What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover passes unscheduled scratch test

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My cat doesn't like it when I lay in bed reading my iPad 2. She usually reaches for the iPad and I move it out of the way until she goes away.

Last night I had my black leather Smart Case folded in half over the back and didn't notice her reaching to grab the top of the iPad. So I moved it just in time for her to swipe her sharp claws down the exposed leather.

I was not a happy camper! I immediately saw 3 obvious scratches and tried to remember, she's just a helpless animal.

I was mortified. But surprise! I rubbed the scratches lengthwise with my finger, and after a couple of rubs the scratches completely dissapeared! The coating on the leather is very impressive.

Anyone know if the plastic Smart Covers are as scratch resistant?

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leather marks easily. You can scratch lines on leather without actually damaging it, but trust me, having several cats of my own, if a cat decides to dig its claws into your cover, you won't be rubbing them out.

OP
T

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leather marks easily. You can scratch lines on leather without actually damaging it, but trust me, having several cats of my own, if a cat decides to dig its claws into your cover, you won't be rubbing them out.

She did dig her claws into it, but it was just one hard swipe, not a complete scratching frenzy. :)

Still, the cover held up well this time around.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thats the standard method

for removing scratches from leather. Progressively more serious methods are described at saddlebackleather.com. I have many of their products and rave about them. Guaranteed for one hundred years. They offer two iPad cases and an iPhone case as well.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, but I doubt the Apple smart cover leather is anything like the leather on my Saddleback wallet.... ;)

Most reactions