What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri says wrong location

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a new iPad mini. But for some reason whenever I ask it my current location, or when the closest Indian takeaway is. I keeps on saying I'm on Malvern hills. But when I go onto my apple maps, it's the perfect location. Can anyone tell me why it's saying this or how to change it.
Thanks.

OP
Jack1231

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also. If I say take me home. It says I Couldn't find an address for your contact but I have! Do you think I need to take it to the Genius Bar.?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm.

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars: Check under the Contacts section and make sure My Info is set to your own contact information. Make sure your street address is in that contact.

Do the same thing for Settings > General > Siri.

I'm not sure about the earlier problem, but it should fix the can't find address issue.

OP
Jack1231

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Hm.

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars: Check under the Contacts section and make sure My Info is set to your own contact information. Make sure your street address is in that contact.

I'm not sure about the earlier problem, but it should fix the can't find address issue.

Ok. The first problem is fixed now. But I checked what you said to do, and they've all got my name on it. But It won't find any ones addresses. Like if I say, what is the address for my dad, it says there is my address for this contact. But there is! If I say give me direction for London to Birmingham that works. Or if I say where do I live, it tells me that. Can you help please!?

OP
Jack1231

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Hm.

If I say where does (any of my contacts) live, it tells me. But if I say, give me directions from my current location to (name of contact) I doesn't work.

OP
Jack1231

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Hm.

Actually, I just did some testing. The only time it doesn't work if I say, take me to (name of contact) home. It says, I couldn't find a address for (name of contact) home.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To find your dad (assuming you said 'dad'), it needs the relationship information in Contacts. You can either enter it using Siri, or directly in the Contacts app. To do so in Siri, you say something like "Darth Vader is my dad". To work "Darth Vader" must have a contact entry. This information gets added to your contact information under relationships.

As for the rest, I've kind of lost track of what you are saying works and what does not work. If you'd list each non-working question and its incorrect response I might have a better idea of what is going on; or not.

OP
Jack1231

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
To find your dad (assuming you said 'dad'), it needs the relationship information in Contacts. You can either enter it using Siri, or directly in the Contacts app. To do so in Siri, you say something like "Darth Vader is my dad". To work "Darth Vader" must have a contact entry. This information gets added to your contact information under relationships.

As for the rest, I've kind of lost track of what you are saying works and what does not work. If you'd list each non-working question and its incorrect response I might have a better idea of what is going on; or not.

I've already done all that. That works. With the retaliation-ship stuff. The only one that doesn't work is take me to dad home. Or like joe Robert home. It says I couldn't find an address for joe Robert home. But I do.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to say.

Try opening the Contacts app and tap on the person's home address (make sure it's labeled as home). It should open in Maps. That will tell whether it's a map/address problem.

The other possible problem is that Siri is not connecting the name's pronunciation with the Contact's entry. That sounds unlikely for the name you mentioned, but you never know. You can get around this by creating a phonetic entry in the Contact.

To enter a phonetic name in Contacts:

1) Open Contacts
2) Choose the Contact
3) Tap the Edit button.
4) Scroll to the bottom and tap Add Field
5) Tap Phonetic First Name
6) Enter an alternate (or phonetic) spelling that's more likely to sound right, or try using Dictation to enter the name.
7) Repeat 4 -6 for Phonetic Last Name.
8) Tap Done

Try Siri again to see what happens.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

OP
Jack1231

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I'm not sure what to say.

Try opening the Contacts app and tap on the person's home address (make sure it's labeled as home). It should open in Maps. That will tell whether it's a map/address problem.

The other possible problem is that Siri is not connecting the name's pronunciation with the Contact's entry. That sounds unlikely for the name you mentioned, but you never know. You can get around this by creating a phonetic entry in the Contact.

To enter a phonetic name in Contacts:

1) Open Contacts
2) Choose the Contact
3) Tap the Edit button.
4) Scroll to the bottom and tap Add Field
5) Tap Phonetic First Name
6) Enter an alternate (or phonetic) spelling that's more likely to sound right, or try using Dictation to enter the name.
7) Repeat 4 -6 for Phonetic Last Name.
8) Tap Done

Try Siri again to see what happens.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Nope, none of that worked. But I tapped on the address and it worked. I think it's just the phrase I'm saying. All I'm saying is take me to (name of contact) and its ok cus I've got lots of other phrases that work. Like, where does (name of contact) live, or, give me directions from my current location to (name of contact). They all work. Thanks for all your help anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah. Now I understand.

Siri is pretty good about understanding different ways of asking things. That tends to make it a hard to tell when something isn't working right, or you're not asking the right way.

To get an idea of what does work ask Siri, "What can I say". The examples are not all inclusive, but they highlight what key words and phrases are typical for an action.

OP
Jack1231

Jack1231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ah. Now I understand.

Siri is pretty good about understanding different ways of asking things. That tends to make it a hard to tell when something isn't working right, or you're not asking the right way.

To get an idea of what does work ask Siri, "What can I say". The examples are not all inclusive, but they highlight what key words and phrases are typical for an action.

Ok. Thank for all your help.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got a new iPad mini. But for some reason whenever I ask it my current location, or when the closest Indian takeaway is. I keeps on saying I'm on Malvern hills. But when I go onto my apple maps, it's the perfect location. Can anyone tell me why it's saying this or how to change it.
Thanks.

LOL I was just thinking that women tell us men to go and ask for directions and what happens when we ask a woman for directions she screws it up :D

Most reactions

Latest posts