What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skitch for the iPad arrives, and it's good.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Evernote just came out with Skitch for iPad. I got it and gave it a quick try. It's now my goto app for annotating screen shots, and whatever else. It's easy to use, and looks good. Basically it is a way to draw on various pictures (screen shots, camera, maps, web pages), then share them via various methods, including email; or you can save them to your Evernote account.

For some reason searching for 'skitch' in the iPad's App Store doesn't find it for me. I had to get the link to the store from Evernote's website. Searching works fine in iTune on the Computer. Weird.

Last edited:

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking for something really simple to add text to the photo on my lock screen. Skitch is perfect!

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. It's very simple with text. You get a choice of color and size (controlled with the brush size tool). That's all.

I'm trying to figure out what the screen shot tools is for. So far all I can do is take screen shots of the app's main page; which seems a bit ridiculous. There must be another way to use it.

Edit: A bit more playing around, and it appears the screen shot button will go to the camera roll and import that last picture taken, provided it's screen shot. If it isn't, you get page that tells you how to make a screen shot.

I think I had a screen shot of the app in the camera roll when first testing it, and that confused me.

Last edited:

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it seems a bit silly. Screenshots end up in Photos, of course, and can be marked up in Skitch very easily. The screenshot in the app seems useless, but maybe they just want to remind people to use Skitch with them too. Anyway, it works well, and the price is certainly right!

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This shows pretty much all you can do with Skitch. All elements can be resized, moved, recolored, and have their line thickness adjusted after the fact. Took me a bit to figure out how to resize the rectangles and ovals, but it was obvious after. You just select them, and use the pinch gesture.

You can also crop the picture, which I did not show.

Export abilities are Twitter, email, camera roll, and Evernote.

If you have an AppleTV and iPad 2, you can markup live on the TV. Good for some kinds of presentations, I suppose.

Thats about it. Not a lot of features, but sometimes you only need the basics in an easy to use interface.

Did I mention it's free?

Attachments

• SkitchDemo.jpg
    SkitchDemo.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 319

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You, Mr Twerppoet, are indeed a master of all things iPad related. I have this on my Macs and have been waiting patiently to see if it was ever coming to the iPad. I found it strait away in the App Store.......it'll be taking some abuse in the coming months.

The Archangel

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to be of help.

I read a lot of Apple news throughout the day, so I tend to catch those announcements that interest me. Skitch has been on my radar for awhile. I had no need for it on my iMac, but the iPad version was too tempting to pass up. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, on the iPad it is many more times as useful IMHO, I know there are plenty of annotation apps out there but Skitch is just so intuitive. I'll be using this one a lot.

The Archangel

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now this is great news ! I've been using Skitch on my Mac for a long time . When I saw your post this morning ,the first thing I did was to download it .
Thank you for the heads up !

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No resizing, just cropping is a disappointment.

You can exert some rough control if you use email to export the file.

Tap on the Cc/Bcc, From: line where it shows the image size

SkitchEmail1.jpg

Then select a smaller file size before emailing.

SkitchEmail2.jpg

Here is the original demo I made emailed at it's smallest size.

SkitchDemoSm.jpg

No tool has everything, and while I'm not going to cry if/when Skitch adds a resize option, I'm not going to miss it much until then. For what it does, nothing else I've tried on the iPad is as quick and easy to use; and when it comes to jotting up a screen shot to illustrate something, quick and easy triumphs a absolute control. For me anyway.

If I need absolute control of an image, I'd probably take the time to copy it to the computer and use the far better tools I have there.

Last edited:
OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I forgot that email only offers the image size options if you send attachments over a certain size. I'm not absolutely certain, but I think it is over 350MB. Just had one with 380MB that offered the size options, but not all screen shots are large enough to trigger the option (though they may be after annotation) and I don't know of any way to force it, except to send multiple photos. You could do that by saving a few Skitched pictures to the Photo app, and mailing them all at once.

Anyway, I did a little more playing around, and these are the sizes of the various email options. I only tested screen shots, but I'm pretty sure the other methods will have the same or smaller actual size. All measurements are pixels at 72 dpi.

Small = 320 x 240
Medium = 640 x 480
Large = 1280 x 960
Actual = 1355 x 1024

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This just popped into my head; a way to layer Skitched screen shots into a single picture. I had to give it a try before heading to bed.

Wild_Idea.jpg

I didn't actually do anything with Skitch to the screen shots before placing them in Pages, but the concept is proven, my mind clear, and the bed is singing a sweet sweet lullaby.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Upon further reflection it occurs to me that Keynote is probably the better choice for this trick, though any app that can import photos from the camera roll and lay them out would work.

Ok, now I'm really done for the night. No, really, I mean it this time. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts