What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep function: What exactly does it do?

ibarrere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've looked around a fair bit trying to get to the bottom of this, but can anyone answer what exactly occurs when the iPad goes to sleep?

As far as I can tell, not much. Music continues to play (if queued before sleep), downloads continue running, etc.

OP
I

ibarrere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm actually not sure how music is treated.

I use a Google Music app (I've experienced the same issue with all Google Music apps, so I think it's something fairly universal) that has only really long tracks (an hour or more each). If I queue up a song and let it play for a bit then put the iPad to sleep with the switch or smart case, a short while later the track stops and the next one in the playlist starts up. If I keep the iPad awake this doesn't seem to occur. I would think if sleep mode affected music that it would just stop it altogether, rather than starting on with the next track in the playlist.

Can't really figure it out, but not many other people seem to notice or care, perhaps I'm the only one who listens to mixes.

OP
I

ibarrere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm actually not sure how music is treated.

I use a Google Music app (I've experienced the same issue with all Google Music apps, so I think it's something fairly universal) that has only really long tracks (an hour or more each). If I queue up a song and let it play for a bit then put the iPad to sleep with the switch or smart case, a short while later the track stops and the next one in the playlist starts up. If I keep the iPad awake this doesn't seem to occur. I would think if sleep mode affected music that it would just stop it altogether, rather than starting on with the next track in the playlist.

Can't really figure it out, but not many other people seem to notice or care, perhaps I'm the only one who listens to mixes.

Ugh, at least so I thought. I just tried again and the track has been playing for at least 15 minutes while the iPad is asleep. Apparently the distribution of a track ending prematurely and continuing with the next one is completely random.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ibarrere said:
I've looked around a fair bit trying to get to the bottom of this, but can anyone answer what exactly occurs when the iPad goes to sleep?

As far as I can tell, not much. Music continues to play (if queued before sleep), downloads continue running, etc.

Saves battery mainly

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I can understand, the iPad suspends operations when asleep. When it first goes to sleep ome (all?) of the default apps will keep running for a while. As in, if you are downloading an app from the App Store, the download will keep running until it's done. But, it won't run all the time (I think I read somewhere that the default apps are set up to run for about 10 minutes after sleep.

For the non-stock apps, the ones you buy/get from the App Store, they are suspended until you go back and "wake"the iPad up. Most are written so that you go right back to where you were.

I'm sure there are other things happening "under the hood," but essentially, all app operations freeze until you wake the iPad up.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts