What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart cover wear and tear?

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine in the same fashion as you use yours, but I open and close mine numerous times every day. Had it on there since day one and haven't had any of the shavings you're describing.
I would take it back and get a new one.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

That matches my experience with my iPads smart cover. No issues at all, very satisfied with the cover as well as the iPad 2.

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine in the same fashion as you use yours, but I open and close mine numerous times every day. Had it on there since day one and haven't had any of the shavings you're describing.
I would take it back and get a new one.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

That matches my experience with my iPads smart cover. No issues at all, very satisfied with the cover as well as the iPad 2.

No problems with my polyurethane one either after 2 weeks of constant use. I fold mine over in a triangle all the time.

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Black leather smart cover leaves residue for me too

Attachments

• image-3984544819.png
    image-3984544819.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 349

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They did but this cannot be a product of leather. It is where the hinge rubs up against the back of the iPad. The graphite looking residue is the paint from the smart cover hinge. The only time it contacts the I pad is when it is folded in half and held behind the iPad. Notice this is the only position apple never mentioned when advertising the smart cover

rebelwithacause

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody? A guy I work with is having the same wear issues in the same spots. He has the same color cover as me.

I have a tan leather cover and I have it on one hinge (bottom), not as bad as yours but it's there. Putting an invisible shield on the screen as soon as my local zagg booth gets more, that should at least protect the screen.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed alittle of those marks on ipad but no color coming off hinge yet...I have the grey poly one...I just picked up a cream leather and might put electrical tape on the 2 hinges that rub when folded over...should prevent rubbing and looks to be same size.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trky said:
Idk. For the most part I use a table of some kind. I'm not sure what you would consider irregular. I recently bought the zagg screen protector for the ipad 2 and during installation I had to remove it twice and redo it. during the last time it got dirt on it so instead of throwing away 30 dollars I took it off and stuck it on the back. It looks kinda bad but it works. I bought another zagg cover and installed it perfectly the first time. They really should include 2 because you're for sure going to screw it up.

I order cheap ones on eBay and they work very well. I haven't put one on my iPad yet but I have them on my iPhone and iPod touch.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only had mine two days. I'll keep you posted.

64GB 3G White iPad

happyhack3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you guys protect the back of IPAD2 with smart cover? Someone said TLC? in earlier posts...

also, if you get invisible shields, does it still work alright with smart cover?

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They make an adhesive protector for the back just like the screen protector. Companies like zagg make them. TLC is tender loving care. And I'm still waiting for my screen/back protector in the mail but I'm sure it would only affect the smart cover a minute, most likely negligible, amount.

OP
T

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you guys protect the back of IPAD2 with smart cover? Someone said TLC? in earlier posts...

also, if you get invisible shields, does it still work alright with smart cover?

I got dirt on my first zagg screen protector and it became useless on the screen so I had to replace it. I stuck the dirty cover on the back of the ipad. I had to cut out holes for the rear cam, speaker, and headphone jack, but it worked perfectly.

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a back skin from Phantomskinz and it is cut perfectly for the back. Does not affect the use of Smart Cover at all.

If you are patient, they are easy to apply. To do it right, give yourself an hour at least.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Trky said:
I got dirt on my first zagg screen protector and it became useless on the screen so I had to replace it. I stuck the dirty cover on the back of the ipad. I had to cut out holes for the rear cam, speaker, and headphone jack, but it worked perfectly.

Interesting. May have to try that with one extra used screen protector (clear, not anti glare which prefer) I have laying around.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts