What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sling box pro hd

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about one of these and wondering how many of u guys(& women) use this for iPad? If so hownhard it it to hook up and it there any port forwarding involved in your router ornis install pretty easy? Just wondering because my wireless router has been fine for the last 2 years(after paying linksys $40 bucks to help me setup wireless) and I don't wanna mess anything up!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had one...not worth it...they charge for every device you want to use it on and are very bad about updates. Quality is also pretty bad on iOS.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had one...not worth it...they charge for every device you want to use it on and are very bad about updates. Quality is also pretty bad on iOS.

Well dang, yea u know on all there videos they make it look soo great! Lol so how does it do on a high speed computer?

Last edited:

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6yuS9LNFc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGbfMtwrW-Y&feature=related[/ame]

Rek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got one for Xmas set up was very easy the sling box setup even walks you through any changes needed for your specific router. We have actually been able to watch football and basketball games while traveling utilizing 3G. One great feature is the ability to control by DVR through the sling box app, anything I can do while at home with my home remote I can do remotely using sling box, this includes setting a program to record or playing back a recorded program. The iPad app is a little pricey $29.99 but viewing from any PC is free. Yes sometimes it will freeze or the resolution will degrade periodically but this is typically when using 3G, when connected to wi fi even at a public site such as a Starbucks it is almost flawless.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got one for Xmas set up was very easy the sling box setup even walks you through any changes needed for your specific router. We have actually been able to watch football and basketball games while traveling utilizing 3G. One great feature is the ability to control by DVR through the sling box app, anything I can do while at home with my home remote I can do remotely using sling box, this includes setting a program to record or playing back a recorded program. The iPad app is a little pricey $29.99 but viewing from any PC is free. Yes sometimes it will freeze or the resolution will degrade periodically but this is typically when using 3G, when connected to wi fi even at a public site such as a Starbucks it is almost flawless.

since you have to put the program on your computer, does the stream speed come from your computer or my actual verizon modem which is pretty fast, bad thing is my laptop sucks and is slow...and i have a linksys wrt54g router, and im not sure if im gonna have to port manually or if it will do it for me. Just trying to figure all this out before i spend the money

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the solo use it on the iPad for when I'm hanging out on my deck, works great picture is good if I had the extra 100.00 I would have bought the hd version. The solo works fine over my verizon wifi. There is a 2 second lag when I have my iPad in the same room of my tv but it's no big deal. I enjoy the sling box. The app was a bit pricey at 30$. I also like being able to control my dirctv with my iPad.

Rek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
since you have to put the program on your computer, does the stream speed come from your computer or my actual verizon modem which is pretty fast, bad thing is my laptop sucks and is slow...and i have a linksys wrt54g router, and im not sure if im gonna have to port manually or if it will do it for me. Just trying to figure all this out before i spend the money

The program for your computer is a player only all the encoding to stream the video happens on the sling box, as long as you have a reasonably good speed through your cable or dsl modem you should be fine. Worst case pick up a sling box hd at your local bestbuy or other retailer and give. It a test drive worst case you can return it with in 30 days, if you just watch the. Sling box on your laptop it won't cost anything once. You are satisfied with the results spring for the ipad app and then you will really enjoy your sling box.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:

The program for your computer is a player only all the encoding to stream the video happens on the sling box, as long as you have a reasonably good speed through your cable or dsl modem you should be fine. Worst case pick up a sling box hd at your local bestbuy or other retailer and give. It a test drive worst case you can return it with in 30 days, if you
just watch the. Sling box on your laptop it won't cost anything once. You are satisfied with the results spring for the ipad app and then you will really enjoy your sling box.

Thanks a lot! That's the answer I've been waiting for all day.....I have 6 tvs in my home
along with 6 Directv boxes so I don't really need to view it at home just at work......so it will be hooked up at home, u say what goes on the computer is just a player, it that something that has to be installed because my job blocks any software from being downloaded so if I can't watch it at work it's really no point in me getting it. I thought u just go to sling player site and just log in and watch?

I understand the whole app part and I'll get that if this part works... Just wanna be able to watch on work computer without having to install software

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They have a slingbox app, but its outdated and you can't use the new features...also you can't update it with the app. The only way you can use it properly is with firefox which really annoys me, since I don't use firefox.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
They have a slingbox app, but its outdated and you can't use the new features...also you can't update it with the app. The only way you can use it properly is with firefox which really annoys me, since I don't use firefox.

So your saying if im watching on a pc away from home that pc has to have firefox?? And again I can't seem to get the answer on.......if I watch from the pc away from home does it have to have software downloaded on it or do u just go to slingbox website and log in to watch?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:

So your saying if im watching on a pc away from home that pc has to have firefox?? And again I can't seem to get the answer on.......if I watch from the pc away from home does it have to have software downloaded on it or do u just go to slingbox website and log in to watch?

Again, the home pc has no software...its in the slingbox...the remote pc that you are watching on has to have firefox to work properly.

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! As I have posted before. Image quality depends basically on your upload speed. My iPad Slingplayer app image is comparable to the IMax movie quality on my iPad. I struggled for the longest with an old modem (plus or minus 700). I finally got a new modem, and without changing my Comcast plan, I went to 4.5. My children are amazed when they log in to my Slingbox from their home. Needless to say, here on my wifi, the picture is great.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had a slingbox pro HD for a few months and I love it.
I often remotely watch from my iPad or laptop.
While on a business trip, I was able to watch hockey and local news.

Most reactions

Latest posts