What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri

M

moparherb

Prior to upgrading my iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 5S when I held down the home button to summon Siri I got a bell like sound to let me know she was ready for my question. Now all I get is a small (very small) burp. Is there any way to get the bell type noise back? Thanks for any and all answers.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like this is a bug. I experience the same on my iPhone (iOS 9), while I get the bell sound on my iPad (iOS 9.1 public beta).

You could send feedback to Apple so they know about this:
Apple - iPad - Feedback

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPhone too. I hadn't noticed before, for some reason. The dull sound is the vibration mode. If you turn this off in Settings > sounds, you get nothing at all (at least on my iPhone.

Interestingly enough, I still get the bell sound through my headphones.

Played a lot with the Sound and Siri settings. Wasn't able to trick the bell in to coming back.

OP
M

moparherb

Thanks for all responses. I sent a note to Apple

OP
M

moparherb

Follow up. Today I purchased a iPhone 6S. If I push the home button to get Siri's attention I still just get a small burp, but if I use the "Hey Siri" command I get the old bell. This is after 9.0.2. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is not a big deal anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should have come back to this, but I forgot.

This is the new behavior of Siri, at least on newer iPhones. The reasoning is that the beep was there to let you know when to start speaking. Siri is now fast enough on many devices that you can now start speaking as soon as you press the home button. On those devices, you won't get a beep. If you have vibrate turned on in Settings > Sounds, you still get a little buzz; otherwise Siri is silent, and ready immediately (iPhone only, iPad's don't have a vibrate motor).

I don't have an iPad Air 2, so I can't confirm on that device. The iPad Air still beeps. My iPhone 6 Plus does not. On the other hand, my iPhone 6 Plus still has enough lag that need to wait just a bit to talk. Not much, but at least until the Siri screen appears.

Anyway, it's not a bug. It's intentional. If you still need a bit of feedback, try enabling vibrate. I do. It's all the feedback I need, once I realized that the beep was gone.

f67276e2dbcddb5ac2e91c9bf990eb3a.jpg

OP
M

moparherb

Twerppoet, thanks for the explanation.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn off Vibration in Settings - General - Accessibility - Interaction, and you'll get the bell again when you start using Siri on the iPhone.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Turn off Vibration in Settings - General - Accessibility - Interaction, and you'll get the bell again when you start using Siri on the iPhone.

But then that disables vibration completely on the phone. That's something I need as a truck driver because those big rigs are quite noisy and you can't always hear the phone ringing.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Most reactions