1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Smart Cover with Back

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by JF7FSU, Mar 12, 2011.

1. JF7FSU

JF7FSU iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone looked at this? It appears to be a smart cover with a back and for $29.99. Available at Amazon for Preorder in a few colors.

BOOKSTAND2B Macally Peripherals
  2. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I have the version for the original iPad. It is fantastic quality and utility.
  3. TonyIsSocial

TonyIsSocial iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll probably shop around for a new cover. I got so use to the 1st gen apple cover that this one just doesn't do it for me
  4. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Has anyone tried an ipad2 in the old iPad Apple case? My one reservation for the new model is the lack of corners on the cover. I've dropped my iPad 1 twice and the stiff edge of the Apple case absorbed the impact and kept my device safe.
  5. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Ha! I noted that, too, in another thread about the same subject. This looks to be a winner, considering it incorporates the same principal design as the Apple Smart Cover but also solves the problem of leaving the rest of the device unprotected. And it's the same price, too. Very interesting, indeed.

I'll have to wait and see what the reviews are once they become available. My new iPad won't be here for a while, so I have some time to research cases, etc.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  6. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    That case looks neat, but I would want to try a hands on first.
    For me the primary question is one of "gripability". How easy is it to carry around one handed without it slipping. Next comes protection if it does slip :)
  7. bored2426

bored2426 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That looks cool. Any idea when it is coming out?
  8. Bennettb

Bennettb iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    Didn't see anything that said you could use the back camera with the cover on.
  9. 1million

1million iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    When I got my IPad 1 as a Bday gift I also got a red leather stand case. So when I took my IPad back to the store to soon get the IPad 2 I ended up keeping the case which was ordered from Amazon and now I'm using it for my IPad 2. It's fits like a glove.
  10. mynameiserich

mynameiserich iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't see anything about it using the magnets either to have it wake/sleep on open/close. That is a big seller for me with the smart cover.
  11. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Looks alright, but I'll stick with the Apple Smart Cover and neoprene sleeve combo personally.
  12. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Then there is the MacAlly BOOKSTAND. I'm keeping a close eye on that one.

Yes, it doesn't ATTACH by magnet (the whole shebang is around a shell that snaps onto the back of the iPad, which is good for protection) but I believe there may be magnets in the cover part that DO allow it to snap into place and put the iPad to sleep/wake it up when pulled away. That part wasn't mentioned on their website (unless I overlooked it) so I'll write and ask them.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  13. MadDragon1846

MadDragon1846 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all, 1st post lol *waves* :p

Anyway, this is just the type of cover I was hoping for!. I loved the smart cover idea, but was rather worried about the back getting all scratched...

Also this is in black!, I didn't want to have to buy a leather smart cover, so if I didn't see this cover, I'd of ended up making do with a blue plastic smart cover instead.

I was reading up on the zagg invisibleshield for the back, but it sounded alot of trouble compaired to just snapping on a case. :)

Now I'v just got to hope I can find somewhere selling it for the UK :rolleyes:
  14. Tarkio

Tarkio iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the black leather smart case. it is too nice to not have, but I also worry about the back of the iPad. I came up with a cool solution. I have a sheet of those tiny round, clear rubber feet that are self-adhesive. I put one in each of the four corners on the back of the iPad. It keeps the back off the tables, and keeps the front edge off the table when the case is in typing position.

You don't even notice them, and when you do, they look like they belong there. The ones I have are not "permanent" so they pull off with no damage.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  15. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    While this looks like a nice cover can it really be called "smart" cover? It doesn't seem to attach with magnets nor does it lock/unlock iPad 2... unless I missed something.

What am I missing about the "smart" part? When I read thread title I assume it attached with magnets etc.

Michael
  16. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    No, it doesn't attach via magnets. If you look at the photos carefully you'll see that it's really a thin shell that snaps onto the back of the iPad (like most hardshell cases) and then the cover is attached to that shell and wraps around the iPad. I would ASSUME the designers were smart enough to include magnets in the part of the cover that falls into place across the bezel.

17. Rambler358

Rambler358 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I could only find the old model on Amazon's site, not the new one for pre-order. :confused:
  18. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    The new one for the iPad 2 isn't available yet, even from MacAlly. But soon....

19. Rambler358

Rambler358 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I know, but the OP said Amazon had a preorder link link, but I couldn't find it.
  20. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    You're not the only one. Looked there, too. Didn't see anything of the sort.