What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slowing of i-pad2

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
If your iPad is working fine otherwise it really sounds like a network issue. Even though your PC may be doing well, (Ethernet or wireless?) it's quite possible the iPad's network connection has become flaky somehow...may be the iPad but more often than not it's a network issue; even if you've done nothing to change it recently. Sometimes a full reboot of everything involved, router/modem, iPad, etc. can cure it or it may take something else.

You can check your iPad's network speed by downloading the free iPhone/iPad app from http:Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Generally for a number of reasons an iPad won't deliver the same results as a regular computer, but it shouldn't be that far off (and of course it can depend on where in the house you're using your iPad with respect to the WiFi source).

If you do find the speeds to be below what you'd expect have a look here:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

If you do visit the Apple store, have them test your iPad on their network and see what they say. Bottom line, if it worked well at one point, there's no reason it shouldn't work well now and they should be able to sort it out if you can't.

Otherwise, best of luck and let us know how things go!

I just downloaded the speed test, can you tell me what would be normal speed expected for ipad2 ?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
If your iPad is working fine otherwise it really sounds like a network issue. Even though your PC may be doing well, (Ethernet or wireless?) it's quite possible the iPad's network connection has become flaky somehow...may be the iPad but more often than not it's a network issue; even if you've done nothing to change it recently. Sometimes a full reboot of everything involved, router/modem, iPad, etc. can cure it or it may take something else.

You can check your iPad's network speed by downloading the free iPhone/iPad app from http:Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Generally for a number of reasons an iPad won't deliver the same results as a regular computer, but it shouldn't be that far off (and of course it can depend on where in the house you're using your iPad with respect to the WiFi source).

If you do find the speeds to be below what you'd expect have a look here:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

If you do visit the Apple store, have them test your iPad on their network and see what they say. Bottom line, if it worked well at one point, there's no reason it shouldn't work well now and they should be able to sort it out if you can't.

Otherwise, best of luck and let us know how things go!

I just downloaded the speed test, can you tell me what would be normal speed expected for ipad2 ?
It would all depend on what download and upload speeds your broadband provider is claiming for your account. For instance if your provider claims that you have 10Mbps download speeds your iPad should approach that (but will probably be somewhere less than that).

On your computer you can visit the online version of SpeedTest and see what speeds your computer is obtaining:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Then you can compare those speeds to what your iPad is obtaining. If there's a large discrepancy, there's a problem of some nature. You can post the speeds for both your computer and your iPad and we can see how they compare in any case.

That said, you'll still need to know what speeds (downloads and uploads) you're supposed to be getting from your provider to get a better handle on your current situation. You can call them and ask.

Last edited:

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
It would all depend on what download and upload speeds your broadband provider is claiming for your account. For instance if your provider claims that you have 10Mbps download speeds your iPad should approach that (but will probably be somewhere less than that).

On your computer you can visit the online version of SpeedTest and see what speeds your computer is obtaining:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Then you can compare those speeds to what your iPad is obtaining. If there's a large discrepancy, there's a problem of some nature. You can post the speeds for both your computer and your iPad and we can see how they compare in any case.

That said, you'll still need to know what speeds (downloads and uploads) you're supposed to be getting from your provider to get a better handle on your current situation. You can call them and ask.

Thanks for explaining, I will check it out.

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey just thought I'd chime in with an example of my personal speediest results, at this moment. My results actually fluctuate quite a bit depending on the time of day and the day of the week. It is always slower on weekends and after school hours. Late night hours and morning to around 3pm is usually the fastest during the week. I also notice that I get somewhat slower results with different weather systems in the area. My average download speed is around 7Mb/s I have seen sometimes close to 11 but that is rare for me. Ihave. Roadrunner and I typically reset my router once every one or two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Attachments

• image-1998639378.png
    image-1998639378.png
    229 KB · Views: 340

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
suz26 said:

Checked and getting 11.38 Mbps they state 14 so maybe not bad, it feels quick enough 

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suz26 said:
Checked and getting 11.38 Mbps they state 14 so maybe not bad, it feels quick enough 

I don't know if this is any help but if it is slow loading webpages and everything else is fine, don't forget to clear the history, cookies and cache periodically. Do mine daily, which maybe too much but it's a habit I got I to on my PC. Just go to Settings>Safari and the options are right there. I've been spending hours and hours on mine and not noticed any slowing down, in my own head I'm convinced this is why.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
suz26 said:

Yes, I'd say that's fine. Speeds will always vary depending on how close you are to the router, interference from other electronics (wireless phones,cell phones, even microwaves can cause problems).

As Milliebert suggests, clearing out your web browser's "cruft" can help. Also, as 787 mentioned, closing unused apps can speed up the overall performance as well.

FWIW I also believe that since the v4.3.5 update things have slowed on mine as well. Not sure if that's fact as I have no empirical proof, plus I have a lot of music, movies and photos on mine, but it seems a little more sluggish these days as well. FWIW I try to keep my apps to around 150 or so based on some info I found elsewhere, but again, there's no proof it really makes any difference.

So see how it goes and if you notice things getting ugly after you use a particular app, try temporarily removing it to see if it's causing problems.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
FWIW I also believe that since the v4.3.5 update things have slowed on mine as well. Not sure if that's fact as I have no empirical proof, plus I have a lot of music, movies and photos on mine, but it seems a little more sluggish these days as well. FWIW I try to keep my apps to around 150 or so based on some info I found elsewhere, but again, there's no proof it really makes any difference.

Mine is only about ten days out of the box, I ran the update to 4.3.5 almost immediately and I have no speed issues. Its ten times faster than my PC so I'm happy. I am yet to out movies on though, and not much music at the moment.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:

Mine is only about ten days out of the box, I ran the update to 4.3.5 almost immediately and I have no speed issues. Its ten times faster than my PC so I'm happy. I am yet to out movies on though, and not much music at the moment.
My WAG is based on having used my iPad for over a year now. It's not slow mind you (although nowhere near as fast as my 11" MacBook Air ;) ) but I think it was faster before the last update. Scrolling, opening folders, etc. has a tiny stutter to it where that didn't exist before and opening some apps, say Settings for example, renders a blank screen a little longer, whereas it used to load almost instantaneously. Again, apps and other things can affect speeds of course.

Since the iPad2 has a faster processor these sorts of things aren't as noticeable.

In any case, mine is still built out of totally recycled awesome! Enjoy your iPad!

Most reactions

Latest posts