What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype won't go online

Yamasemi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's probably me, but for some reason Skype won't go online with my my Wi-Fi iPad, though it's fine in my iPhone sitting less than a foot away!

Anyone got any ideas? I've renewed the lease on my network a couple of times, but still no joy.

TIA

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is probably a completely misguided suggestion, but it's something that I always try as a first attempt at fixing a problem - why take the difficult route when something simple might work!!

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Y

Yamasemi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Tim, but I'm afraid neither method worked this time!
The weird thing (to me at least) is that I can get through to online Skype contacts via imo.m with no problem. It's therefore just frustrating rather than a genuine obstacle.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Tim, but I'm afraid neither method worked this time!
The weird thing (to me at least) is that I can get through to online contacts via imo.m with no problem. It's therefore just frustrating rather than a genuine obstacle.

OK - I need to think about this some more....

Hopefully some more experienced (OK - cleverer) Forum members will be able to help too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Y

Yamasemi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, especially Tim,

I got so mad that I wiped my Skype account and created a completely new one. I've no idea why, but it works perfectly - except of course that it's really an iPhone app and doesn't look very pretty on the iPad. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas!

Yamasemi
Japan

Reaction score
That is strange.

When using the new account, are you only using it on the iPad, or also on iPhone? The only thing that comes to mind is, that the skype version on the iPhone might somehow be preventing skype to logon to the same account on another device.

Most reactions

Latest posts