What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype?

lem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok is android any better? I assume it is the carrier / apple agreement that is blocking voip functions.

this month I just went $185 over my mins on my $80/mnth near maximum Roger voice data plan on my cell phone.... 1600 mins total with 35 cents per min for overage.

Would use my iPad for about 50% of those mins using skype and a blue tooth headset. Eg blueant when in the car.

skype works well on the ipad but is rendered useless without a headset

In Canada we have had very limited expensive voice and data plan that really penalize the heavy user as compared to the States

if the iPad had a built in camera and voip capacity. Wow!

So yes I understand that carriers will lose the. Terrible. Voice mins rip off
Be aware that even though Skype is free with registered users on a computer, if you use it with the iPad on a 3G network they will charge you after one free month of use.

Not sure I follow. Who will charge you of you use it on a 3G network beyond one month? Carrier? Skype?

didisinned

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're making calls to the US, download the app Whistle. It plays a 15 second commercial (sometimes) and the calls you make are free. They even provide you a phone number in which others can call you at.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok is android any better? I assume it is the carrier / apple agreement that is blocking voip functions.

this month I just went $185 over my mins on my $80/mnth near maximum Roger voice data plan on my cell phone.... 1600 mins total with 35 cents per min for overage.

Would use my iPad for about 50% of those mins using skype and a blue tooth headset. Eg blueant when in the car.

skype works well on the ipad but is rendered useless without a headset

In Canada we have had very limited expensive voice and data plan that really penalize the heavy user as compared to the States

if the iPad had a built in camera and voip capacity. Wow!

So yes I understand that carriers will lose the. Terrible. Voice mins rip off
Be aware that even though Skype is free with registered users on a computer, if you use it with the iPad on a 3G network they will charge you after one free month of use.

Not sure I follow. Who will charge you of you use it on a 3G network beyond one month? Carrier? Skype?
Skype will charge you. They know you're on 3G. A popup appears telling you about charges.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype app is available in iTunes for free. Although it's an iPhone app, it works with the iPad. Just hit the 2x for a bigger view.

Most reactions

Latest posts