What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover with Back

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tinman said:
While this looks like a nice cover can it really be called "smart" cover? It doesn't seem to attach with magnets nor does it lock/unlock iPad 2... unless I missed something.

What am I missing about the "smart" part? When I read thread title I assume it attached with magnets etc.

Michael

No, it doesn't attach via magnets. If you look at the photos carefully you'll see that it's really a thin shell that snaps onto the back of the iPad (like most hardshell cases) and then the cover is attached to that shell and wraps around the iPad. I would ASSUME the designers were smart enough to include magnets in the part of the cover that falls into place across the bezel.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rambler358 said:
I could only find the old model on Amazon's site, not the new one for pre-order. :confused:

The new one for the iPad 2 isn't available yet, even from MacAlly. But soon....

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rambler358 said:
I know, but the OP said Amazon had a preorder link link, but I couldn't find it.

You're not the only one. Looked there, too. Didn't see anything of the sort.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
No, it doesn't attach via magnets. If you look at the photos carefully you'll see that it's really a thin shell that snaps onto the back of the iPad (like most hardshell cases) and then the cover is attached to that shell and wraps around the iPad. I would ASSUME the designers were smart enough to include magnets in the part of the cover that falls into place across the bezel.

I think they would have stated it if it had magnets to lock/unlock iPad 2. So again, what makes this "smart?"

Michael

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USBill said:
Has anyone tried an ipad2 in the old iPad Apple case? My one reservation for the new model is the lack of corners on the cover. I've dropped my iPad 1 twice and the stiff edge of the Apple case absorbed the impact and kept my device safe.

Yes, it fits pretty well. It is somewhat loose of course but the rigid edges of the case keep it from popping out. Holding it with the 2 in it feel very similar to the 1. I almost sold my iPad 1 along with it last week. I'm glad I didn't just because to me the old case is still an acceptable extra for my 2.

As to the new Smart Cover, only thing I find disappointing is when you fold it around the back the magnets do not hold it there well. Slightest movement and the first one or two segment folds on it off. I'd like to ask if you all are having the same experience with it. I am hoping it is defective and a swapped one will stay put. But I doubt that, please someone say if it is so. If it is, that poor design. But otherwise I like it. I like the way it pops and off so easy for one thing. I like to wipe off the whole display often and that makes it really easy of course. Another minor concern is the lack of protection if you drop it. But then again the trade off for that is the less bulk and weight.

I may return it and get one from Speck or whatever. I have seen pictures of some really nice looking ones but they are not going to be on sale until later in the month or in to April.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
Yes, it fits pretty well. It is somewhat loose of course but the rigid edges of the case keep it from popping out. Holding it with the 2 in it feel very similar to the 1. I almost sold my iPad 1 along with it last week. I'm glad I didn't just because to me the old case is still an acceptable extra for my 2.

As to the new Smart Cover, only thing I find disappointing is when you fold it around the back the magnets do not hold it there well. Slightest movement and the first one or two segment folds on it off. I'd like to ask if you all are having the same experience with it. I am hoping it is defective and a swapped one will stay put. But I doubt that, please someone say if it is so. If it is, that poor design. But otherwise I like it. I like the way it pops and off so easy for one thing. I like to wipe off the whole display often and that makes it really easy of course. Another minor concern is the lack of protection if you drop it. But then again the trade off for that is the less bulk and weight.

I may return it and get one from Speck or whatever. I have seen pictures of some really nice looking ones but they are not going to be on sale until later in the month or in to April.

Another thing I just thought of that may seem obvious to y'all is to put some think bubble wrap or something soft and thin in behind the iPad. I looked around a haven't seen anything yet that looks like that will work well but am going to try later today and I'll report back.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the black leather smart case. it is too nice to not have, but I also worry about the back of the iPad. I came up with a cool solution. I have a sheet of those tiny round, clear rubber feet that are self-adhesive. I put one in each of the four corners on the back of the iPad. It keeps the back of the tables, and keeps the front edge off the table when the case is in typing position.

You don't even notice them, and when you do, they look like they belong there. The ones I have are not "permanent" so they pull off with no damage.

Great idea. I have the red smart cover coming and I will take your idea and do the same.

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is now available on the Macally website. I can't decide if I want to try it or just keep my smart cover.

OP
JF7FSU

JF7FSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JF7FSU said:
I canceled the Pre-order on Amazon and found it on ebay with free shipping:

NEW MACALLY BLACK BOOKSTAND CASE STAND FOR APPLE iPAD-2 - eBay (item 350446673969 end time Apr-10-11 07:04:37 PDT)

I will be the guinea pig then. Will post pics and a review when it arrives. i ordered it yesterday hopefully will be here this week. I am going with the assumption that it has the magnets.

Cool. You be the guinea pig, then. Looking forward to your review and pics, as my iPad won't be here for 2-3 weeks.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up I ordered too. I don't have my ipad 2 yet so they should arrive about the same time.

Most reactions

Latest posts