What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Cover Compatible Cases List

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know there are several threads about smart cover compatible cases, but I thought It would be helpful if we had an actual list/matrix. Below I break them up into material and list details and availability. Prices are MSRP, cheaper prices may be available at third party vendors.

Hard Shell (polycarbonate, etc.):

XGear Smart Cover Enhancer
Protection for Your iPad, iPhone, iPod, And MacBook
Colors - Black, Clear
Price - $34.99
Available Now

Joy Factory SmartFit2
SmartFit2 Clear for iPad 2 - iPad / iPhone Protection - Products
Colors - Clear, Smoke
Price - $29.95
Available Now

Marware Microshell
MicroShell iPad 2 case
Colors - Black, White, Pink, Silver Red
Price - $39.99
Available Now *Black version only

Enki Genius
Enki | We've got you covered
Colors - Clear, Smoke, Blue, Pink
Price - $29.99
Pre-order, Available 5/2

Aviiq Smart Case
AViiQ™ › Smart Case ‹ Case Stands ‹ Products
Colors - Black, Gray, Light Blue, Green, Orange, Pink, Red
Price - $49.99
Pre-Order

Coveroo Customer iPad 2 Case
Coveroo - Custom Designs on Your Phone or iPod
Price - Starts at $29.99
Color - Varies
Pre-order

Incipio Smart Feather
iPad 2 Smart feather Ultralight Hard Shell Case
Price - Unknown
Colors - Unknown
Available in May

Speck Smart Shell *Not listed on manufacturer's site*
Apple Mobile: Speck iPad 2 SmartShell Case (5 Colors) - Hard Cases - Cases - iPad 2G - iPad | Gleemobile.com
Colors - Black, Light Blue, Green, Orange, Pink
Price - $29.99 *from third-part vendor
Available Now *claim from third-party vendor

Belkin Snap Shield
http://www.belkin.com/uk/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=544455
Colors - Unknown
Price - Unknown *Has been found at Best Buy (not listed on their site) for $39.99
Availability Unknown

Simplism Smart BACK Cover
http://www.simplism.jp/en/products/ipad/smart_back_cover/index.html
Colors - Clear, Black, White
Price - $25 *iLounge states $25, but price not listed on Simplism's site.
Availability Unknown

Soft Shell (TPU, Silicone, etc.):

Boxwave Smart Sleeve
iPad 2 Smart Sleeve - A low profile iPad 2 case that pairs perfectly with Apple?s Smart Cover and provides durable protection.
Colors - All Smart Cover colors
Price - $29.95
Available Now (black, gray only). Other colors available 4/29.

Maclove Jumper
Jumper - macloveworld
Colors - All Smart Cover colors
Price - $39.00
Available Now

iLuv Smart Back Cover
iLuv

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=27919
Colors - All Smart Cover Colors
Price - TBD, but third party site lists $19.99
Availability TBD

XGear Flexible Shield
http://www.xgearlive.com/products/n...or-apple-ipad-2-pre-order-shipping-april-29th
Colors - Black, Red, Blue, Orange, Frost, Green
Price - $19.99
Available 4/29

Other Shell:

Pielframa iMagnum
Apple iPad 2 cases PIEL FRAMA
Colors - All Smart Cover Colors
Price - $129 USD
Available Now, but 15 day delivery time.

Happy Owl Studio Leather Shell & Shell
iPad 2 line sneak peek... — Happy Owl Studio
Colors - TBD, but probably All Smart Cover colors
Price - TBD
Availablity Unknown

Melko Leather Snap Cover
http://www.melkco.com/scripts/main/viewitem-APIPA2LOLT1BKLC-IPA2.html
Colors - Black, Red, Blue Carbon Fiber
Price - $59
Pre-Order

SGP Griff for iPad 2
http://www.sgpstore.com/tablets/apple/ipad-2/sgp-ipad-2-leather-case-griff-series.html
Colors - White, Black, Lime, Dante Red, Solaris Orange, Sherbet Pink, Tender Blue, Vintage Brown.
Price - $49.99
Available Now *Red, Blue, and Brown only. No details on the other colors.

I'm sure there are others I'm either missing or will be announced soon. If you find something, please post it here and I can update the list. Also, I did not list the eBay TPU and shells since they have been mentioned here before, and I don't want to promote any one seller.

Last edited:

gobluejd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New here. Just wanted to say I have been in contact with Case-Mate for the Barely There and Incipio for the Feather (compatible with Smart cover).

A few things.

The Incipio version you will have to use the Cover ALL THE TIME, I.E. the feather will not be able to be on without the cover.

However the Case-Mate Barely There, they have told me that you can in fact remove the cover as it will simply have the cut outs for it.

I find this important because if I am just sitting on couch watching TV I find myself removing the cover (long periods) and when I leave the house (or wander the house) I put the cover back on.

Hope this helps and you can add to you summary up above.

goblue (and GO WINGS).

OP
J

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New here. Just wanted to say I have been in contact with Case-Mate for the Barely There and Incipio for the Feather (compatible with Smart cover).

A few things.

The Incipio version you will have to use the Cover ALL THE TIME, I.E. the feather will not be able to be on without the cover.

However the Case-Mate Barely There, they have told me that you can in fact remove the cover as it will simply have the cut outs for it.

I find this important because if I am just sitting on couch watching TV I find myself removing the cover (long periods) and when I leave the house (or wander the house) I put the cover back on.

Hope this helps and you can add to you summary up above.

goblue (and GO WINGS).

Yup, so far the feather will be the only case on this list that will cover the smart cover hinges. I did not mention this because I wanted to keep this just an objective list. We can definitely discuss the pros and cons of each in the comments, but I did not want to impose my opinions of each case in the list itself.

As for the Case Mate Barely There, there is currently an iPad 2 version, but does not appear to have cut-outs for the smart cover. Are you saying Case Mate is working on a Smart Cover compatible one?

Thanks,

JD

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I am debating between the joy factory and Enki. Both look identical besides the brand so im not sure which to get haha

cvadh387

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread! It was really informative :) I just wish they also sold this in stores and not just online :/

OP
J

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I am debating between the joy factory and Enki. Both look identical besides the brand so im not sure which to get haha

I had a Joy Factory on pre-order but cancelled it at the last minute when I noticed that the top and bottom of the case is exposed. I have an Enki on pre-order, but there still isn't enough pictures of it to determine it's coverage. However,from the pictures they have available the bottom looks mostly covered, and the top is yet to be determined.

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had a Joy Factory on pre-order but cancelled it at the last minute when I noticed that the top and bottom of the case is exposed. I have an Enki on pre-order, but there still isn't enough pictures of it to determine it's coverage. However,from the pictures they have available the bottom looks mostly covered, and the top is yet to be determined.

I didnt even notice that!! Thanks for pointing that out, looks like i will have to go with the Enki or targus has one but it is not compatible with the smart cover, which is a huge turnoff to me.

OP
J

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I didnt even notice that!! Thanks for pointing that out, looks like i will have to go with the Enki or targus has one but it is not compatible with the smart cover, which is a huge turnoff to me.

Another option if you are looking for a shell case is the XGear Enhancer (link in the main post) It's got most of the coverage except a small section at the bottom between the speaker and the dock port. It comes in black and clear and is just a tad more than both the Joy Factory and Enki.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Joy - Kind of

I just received my joy factory cover and its really nice, but I have to wonder, and maybe someone here has the true answer, why did they leave the top and bottom uncovered? I have noticed this in several back covers for the ipads. Was it just because of timing and the cut outs? Or was there a more specific reason?

gobluejd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for the Case Mate Barely There, there is currently an iPad 2 version, but does not appear to have cut-outs for the smart cover. Are you saying Case Mate is working on a Smart Cover compatible one?

Thanks,

JD

Here are my exchanges with them via twitter:

@delenn88 We will have a Barely There that works with the #Smartcover in a few weeks!

@CaseMate Loving my Barely There for my HTC Thunderbolt? When will ur Ipad2 w/Smart Cover compatible Barely There be available?

@gobluejd Yes we're expecting it in early May! We'll announce it here and on Facebook!

@CaseMate will u be able to take smart cover off?

@gobluejd Yes, it will just have an open space where you can attach/detach the cover.

OP
J

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received my joy factory cover and its really nice, but I have to wonder, and maybe someone here has the true answer, why did they leave the top and bottom uncovered? I have noticed this in several back covers for the ipads. Was it just because of timing and the cut outs? Or was there a more specific reason?

I have also noticed this... I'm no expert, but my guess as to why the bottom is exposed on most shells is due to how close the speaker is the the 30-pin port. As for the top, my guess for that would be that it has something to do with the 3G antenna. I don't know if these cases would affect 3G signals at all, but it appears they have opted to leave this uncovered and instead of making a different version for 3G and WiFi, they just have it cut out for both.

Here are my exchanges with them via twitter:

@delenn88 We will have a Barely There that works with the #Smartcover in a few weeks!

@CaseMate Loving my Barely There for my HTC Thunderbolt? When will ur Ipad2 w/Smart Cover compatible Barely There be available?

@gobluejd Yes we're expecting it in early May! We'll announce it here and on Facebook!

@CaseMate will u be able to take smart cover off?

@gobluejd Yes, it will just have an open space where you can attach/detach the cover.

Thanks for the update. I hope we get some updates and pictures soon. When they post it to their site, I'll add it to the list.

OP
J

jd78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've added the Melko Leather Snap Cover and a site to the manufacturer. It's available at a site called Carrymobile (link below) for $59 and is available in Black, Red, and a Carbon Fiber Blue. There are no pics for the Red and Blue, but you can get an idea of the color by checking out their other cases with the same color. I have been communicating back and forth with Melko (about the possibility of the Navy blue cover :D) and they have been very responsive and helpful.

It's a little pricey, but if it's real leather it might be a good cheaper alternative to the Piel Frama iMagnum.

Melkco Leather Snap Cover for Apple iPad 2 dedicated to fit for Original Smart Cover - (Black LC) Melkco Leather Case for iPad2, Playbook, iPhone Jacka Type - Carrymobile.com

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It could also be that getting certain cut outs aligned is hard, i have heard that some cut outs have affected sound quality and charging so joy factory may have taken the easy rounte and provided as much protection as they can while not interfering with other aspects of the ipad.

Last edited:

Ergibson83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received my joyfactory case today and I think it's a perfect option for added protection with the smart cover. It doesn't add too much bulk to the iPad and it is a little cheaper than the other smart cases coming out.

Most reactions

Latest posts