What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover with Back

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I took a refrigerator magnet (thin rectangular kind) and now it works as a smart cover . It appear to be the correct thickness as well to level out the cover with the corners.

Question: does the apple smart cover sit microfibers side out as a stand?

Yes, because of the way it rolls back, there is no way the plastic could be on the outside.

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In that case then with the addition of the magnet, I find it acceptable. I just used a but of glue and affixed the magnet. It seems to work perfectly now. Why they didn't add a magnet is beyond me unless they didn't know the placement.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
JF7FSU said:
Mine came in. I am disappointed. It doesn't have the smart shut off feature at all. It has two magnets to hold the cover down on either corner. The other problem is I have to use the micro-fiber side down as a stand. That defeats the purpose to me I wanted the vinyl side down so it doesn't pick up grit and dirt obviously. The fit and finish are good and it fits like a glove. When closed the front corners are not flush with the iPad so it doesn't lay 100% flat. If it had the smart function I would take it in a second. I will see if I can get a magnet to work in it.

Nice case but not what we thought. If the apple cover also sits microfiber side out when used as a stand then if you add a magnet as I did in the next post, this may be the one for you.

Edit: After further review, I found out the Apple cover is also microfiber side out. Therefore the addition of the magnet I installed has made this a great case.

The smart shut off feature is something you must enable via settings

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine must have been enabled by default. It works great now The thing is leatherlike vinyl and feels good on the back. My wife already complimented the look of the case.

MashableMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me for my confusion, but are you saying that it works with the smart features as is after you've enabled them on the device or only with the magnet you've attached to the case?

zoomdroid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine came in. I am disappointed. It doesn't have the smart shut off feature at all. It has two magnets to hold the cover down on either corner. The other problem is I have to use the micro-fiber side down as a stand. That defeats the purpose to me I wanted the vinyl side down so it doesn't pick up grit and dirt obviously. The fit and finish are good and it fits like a glove. When closed the front corners are not flush with the iPad so it doesn't lay 100% flat. If it had the smart function I would take it in a second. I will see if I can get a magnet to work in it.

Nice case but not what we thought. If the apple cover also sits microfiber side out when used as a stand then if you add a magnet as I did in the next post, this may be the one for you.

Edit: After further review, I found out the Apple cover is also microfiber side out. Therefore the addition of the magnet I installed has made this a great case.

Hi, I am new here and love my new Ipad2. Anyway, I had a question for you. In the pictures, I noticed that you can see parts of the aluminum frame on the top and bottom, which looks like it is unprotected. Is there some clear plastic protecting those areas that just cannot be seen in the pictures? If so, would you mind taking some close-up pictures of the area also. I also noticed that on one of your pictures, the last one at the bottom right, it looks like you managed to fold the case so the outside of the case is on the table. Am I seeing this correctly or is the felt side out in all the pictures. Can the cover fold entirely over so that is rests flush to the back of the case? Thanks!

Last edited:

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guy. I was able to talk the clerk at wal-mart down to 39.00 for a leather smart cover yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MashableMe said:
Forgive me for my confusion, but are you saying that it works with the smart features as is after you've enabled them on the device or only with the magnet you've attached to the case?

Only after I installed the magnet.

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zoomdroid said:
Hi, I am new here and love my new Ipad2. Anyway, I had a question for you. In the pictures, I noticed that you can see parts of the aluminum frame on the top and bottom, which looks like it is unprotected. Is there some clear plastic protecting those areas that just cannot be seen in the pictures? If so, would you mind taking some close-up pictures of the area also. I also noticed that on one of your pictures, the last one at the bottom right, it looks like you managed to fold the case so the outside of the case is on the table. Am I seeing this correctly or is the felt side out in all the pictures. Can the cover fold entirely over so that is rests flush to the back of the case? Thanks!

The corners are protecting the aluminum sides all around. I suppose if you dropped it on something not a flat surface on the side it may get damaged. I think It is well protected in this cover.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rlarson_mn said:
Well I intend to use my Smrt Case just like it's designed. The only difference will be when I am through usng my ipad2 it will place it face down onto what ever surface it will rest on. That way the face will be protected and the back will not rest on any surface.

You shall be heck a disciplined individual I must say:)

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How and where did u add magnets? And now is it on sleep/ awake cycle? Lol

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZibaWal said:
How and where did u add magnets? And now is it on sleep/ awake cycle? Lol

I used a dab of carpenters glue. It works perfectly. The more I use it the more I like it.

Attachments

• image-3045081039.jpg
    image-3045081039.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 397
  • image-1585254726.jpg
    image-1585254726.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 218

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JF7FSU said:
I used a dab of carpenters glue. It works perfectly. The more I use it the more I like it.

Thanks. I can see that you did glue on top right hand corner or edge of first panel ! Am I right? How far exactly from the edges?

More so some one said , sleep awake with smart case is in settings? I can't see that?

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JF7FSU said:

Thanks. I can see that you did glue on top right hand corner or edge of first panel ! Am I right? How far exactly from the edges?

More so some one said , sleep awake with smart case is in settings? I can't see that?

I just slid the magnet along the iPad's glass until I found the spot that triggered the wake/sleep. Its about 2.75" from the right side.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine as well, and like it a lot - especially for the price. Will use the Apple Smart Cover when I'm home, and the Macally case when I'm travelling about. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts