What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart cover

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I discovered yesterday that the smart cover does not put your iPad 2 to sleep but simply turns off the screen.
If you run one of the talking characters that repeat what you say you will see it still runs with the smart cover closed.
That is a big disappointment to me because we are getting less battery life.
I thought it was putting it to sleep and waking it up when you open it.
I may disable that feature. Although the battery life is awesome on this thing though.

What do you think?

64GB 3G White iPad

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't realize until my wife discovered it the other day that it'll continue to play music with the smart cover closed. I guess we just have to be careful what apps we leave open.:)

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that's the case, then the battery really is awesome. I've had mine for two weeks now and haven't had to charge it yet!

stuhrer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:
Yeah, I didn't realize until my wife discovered it the other day that it'll continue to play music with the smart cover closed. I guess we just have to be careful what apps we leave open.:)

Well, I think that's normal behavior. Music keeps playing if you put an iOS device to sleep. I don't have a smart cover but if I put the iPad to sleep while my iPod or TuneIn apps are playing music using the stand-by button it keeps playing. You have to stop the app entirely or let it stop playing. In other word, it's not a problem related to the smart cover.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For music it is normal. For apps it is not.
I just figured it out. It only seems to be the one dodo bird one and it does the same thing when I put it in sleep mode with the button.
I wonder if it just does this with apps that have multi process support.

64GB 3G White iPad

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:

Well, I think that's normal behavior. Music keeps playing if you put an iOS device to sleep. I don't have a smart cover but if I put the iPad to sleep while my iPod or TuneIn apps are playing music using the stand-by button it keeps playing. You have to stop the app entirely or let it stop playing. In other word, it's not a problem related to the smart cover.

Wasn't saying it was a problem with the cover. It can be quite handy actually. Was just pointing out that I wasn't aware it did that. Since I don't own any other iOS devices I don't have that experience to go by.

nedcronin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't there a place in settings to specify if you want the smart cover to put the iPad to sleep or not?

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nedcronin said:
Isn't there a place in settings to specify if you want the smart cover to put the iPad to sleep or not?

Yes there is. Settings, general, iPad cover lock / unlock.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. I guess we just have to be careful what apps we leave open.:)

Why?
If I were to somehow close the cover without realizing music is still playing, the battery would run down no?

I never close my apps. I exit out of them but I don't double click to pop them back up to actually close them per se'.

I still get over 10 hours battery life. I would think it must be pretty insignificant amount...yes?

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I were to somehow close the cover without realizing music is still playing, the battery would run down no?

I never close my apps. I exit out of them but I don't double click to pop them back up to actually close them per se'.

I still get over 10 hours battery life. I would think it must be pretty insignificant amount...yes?
I'm thinking if you were to do it for a significant amount of time. I've never done it but I would think if I left the music playing overnight, it would drain the battery.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

With the music off, I too have noticed little difference, although I try to X out the apps when I know there are a several of them open. I've heard that some of the multitasking apps can continue to access the network in different ways, draining the battery, but really haven't experienced it first hand.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do that, too, especially going to sleep myself. I just set my sleep ap to turn it off and go to sleep. Always works. Sometimes I listen to a boom and does. I do the same thing, set the sleep timer. But on books I set a bookmark in case I've missed something and need to go back to last.

OP
Ncaissie

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
With the music off, I too have noticed little difference, although I try to X out the apps when I know there are a several of them open. I've heard that some of the multitasking apps can continue to access the network in different ways, draining the battery, but really haven't experienced it first hand.

Draining your battery and data plan if you have a cap. I have 500MB a month.

64GB 3G White iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts