What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Case Problem

clocknut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys I would like some help :) I decided to fit a smart case to my ipad 5 I set up the necessary functions and the case lid/cover made the ipad sleep and wake so I thought all was ok, but after several sleep/wakes it stopped working!
I then did a reset and once again it was working ok so I left it for a while an hour or so, then opened the cover and the ipad woke as it should but would not go back to sleep!! I reset again and the same thing happened, I even left it overnight in sleep and once again once it is woken that's it no sleep function:(
I have done a factory reset, reloaded 9.2.1 twice more and the fault is still the sameo_O

Anybody with a solution?
Thanks,
John.

OP
C

clocknut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for reply scifan57, no it's not an official case I think I know where you are going with the question? If the case functions for a period of time it should IMHO work all the time!
I cant see the Ipad 5 recognising what cover it has!! but??
Thanks,
John.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order to eliminate the case as the source of the problem, see if you can borrow another Smart Case and see if the problem persists. If it does, then there's a good chance that your iPad has a problem affecting use of the sleep/wake function by the Smart Case.

OP
C

clocknut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again thank you for the reply! I have family members with ipads but mine is the only ipad 5.
being a retired guy who has always been in electronics/PC systems my logic says to me if when it is working I can open and close the lid as many times as like and it works every time! so the hardware is ok? however if left for a period of time as I said it functions only once until reset and off we go again! sounds more like software?
I am assuming the ipad 5 is the same as the other versions a device(polarity reed switch) operated by a magnet? or am I missing something?
I have had a couple of sessions with Apple but the fault is not one the PC they sit in front recognises :rolleyes:.
Thanks,
John.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The sleep/wake switch operated by the Smart Cover is magnetic. There are several magnets under the screen bezel on the side opposite to where the Smart Case hinge is. The problem could be software or hardware related. I'm inclined to favour the possibility of a hardware problem as as restore didn't fix the problem and a software problem would have lots more people complaining about the problem.
I'd recommend a Genius Bar appointment at the closest Apple Store. Take the iPad in when the Smart Case isn't working and demonstrate your fix. They can also run a full diagnostic to see if they can trace the cause of the problem. You could, if possible also take your computer with you and demonstrate your steps to temporarily fix the problem.

OP
C

clocknut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again scifan57 all understood I wondered if there were two sensors? as the cover has offset from the centre either side two magnets (each side) one North and one South that's the only thing that makes sense to me hardware wise that there is an "and" function with the two sensors? is there any info anywhere as to what is required?
Regards.
John.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The cover could be the problem if the magnet in the cover is poorly possitioned, so that the iPad does not reliably sense it. Eliminating it as a possible problem is a good first check, if possible.

However, your description does sound more like a software issue. If reseting the iPad isn't solving it my next suggestion is Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This does not delete anything, but you do have to retweak a lot of your settings afterwards.

The step after that is to restore the iPad, first with a backup, and if that does not work then a clean restore without the backup.

Of course it is also possible the sensor in the iPad is flakey. An appointment at an Apple Store might be able to test for that. I don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

OP
C

clocknut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cover could be the problem if the magnet in the cover is poorly possitioned, so that the iPad does not reliably sense it. Eliminating it as a possible problem is a good first check, if possible.

However, your description does sound more like a software issue. If reseting the iPad isn't solving it my next suggestion is Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This does not delete anything, but you do have to retweak a lot of your settings afterwards.

The step after that is to restore the iPad, first with a backup, and if that does not work then a clean restore without the backup.

Of course it is also possible the sensor in the iPad is flakey. An appointment at an Apple Store might be able to test for that. I don't know, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Thanks twerppoet I have done a complete reload of ios 9.2.1 twice and it ends up the same :-( so it's an elimination process! there are two magnet used in the sleep wake function so two sensors! so is one only being detected?? I need to find an original case to eliminate that! if all is well it's the case, if not it could be one sensor is u/s? or ??????
Regards,
John.

OP
C

clocknut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it will be cheaper to buy an OEM case than go to my nearest store and park :rolleyes:
I left the ipad 14 hours opened the cover it woke as it should do then back to square one:mad: annoying!!

Most reactions

Latest posts