do you also think that they are a rip off.
Or just one more point, is it true also they dont keep the screen clean, like what we were made to believe.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't clean the screen at all. I got a little cleaning with it by taking it off and rubbing the screen with it. I don't really intend to use it for cleaning the screen anyway. I'll just use the microfiber cloth that came ith it for that. The magnets seem to hold mine on pretty good.

Chakatajaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if the invisible shield interferes with the magnet or not but I have noticed if I hold my iPad upside down sometimes the weight of the smart cover is too much for it's own magnets to hold and will come open. I would probably return mine but I already threw out the packaging. I forget the brand but I have seen another case that has the same style front cover but also has covers the back as well. I'm not sure if that one has stronger magnets in the front though. If it has good reviews I will probably switch to it.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any shields on my iPad 2, but my black leather Smart Case snaps on and holds tightly. I can lift the iPad with the case and hinges hold, but I wouldn't recommend doing that very often. :) The surface magnets are strong and hold the cover securely on mine.

It would be a good idea to also place a hardshell cover on the back that has corner reinforcement like the Mareware back cover. It works with the Smart cover and provides protection from back scratches, but more importantly protects the corners which are the most vulnerable to being scratched or having impact in a fall to a hard floor.

Spag_187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if the invisible shield interferes with the magnet or not but I have noticed if I hold my iPad upside down sometimes the weight of the smart cover is too much for it's own magnets to hold and will come open. I would probably return mine but I already threw out the packaging. I forget the brand but I have seen another case that has the same style front cover but also has covers the back as well. I'm not sure if that one has stronger magnets in the front though. If it has good reviews I will probably switch to it.

yes, I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed the invisible shield on the back of their iPad as well. I'd hate to spend the money if it hinders the smart cover from keeping a good grasp...

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not just use the smart cover to protect the back of the IPad by turning it over when not using it. That way the smart cover will be on the surface and the back of the IPad will be face up? That's what I intend to do when my IPad and smart cover arrive.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm guessing most aftermarket covers will also have the magnet on them. Even if they don't why couldn't you buy a roll of the self-sticking thin magnet and put it on your case?

OP
S

supersteve1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reall y dont think that apple have really thought this through, i just carnt understand why they coulnt of made the smart cover fit all the way round, not only protecting the front, but the back has well, come on apple get a grip.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why not just use the smart cover to protect the back of the IPad by turning it over when not using it. That way the smart cover will be on the surface and the back of the IPad will be face up? That's what I intend to do when my IPad and smart cover arrive.

Can you do that? It looks to me like you have to remove the cover completely when using the iPad, which is a downside for me - it makes it easier to misplace or leave somewhere..

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I reall y dont think that apple have really thought this through, i just carnt understand why they coulnt of made the smart cover fit all the way round, not only protecting the front, but the back has well, come on apple get a grip.

The smart cover does what apple wants it to do. And, if you do think about it, it would be impossible to find another Cover and 2-position stand for the iPad for even a fraction of the price that the Smart Cover provides.

Don't get me wrong, I don't LIKE the smart cover, because it doesn't work for me and how I use it..

But the smart cover does some things and it does them in a decent way.

1) It protects the screen from getting scratches.
2) It provides a vertical stand
3) it provides a horizontal stand
4) It gives a heck of a lot of "grip" when on, either front or back, versus the naked iPad
5) It's better than NOTHING.

Can you do that? It looks to me like you have to remove the cover completely when using the iPad, which is a downside for me - it makes it easier to misplace or leave somewhere..

No, you don't have to remove it. The hinge allows it to fold completely over onto the back of the iPad. There's no reason you need to take the cover off for... well, anything.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I was not as clear as I could have been with my previous post. What I wanted to imply was will not using the iPad turn it over face side down with the cover still on the glass side. That way the back facing upward would not get anything on it. While using the iPad turn the smart cover over to cover the back side while still attached in it's regular position. That way the back side would be protected. Another has posted that he put small clear plastic round feet (used for cupboard doors) on the back side one in each corner of his ipad2 to keep the back side always above any surface it may sit upon.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The smart cover does what apple wants it to do. And, if you do think about it, it would be impossible to find another Cover and 2-position stand for the iPad for even a fraction of the price that the Smart Cover provides.

Never say "impossible": it's a matter of time now before third-party case vendors will start releasing their designs and options as alternatives to Apple's "buy this if you're too lazy to look/impatient to wait" offering.

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You do not have to take it off, it folds back flat against the back, or you can fold in half against the back. It works just fine that way.

rdclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you don't have to remove it. The hinge allows it to fold completely over onto the back of the iPad. There's no reason you need to take the cover off for... well, anything.

It covers the rear camera when it's folded back. Fortunately it's on the side opposite the hinge, so you can just fold the first segment of the cover back over on itself to reveal the camera. Still, not very elegant.

I have a leather Smart Cover, and I find that it's grippy enough that I can securely hold the iPad in the palm of my hand when the cover is folded all the way around the back, instead of having to grasp it by the bezel. Works well for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts