What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover with Back

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine came in. I am disappointed. It doesn't have the smart shut off feature at all. It has two magnets to hold the cover down on either corner. The other problem is I have to use the micro-fiber side down as a stand. That defeats the purpose to me I wanted the vinyl side down so it doesn't pick up grit and dirt obviously. The fit and finish are good and it fits like a glove. When closed the front corners are not flush with the iPad so it doesn't lay 100% flat. If it had the smart function I would take it in a second. I will see if I can get a magnet to work in it.

Nice case but not what we thought. If the apple cover also sits microfiber side out when used as a stand then if you add a magnet as I did in the next post, this may be the one for you.

Edit: After further review, I found out the Apple cover is also microfiber side out. Therefore the addition of the magnet I installed has made this a great case.

Many thanks for the pictures. A quick question, is the material on the back plastic or is it covered in the same material as the front (vinyl, faux leather etc.)??

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine came in. I am disappointed. It doesn't have the smart shut off feature at all. It has two magnets to hold the cover down on either corner. The other problem is I have to use the micro-fiber side down as a stand. That defeats the purpose to me I wanted the vinyl side down so it doesn't pick up grit and dirt obviously. The fit and finish are good and it fits like a glove. When closed the front corners are not flush with the iPad so it doesn't lay 100% flat. If it had the smart function I would take it in a second. I will see if I can get a magnet to work in it.

Nice case but not what we thought. If the apple cover also sits microfiber side out when used as a stand then if you add a magnet as I did in the next post, this may be the one for you.

Edit: After further review, I found out the Apple cover is also microfiber side out. Therefore the addition of the magnet I installed has made this a great case.

Many thanks for the pictures. A quick question, is the material on the back plastic or is it covered in the same material as the front (vinyl, faux leather etc.)??

It's the faux leather. It feels very good.

majura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the Macally reviews guys. Think I might get one too, pity they only have it in black right now.

Just a thought since it's been mentioned here already re: the Smart Cover not protecting the back...

I was thinking if it were possible for the smart cover hinge magnets to work through a silicone skin that would protect the back?

That way you'd protect the back and sides from scratches etc and still have the convenience of using the iPad sans-flap.

BigBerner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marware Back Cover

Just ordered a Marware Back Cover for $39.99, does not interfere with the Smart Cover, should ship by month end...

Liberal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the case this morning and I have mixed feelings so far. I have found a few problems, big problems, in my opinion:

1. The cover of the case does not fold back flat on the back when opened. It can be done but only at the expense of integrity of the spine of the case.

2. The folding of the cover works quite well for the typing position. I can tap pretty hard without it collapsing on me. However, when I attempt to stand the case in the position to watch a video or read a book or newspaper, it takes only seconds for it to fall back on itself. Maybe it just needs to "break-in" but for the time being its very annoying.

3. I worry about the inner microfiber material. I've had it open for maybe 30 minutes and it is covered with debris, fuzzies, etc. Not really a "big" problem but still worth noting.

As for the good:

1. The case is remarkably thin.
2. The back is well protected.
3. The typing/browsing position is perfect.
4. The magnets in the corners work well to keep the case shut.
5. Outer faux leather material is tactilely pleasing.
6. The case itself is very sleek, stylish, and handsome.

Has anyone with the case been able to get the iPad to stay up in the video/ reading position?

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered a Marware Back Cover for $39.99, does not interfere with the Smart Cover, should ship by month end...

I ordered one too. Mareware makes great cases. This is a thin black shell that protects the back and corners, and is designed to work with Smart Covers. I'm keeping my black leather Smart Cover for business meetings and clients, and will be using other color Smart Covers to fit my mood (and ensemble :) ) on any given day.

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Liberal said:
I just got the case this morning and I have mixed feelings so far. I have found a few problems, big problems, in my opinion:

1. The cover of the case does not fold back flat on the back when opened. It can be done but only at the expense of integrity of the spine of the case.

2. The folding of the cover works quite well for the typing position. I can tap pretty hard without it collapsing on me. However, when I attempt to stand the case in the position to watch a video or read a book or newspaper, it takes only seconds for it to fall back on itself. Maybe it just needs to "break-in" but for the time being its very annoying.

3. I worry about the inner microfiber material. I've had it open for maybe 30 minutes and it is covered with debris, fuzzies, etc. Not really a "big" problem but still worth noting.

As for the good:

1. The case is remarkably thin.
2. The back is well protected.
3. The typing/browsing position is perfect.
4. The magnets in the corners work well to keep the case shut.
5. Outer faux leather material is tactilely pleasing.
6. The case itself is very sleek, stylish, and handsome.

Has anyone with the case been able to get the iPad to stay up in the video/ reading position?

You need to break it in for a few days. I have the standing/viewing position working fine. Also it will fold all the way back once it breaks in and lie flat without damaging the spine. The microfiber easily picks up stuff I was surprised at this as well. My understanding is the apple cover does the same thing.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The microfiber easily picks up stuff I was surprised at this as well. My understanding is the apple cover does the same thing.
The Apple Smart Cover's microfiber lining does not pick up link as easily as the Macally case. The quality of the microfiber is definately better on the Apple cover though.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tinman, that is the first back protector I have seen that breaks it down by 3g Verizon, and ATT, vs WIFI only. Thanks

Can't believe Dorothy liked the scarecrow more......;)

majura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been happily using the Cool Bananas SmartShell. Reasonably priced (unlike the Joy, Enki, and X gear ones). Comes up over the bezel to the ipad is fully protected. It's thin, light and works a treat providing a nice tactile surface.

Most reactions