What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sketch/Notes App Recommendations

violetrose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.onesixthcouture.com
Most of the time my iPad will be with me for sketching designs and making notes. Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that can do both or any app that would be suitable?

Thanks
Kayla - still waiting

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Notes Plus, which can accept both handwriting and typed notes as well as sketches and even audio recordings from the iPad's built-in microphone. The developer is very enthusiastic and has a deep commitment to this app, so he is always listening to users and incorporating their suggestions and ideas.

If you visit the app in the iPad App Store and then go to the Developer's website you'll see he has some great videos there of the product in use.

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I use Notes Plus, which can accept both handwriting and typed notes as well as sketches and even audio recordings from the iPad's built-in microphone. The developer is very enthusiastic and has a deep commitment to this app, so he is always listening to users and incorporating their suggestions and ideas.

If you visit the app in the iPad App Store and then go to the Developer's website you'll see he has some great videos there of the product in use.

Tim

That's also my main sketch and note pad app. Always open ready to manually scribble notes, with my stylus, when I'm on the phone or in meetings. I love it.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are looking for typed notes and sketches, then Notability is good. But leave it if you are after handwritten notes.

Or you can think laterally and use a word processor + sketch app combo. Just draw in sketch app and import it in word processor. Again this is no good for handwritten notes.

Or play a devil's advocate and use a pen and notepad. This has been in use for last 100 years and very reliable. :D

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Or play a devil's advocate and use a pen and notepad. This has been in use for last 100 years and very reliable. :D

This is the culture of the past 25 years I'm trying to get out of - notepads and bits of paper every where. I'm digitally getting there very fast, but yes, I've still got a single pencil and pad open on my desk too. Old habits and that :)

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
sjleworthy said:
This is the culture of the past 25 years I'm trying to get out of - notepads and bits of paper every where. I'm digitally getting there very fast, but yes, I've still got a single pencil and pad open on my desk too. Old habits and that :)

same here, not to mention post it notes all over the place :)

icouldsave.co.uk - help save money and the planet!

OP
V

violetrose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.onesixthcouture.com
If you are looking for typed notes and sketches, then Notability is good. But leave it if you are after handwritten notes.

Or you can think laterally and use a word processor + sketch app combo. Just draw in sketch app and import it in word processor. Again this is no good for handwritten notes.

I already carry notepad and paper and they get absolutely destroyed after a while and they seem to breed in my handbag! Trying to go digital to see how I go!

Kayla - still waiting

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For something more simple - penultimate is hard to fault. Godo for quick, basic sketches and handwriting.

RoninSTi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your best bet is the Note Taker HD/Evernote combo.

You can sketch/handwrite all you want in note taker HD. You can incorporate images, built in shapes, staple different note pages together, annotate pdf's, export to dropbox/pdf/evernote.

You can do your typing in evernote, and even convert your handwriting from note taker HD.

Watch the youtube videos on note taker HD. It's constantly being updated, the developer is very interactive with the users...PLUS he invented the spreadsheet!!!!! :D

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[quote="RoninSTi]

You can do your typing in evernote, and even convert your handwriting from note taker HD.

[/quote]

which app converts hand written notes??

Cheers

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
[quote="RoninSTi]

Cheers

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF[/QUOTE]

As mentioned in the post you quoted, Evernote does attempt to convert handwriting on import.

Another app, which converts handwriting directly is WritePad/PhatPad. The two apps are from the same developer.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

Cheers

As mentioned in the post you quoted, Evernote does attempt to convert handwriting on import.

Another app, which converts handwriting directly is WritePad/PhatPad. The two apps are from the same developer.[/QUOTE]

How can you import handwriting? I can only import a PDF?

Reaction score
It depends on what the source of your handwriting is. If you want to write directly on the iPad and have the handwriting convert into text immidiately on the same page you write on, than WritePad/PhatPad is the way to go. With Evernote, you would have to write first and than at the end import the text.

andreab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my favorite

I love phatpad because the handwriting to text actually works really well for me. I was skeptical, but I have pretty clear handwriting. I love it

Most reactions

Latest posts