What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype & ipad combo

jtlessons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all! I am posting here looking for user experiences with skype on the ipad. My job is teaching guitar, bass & ukulele on skype. Lately, I have had a few students using their ipads for lessons and it is pretty darn cool.
I have been teaching on skype for 3 years now and have not been impressed with wifi connections to comupters. The ipad uses wifi only right? It can't accept a ethernet cable?

I am looking to purchase the latest ipad for remote teaching while I am away from home. I guess I am just looking for feedback and tech details about wifi and how connection speeds affect the ipads performance while using skype.
If anyone would like to test the connection message me here or google: Jeffrey Thomas Guitar.
I can throw in a free lessson :eek:.
Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am posting here looking for user experiences with skype on the ipad. My job is teaching guitar, bass & ukulele on skype. Lately, I have had a few students using their ipads for lessons and it is pretty darn cool.
I have been teaching on skype for 3 years now and have not been impressed with wifi connections to comupters. The ipad uses wifi only right? It can't accept a ethernet cable?

I am looking to purchase the latest ipad for remote teaching while I am away from home. I guess I am just looking for feedback and tech details about wifi and how connection speeds affect the ipads performance while using skype.
If anyone would like to test the connection message me here or google: Jeffrey Thomas Guitar.
I can throw in a free lessson :eek:.
Thanks, Jeff

Hi, Jeff! Welcome to iPF!

Skype works with WiFi and a mobile data plan.
You can get an iPad with WiFi only, or WiFi and cellular data. You're right, you can't connect it to an ethernet cable.

Last edited:
OP
jtlessons

jtlessons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Johanna, so you could use skype & ipad if the ipad was added to your cellular data plan? That would mean you could make a skype call without being on wifi?...if so, amazing.
But what is the call quality?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Slower cellular connections may result in poor video quality. Using a cellular connection to make a Skype call will count towards any data limits you have. You'll need a micro/nano SIM card and a data plan.

OP
jtlessons

jtlessons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, this will be the same with a poor internet connection as well.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My experience with Skype over a cellular connection is that it's less reliable than over wifi. Over wifi, I control the quality more or less because I can improve my setup. Over cellular, what you get is what you get, depending on where you are and on the carrier's load at the time. If you get reliable connections where you spend most of your time, great. But there are variables with locations, as with cell phone reception from place to place.

Most reactions

Latest posts