What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slow recharge

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My mini iPad A1489, whilst I know it is now classed as an old model, takes forever to charge. I'm sure it never took that long before. Is there any reason for this?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Judy - you need to tell us more - you have an iPad Mini 2 (see pic below from Wiki) which is nearly 5 years old - my first question is whether you've tried a different charger and cable? If so and still a problem, then the status of your battery may be an issue - do you backup your iPad to a computer, i.e. Mac or PC using iTunes? If you have a Mac, then Coconut Battery which I use, can asses the 'health' of your battery - if your battery is dying, then a replacement on such an 'old' iPad is probably not worth the cost - you might consider upgrading to a newer model - my wife is now on the Mini 4 available from Apple - however, this 'most recent' model has not been upgraded in nearly 3 years - concerning to me for discontinuation, but simply a guess. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 8.27.42 PM.png

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Second attempt - lost the first post - wish you could "save" as you work, because I was looking at another site (unrelated) and lost my partial reply.

I had given you my mini iPad Model (A1489) and aware that it is now discontinued after only not quite 5 years. Do you want the model No - I will send it anyway. ME279X/A I am currently timing the battery charging - so far from 75% to 82% in half an hour. I will get a better reading when its fully charged - and will let you know later.

I had changed the cord and power outlet last night before I received your email.

Be back later when this wretched thing reaches 100%

(I am just curious) - which model iPad has a cover and keyboard that I've seen a lot of people use?) I am keeping my options open, as I really can't afford a new iPad. They say (the Apple site) that you can get the battery done at Apple, but at a cost.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Second attempt - lost the first post - wish you could "save" as you work, because I was looking at another site (unrelated) and lost my partial reply.

I had given you my mini iPad Model (A1489) and aware that it is now discontinued after only not quite 5 years. Do you want the model No - I will send it anyway. ME279X/A I am currently timing the battery charging - so far from 75% to 82% in half an hour. I will get a better reading when its fully charged - and will let you know later.

I had changed the cord and power outlet last night before I received your email.

Be back later when this wretched thing reaches 100%

(I am just curious) - which model iPad has a cover and keyboard that I've seen a lot of people use?) I am keeping my options open, as I really can't afford a new iPad. They say (the Apple site) that you can get the battery done at Apple, but at a cost.

At 2.40pm it finally arrived at 100% Was 75% at 1.04pm when I started, and midway through 82% at 1.30pm

I am on the battery site, and it should show my usage - but doesnt.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At 2.40pm it finally arrived at 100% Was 75% at 1.04pm when I started, and midway through 82% at 1.30pm

Is your iPad still plugged into the charger? It can take a while after unplugging the charger for battery usage statistics to start appearing.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again Judy - to address some of your issues in the two quotes above. First, looking up the new identifier above on EveryMac provides the information shown below, i.e. what is already know - notice that the Mini 2 was d/c in 2017 - not sure when you bought your device but if more recently, the battery may be in better condition (vs. nearly a 5 y/o one)?

Second, not sure about 'a cover and keyboard' - many iPad models over the years have worked w/ BT keyboards whether attached to a cover or not. But if your budget is tight for a 'new' iPad, there are plenty of 'used' ones from various sources - also look at the Apple Refurb Site - there is a current Mini 4 for $339 (follow the link).

Third, not sure what your mean by 'I am on the battery site', i.e. are you looking at an app on your iPad Mini that provides battery stats or are you on a website, such as Coconut Battery? The most important battery stats are the 'cycles used' and the 'battery health' - there is no iOS app that will provide this information; however, if you have a Mac, then a download of Coconut Battery can assess your plugged in iPad for those current values. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.59.10 AM.png

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again Judy - to address some of your issues in the two quotes above. First, looking up the new identifier above on EveryMac provides the information shown below, i.e. what is already know - notice that the Mini 2 was d/c in 2017 - not sure when you bought your device but if more recently, the battery may be in better condition (vs. nearly a 5 y/o one)?[quote/] I am guessing, but I would say about 3-4 years old, Dave.
Is your iPad still plugged into the charger? It can take a while after unplugging the charger for battery usage statistics start appearing.
Scifan, No, it wasn't plugged into the charger when I got your email, but when I checked later, it just had how many minutes since I last charged it. This morning, it says Usage 3 hrs 2 mins and Standby 17hrs 5 min (not plugged in).
Second, not sure about 'a cover and keyboard' - many iPad models over the years have worked w/ BT keyboards whether attached to a cover or not. But if your budget is tight for a 'new' iPad, there are plenty of 'used' ones from various sources - also look at the Apple Refurb Site - there is a current Mini 4 for $339 (follow the link).
Thanks Dave, will check that out.
Third, not sure what your mean by 'I am on the battery site', i.e. are you looking at an app on your iPad Mini that provides battery stats or are you on a website, such as Coconut Battery? The most important battery stats are the 'cycles used' and the 'battery health' - there is no iOS app that will provide this information; however, if you have a Mac, then a download of Coconut Battery can assess your plugged in iPad for those current values. Dave :)
By battery site, I meant that I went into settings-general-battery. I dont have a Mac, - just iPad, iPhone and windows with desktop.
(sorry about the quotes which did not work - I entered them manually as I could not see how else to do it :}

Most reactions

Latest posts