What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart cover wear and tear?

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having issues with my smart cover hinge rubbing itself causing a fine metallic dust on my ipad. Has anyone else noticed this? Here are pics of what it's doing.

The little dark line under the hinge is the metal dust.
1000000115.jpg

This is causing my smart covers hinge to look bad.
1000000117.jpg

The dark spot in the middle of the pic is the dust with the cover removed.
1000000119.jpg

Close up of the hinge.
1000000127.jpg

Another close up of the other side of hinge.
1000000125.jpg

Anyone else seeing this issue? Also, I hate my smart cover color, but that's all that was in stock. I want a red one, but if it's having this issue I'll just skip it and put stickers on this one or something.

OP
T

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody? A guy I work with is having the same wear issues in the same spots. He has the same color cover as me.

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed that same thing but with some good rubbin it comes off. Perhaps over time it will leave a more permanent mark but they will all have one so oh well.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No sign of that yet on my ipad2 after 2 weeks of constant use. You might consider a shell cover for the back, or cut a couple of tiny peel-off thin plastic pads to go between the hinge and the contact point of the iPad. The hinge acts to protect the edge of the device so it will no doubt see wear over time. But it's the back of the iPad that needs TLC.

Mskjon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's worse on mine

I'm having the same problem but mine is worse. The dust that wears off the hinge has transferred to the microfiber it two distinct spots. I'm especially worried that since the dust must be metal, that it will scratch my glass when closed.
I don't fold it the way they show on the back of the smart cover package anymore. They show the microfiber out. When I fold mine I put the blue side out now but the marks of the microfiber are permanent. If that dust scratches the glass, they'll have a major issue.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wonder how well the smart covers will do? Guessing everybody is buying one for the novelty. I almost bought a leather one, bit I've heard bad press about leather.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wonder how well the smart covers will do? Guessing everybody is buying one for the novelty. I almost bought a leather one, bit I've heard bad press about leather.
I've had the black leather smart cover on my iPad2 for over 2 weeks. No bad press here, it's very nice in every respect, and feels great in the hand.

Mskjon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They replaced mine today

Since my earlier post, best buy cheerfully replaced mine. So don't get me wrong that I don't love the smart cover. As a new Apple customer it wouldn't be an iPad to me without it. I've had mine since day one, drain it well below 50% daily, take the cover off a couple times also. I also almost always use it in my lap and I suspect that's the other factor. My hinges just rattle a lot. So if I could hazard a guess, it's those using them on their lap or irregular surface who are having the problem. Trky? Fortunately the easy fix is to fold it with the poly out.

OP
T

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Idk. For the most part I use a table of some kind. I'm not sure what you would consider irregular. I recently bought the zagg screen protector for the ipad 2 and during installation I had to remove it twice and redo it. during the last time it got dirt on it so instead of throwing away 30 dollars I took it off and stuck it on the back. It looks kinda bad but it works. I bought another zagg cover and installed it perfectly the first time. They really should include 2 because you're for sure going to screw it up.

kami.hurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trky said:
Idk. For the most part I use a table of some kind. I'm not sure what you would consider irregular. I recently bought the zagg screen protector for the ipad 2 and during installation I had to remove it twice and redo it. during the last time it got dirt on it so instead of throwing away 30 dollars I took it off and stuck it on the back. It looks kinda bad but it works. I bought another zagg cover and installed it perfectly the first time. They really should include 2 because you're for sure going to screw it up.

You know, they will replace them for free.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No issues here. I've only had my iPad 2 now for only a week, but all is well so far. I've got the tan leather Smart Cover, a pink one for my wife, and a grey poly as a spare.

I love the Smart Covers.

Mskjon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Irregular/ excessive use of smart cover hinge

I don't mean to beat hell out of the subject but by irregular use I mean not on a table, it's a broad definition I know. I mean using it on my lap with the cover in a triangle. It moves a lot that way. Also folded in half with the fiber against itself and behind the iPad. Also hanging my iPad from the fridge using the magnetic cover, to follow a recipe. Also in triangular fashion when I read as a kindle, holding the triangle in my left hand.
Basically, if you look at the back of your iPad with the cover in triangle mode, microfiber out, you'll easily see that you can articulate the hinge first against the iPad back which is harder than the hinge. Then move the hinge back against the microfiber edge. I'm no rocket surgeon but it just seems a matter of time before it wears and the dust transfers like it did with mine. I took pics of the marks on the microfiber but can't figure how to add it to a post. I paid to have a zagg installed too and don't like it so far. See if it grows on me.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine in the same fashion as you use yours, but I open and close mine numerous times every day. Had it on there since day one and haven't had any of the shavings you're describing.
I would take it back and get a new one.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

Most reactions