What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sling box pro hd

mjw101081

iPF Noob
Reaction score
at work

if work restricts downloads you may not be able to watch it.
the site defaults to a download for the player app. i have a slingbox and just got a new comp and as we speak i am setting up my slingplayer on a Mac. Firefox is recommended for Sling Player, which is for your PC/Mac, on a MacBook or Mac desktop. Internet explorer as I remember required the player too (PC). its the sling player plugin

Last edited:
OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if work restricts downloads you may not be able to watch it.
the site defaults to a download for the player app. i have a slingbox and just got a new comp and as we speak i am setting up my slingplayer on a Mac. Firefox is recommended for Sling Player, which is for your PC/Mac, on a MacBook or Mac desktop. Internet explorer as I remember required the player too (PC). its the sling player plugin

Yea thanks for that, I'd prolly be screwed and pissed at the same time! Lol well back to the drawing boards. We have off air antennas running to some of the flat screen tvs to get like 20 channels hd etc. But some of the tvs are hard and obvious to run the cable.....just have to keep streaming on Justin tv to the flat screens via rga cable, just wanted to go for GOLD.....guess it's just a high for me lol

Last edited:

mjw101081

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cant take your Ipad to work? or do you want to watch on the same screen you are working on? you could buy a cable and use your own hardware. Maybe even your phone? might check into that. curious whether there is a cable hook up and whether that video can be outputted from phone or ipad.

Last edited:
OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cant take your Ipad to work? or do you want to watch on the same screen you are working on? you could buy a cable and use your own hardware. Maybe even your phone? might check into that. curious whether there is a cable hook up and whether that video can be outputted from phone or ipad.

Well I have a rooted droid x with the mini hdmi to reg hdmi with the "real hdmi" app to view anything on my phone to the tv....but don't always have the best signal in our control rooms......we have like 4 37 inch flat screens in one room and with all of us sports freaks I'm sure they don't wanna watch on a little iPad haha.... Could take it work and use my tethered android signal for the iPad but service isn't always the best. It just looks more sleek when cables aren't hanging everywhere and people dont actually see whats hooked up....could spell trouble if ya feel me

Last edited:
OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mjw101081 said:
antenna booster for cell and hdmi cable....hide it behind the tv

U mean like cell phone repeaters? I looked at them the other night at work and there like $329 im pretty hardcore into this stuff but not that much I don't think lol plus that has to have like a 30 foot coax coming from the antenna and connected to the base

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really not all that hard

Let me clear up a couple of things.
You purchase the Slinbox. This is a box about the size of a brick. Only two models will work with the iPad. You connect the box to your cable or satellite system. An IR Blaster comes with the box. You connect the blaster to your cable or satelite box. this allows you to remotely control what you want to watch.
You download the iPad app if you want to watch on the iPad. If you want to watch on a computer, you use IE and go to the Slingbox web site and log on to the Slingbox that you want to watch. You must have the correct logon information. Only one person can be logged on at a time. Make sure that you understand this "one viewer at a time" concept. On the Slingbox HD Pro you can choose to tune to the regular feed or if using the IR Blaster on your HD box you can obviously watch HD. If you feed off your cable box then you will have to watch the same channel that regular viewers at your home are watching or you will "knock" them off their channel. If you choose to feed off the regular cable then you can watch one channel while your home viewers can watch another. The HD Pro version gives you full PVR capabilities.

I don't understand where the "repeater" ideas are coming from.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! As I have posted before. Image quality depends basically on your upload speed. My iPad Slingplayer app image is comparable to the IMax movie quality on my iPad. I struggled for the longest with an old modem (plus or minus 700). I finally got a new modem, and without changing my Comcast plan, I went to 4.5. My children are amazed when they log in to my Slingbox from their home. Needless to say, here on my wifi, the picture is great.

Well I have a 3Mbps upload rate at home and while the picture is ok (not really worth the extra $30 over the iPhone app.) The sound is horrible! Tinny and shallow.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me clear up a couple of things.
You purchase the Slinbox. This is a box about the size of a brick. Only two models will work with the iPad. You connect the box to your cable or satellite system. An IR Blaster comes with the box. You connect the blaster to your cable or satelite box. this allows you to remotely control what you want to watch.
You download the iPad app if you want to watch on the iPad. If you want to watch on a computer, you use IE and go to the Slingbox web site and log on to the Slingbox that you want to watch. You must have the correct logon information. Only one person can be logged on at a time. Make sure that you understand this "one viewer at a time" concept. On the Slingbox HD Pro you can choose to tune to the regular feed or if using the IR Blaster on your HD box you can obviously watch HD. If you feed off your cable box then you will have to watch the same channel that regular viewers at your home are watching or you will "knock" them off their channel. If you choose to feed off
the regular cable then you can watch one channel while your home viewers can watch another. The HD Pro version gives you full PVR capabilities.

I don't understand where the "repeater" ideas are coming from.

Have u read the whole thread? I understand totally whole the whole sling box works.....was thinking about buying for home but being able to watch at work. Said we have internet explorer at work and was told had to have firefox then was told by someone else IE works. Was asking about downloads because my work will not allow us to download software, plugins etc so we were tryngt figure out another way to get it to work in my work control room via droid x that might not have the best signal in there so that's where all the repeaters and stuff came from

Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
Have u read the whole thread? I understand totally whole the whole sling box works.....was thinking about buying for home but being able to watch at work. Said we have internet explorer at work and was told had to have firefox then was told by someone else IE works. Was asking about downloads because my work will not allow us to download software, plugins etc so we were tryngt figure out another way to get it to work in my work control room via droid x that might not have the best signal in there so that's where all the repeaters and stuff came from

Can you use thumb drives in the pc at work?

If yes, you might want to get Firefox Portable. You just download it once and then run FF directly from the thumb drive, wherever you are.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:

Can you use thumb drives in the pc at work?

If yes, you might want to get Firefox Portable. You just download it once and then run FF directly from the thumb drive, wherever you are.

Is that like a flash drive? Sorry.....I can use flash drives but never put anything like firefox on it, just pics and videos etc

Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
Is that like a flash drive? Sorry.....I can use flash drives but never put anything like firefox on it, just pics and videos etc

It is just another word for flash drive.

Portableapps.com would be the best source to get FF from. Just dl, run the extractor and you can use FF without installing on any windows pc.
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been using a Slingbox for a couple of years. It's really good. Your home computer doesn't need to be on when you watch the Slingbox away from home. The only software you put on your home computer is the free SlingPlayer - which you need to do at the start to setup up your Slingbox, and then you only need it on the computer after that if you actually want to watch the Slingbox on that computer or change any setup config (unlikely). Some work places block streaming video so that might stop you watching it at work on your work computer.

I have a Linksys WRT54G too, and its dead easy to set up (as the contributer above says the Slingbox instructions take you thru the port fwding setup step by step). You do need reasonable UPLOAD speed with your ISP - typical guidelines are that about 600kbs is about enough for standard def TV. Therefore you dont need massive download on teh computer running you internet connected SlingPlayers cos the signal will only be as good as the slower of your Slingbox end upload and SlingPlayer end download.

Apart from the free SlingPlayers on my work computer and home computers, I also have three paid for SlingPlayer Mobile apps - one on my work cell phone (Windows phone) and it works great over 3G. The other two I run on my iPad, one is the iPhone version of SlingPlayer mobile which also works great over 3G. Yesterday, I replaced my Slingbox Classic hardware with the Slingbox Solo HD hardware and bought the iPad version of Slingbox Mobile - this gives me a fantastic picture and sound when watching my Slingbox over wifi - but I cant yet get it to work over 3G.

I have my Slingbox hardware connected to a Humax PVR 9200T which only I use, so I've got full on timeshifting as well as placeshifting, and means when I'm in a hotel and they only have crap channel selection, I've got all my favourite home channels and recordings right there with me in my computer bag.

At work I now mainly watch the Slingbox on my iPad anyway so office network blocking streamed video doesn't cause me a problem.

That brings me back nicely to my problem - how to get the iPad SlingPlayer Mobile version to work over 3G? I get a "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your Slingbox" message. I dont understand why it doesn't work. As I said above, I have the iPhone SlingPlayer app working fine on the same iPad over 3G, so why wont the iPad SlingPlayer work over 3G (it works OK over wifi). FYI my 3G is Vodafone - not that I think that's relevent cos as I said the iPhone SlingPlayer app installed on the same iPad works fine over the Vodafone 3G. Doh! Any contributions from the fine readership of this forum will greatly received to help me get my iPad version of SlingPlayer working over 3G! Thanks.

Philip.

Most reactions