What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep/awake magnet trigger

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new Air2 and have bought a case/cover from a third party source, although this case has two magnets fitted to the top corners it does not put the pad to sleep when the case is closed if fact I cant here the familiar click as the case is open/closed. Have Apple in their money grabbing greed altered this set up and moved these magnets in the attempt to sell their own ipad cases.
What makes this even more galling is that my original Ipad 2 has been rendered virtually impotent by the latest iOS upgrade 9 .0.3.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your third party case probably has the magnets set up the way they are for the iPad Air. Apple changed the location of the magnets in the iPad Air 2, probably as a result of other internal differences between the two models.

My iPad 2 is currently on iOS 9.3.2 and works fine, with no problems.

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your third party case probably has the magnets set up the way they are for the iPad Air. Apple changed the location of the magnets in the iPad Air 2, probably as a result of other internal differences between the two models.

My iPad 2 is currently on iOS 9.3.2 and works fine, with no problems.
Yes but as I said above I have the Air 2 the case I purchased is for this, all I want to know is were is the location of these magnets.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a new Air2 and have bought a case/cover from a third party source, although this case has two magnets fitted to the top corners it does not put the pad to sleep when the case is closed if fact I cant here the familiar click as the case is open/closed. Have Apple in their money grabbing greed altered this set up and moved these magnets in the attempt to sell their own ipad cases.
What makes this even more galling is that my original Ipad 2 has been rendered virtually impotent by the latest iOS upgrade 9 .0.3.

Concerning your question, did you ascertain whether the third party case you bought would work w/ the iPad Air 2? I have the same iPad w/ Apple's dark navy Smart Case - the location of the sensors to put that device to sleep are shown in the first image below; using a knife blade to test the location of the edge magnets in my Smart Cover, the second image w/ the double-arrows show where the sensors are positioned w/ the cover magnets contacting both. Now, whether 'Apple in their money grabbing greed' re-designs these iPads for the reasons you give is pure speculation - so cannot comment.

As to your second question of problems w/ the iOS upgrade on your iPad 2, there have been plenty of threads in the forum on this topic - do some searching and/or leave a thread in an appropriate forum and explain in detail what you did and what your problems may be? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 12.19.26 PM.png
8.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That third party case manufacturer could very well have placed the sleep/wake magnets in the wrong spot or with the wrong polarity to work properly with the iPad Air 2, due to poor research and quality control on their part. Apple has no say in the quality control of unauthorized third party accessories.

Last edited:
OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all the problem as if by magic has been solved after much research.

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem for me was that this new Ipad2 has some different functions one of which was that the mute switch icon in the upscroll
Menu was on mute. When I corrected this and also within the privacy tab I also enabled "calls from everyone" this enabled "FaceTime " to sound when a call was recieved. The other nigally problem was the sleep magnets in my new third party case would not put the pad to sleep/ wake. Research on this forum and others told me that Apple had changed the position of the magnets on the Air 2. and by using a metal object this proved correct. All this said when I eventually corrected the above it all began to work!!!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.............The other problem was the sleep magnets in my new third party case would not put the pad to sleep/ wake. Research on this forum and others told me that Apple had changed the position of the magnets on the Air 2. and by using a metal object this proved correct. All this said when I eventually corrected the above it all began to work!!!!

Well in my post above, I illustrated and described the sensor locations in the iPad Air 2 and using a knife blade showed where the magnets were positioned in the Apple Smart Cover, which corresponded to the sensor positions. What remains unclear to me is that the 'third party' case that you bought had magnets in the wrong location, so did you alter the case so the magnets were now in the right position or did you obtain another case/cover? Just curious - thanks for any further clarification. Dave :)

OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I did'nt move the magnets that's what's strange the magnets in the case are in the top corners and now they seem to work the system but I have to squeeze the case until I hear the click. I have cannabalised an old case and removed the magnets which I will use to modify this new case.

Most reactions

Latest posts