What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SlingPlayer Mobile on the New iPad is amazing...

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it just me... or have others noticed that SlingPlayer Mobile on the New iPad is a leap ahead of Sling reception on the iPad 2... I work away from home a lot and often of an evening in my hotel I watch my home DVR and live TV over 3G vie SlingPlayer Mobile on my iPad. On my iPad 2 this was a bit grainy and jerky, and I could only watch std def cos HD would often go buffering in blank screen mode. I had always put this down to the 3G connection being a bit flacky. How wrong I was... on the New iPad the picture is amazing. Its the same broadband connection at my home end, and same 3G service my end in the same hotel location. The only thing that's changed is I'm now using my New iPad instead of my iPad 2. I'm now watching beautiful crisp HD pictures with no buffering. How cool is that?

bubbaba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same great results. The picture looks amazing, even on non high def channels and with the LTE it streams like a dream with no stutter. It works so well I can watch the news on my home while driving. This is not good!!!!!

bscottd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I'm using as well. For me I never had any iPad until now. I always used Sllingbox app on my iPhone (yes I paid $30 twice... that's a whole other topic) and looked fine. When I got the new iPad I had to get the app. To me without prior firsthand knowledge of how the Sling app looked on the iPad2, I actually could tell that the resolution was not up to par with the new high res "retina" display, compared to other apps that are made for the new iPad... even the icon was not sharp. I read somewhere on Slingbox's website that the phone app was made for 320x240 resolution whereas the ipad app was made for 640x480 resolution. Being that the new resolution of the new iPad is a lot higher (2048x1536) vs the iPad2's resolution (1024x768) I would expect to hear the opposite from people like yourselves saying the Sling app looks worse. But you are saying it looks better? I think Slingbox needs a resolution upgrade... especially for a $30 ($60) app purchase. Also would we even get better results if we had the Pro HD Slingbox instead of the Solo? All questions I am trying to find answers to.

OP
J

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Humax PVR9200 for TV and recordings dedicated just to my Slingbox Solo HD... the Humax is SD so its connected to my Solo via component cables.

Most reactions

Latest posts