What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype Video App?

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I am thinking that the iPad 2 would be great to use as a videophone if Skype Video worked on it. Does it? And if it (the i2) is a 3G type, you could use it as a [Skype] phone anywhere (anywhere there was 3G access). Does that make sense too?

I would be really anxious to know about these possibilities as I am ready to go buy the i2 (but I really want to know if this will add to the rationale to buy the 3G type).

Thanks in advance,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use video Skype on iPad 2 with 3G, but I've found call quality can vary greatly. You also need the receiver of your call to be logged onto Skype. Many people don't stay logged onto Skype all day, even if they have an account. Calling some numbers -- cell phones, land lines and such -- costs money.

I don't see using Skype as a good substitute for owning a cell phone and calling normally. I say that as someone with unlimited 3G access who uses Skype regularly, domestically and overseas.

As for rationale for buying 3G, there are many other good reasons to get it, even without Skype everywhere you go. For one, there's no GPS in the wi-fi models. That affects your use of maps, location-services-driven apps, the Find My iPhone/iPad app, and more.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts