What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri picking up audio from the speakers

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if I'm the only one seeing this...

I stream a lot of radio, (music and talk) using the TuneIn radio app.. I have a spot for the Pro 9.7 on my bookshelf so I can listen to the audio right from the speakers.

A couple of times in the three weeks that I've had the Pro, Siri will go 'ding' on it's own and answer what it heard coming from the speakers as if I asked a question. (Which I didn't). This interrupts the radio broadcast that I'm currently streaming.

Is this just happening to me? Is there a fix?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the Hey Siri feature enabled? This is what usually causes the problem as Siri hears something it interprets as Hey Siri and turns on and could answer what it thinks is a question. The fix is to turn off Hey Siri.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have Hey Siri turned on. (That's one of my favorite features). I really like how it works on the Pro without it having to be plugged in to the charger. You can call it up no matter where the iPad is sitting. In the car, on the coffee table, kitchen counter etc etc..

I just wondered if I was the only one that was having Siri intercept speaker audio. By the responses so far, it seems that I am :) There must be a way for Apple to fix this by recognizing what is being streamed and telling Siri to ignore it, but I guess they need enough complaints before they act.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you have Hey Siri activated Siri is not activated until the phrase Hey Siri is said, or something that sounds similar enough to Hey Siri. There's no way to analyze the audio coming from the speaker or elsewhere in real time and prevent Siri from turning on for anything that sounds like Hey Siri but is not the actual words Hey Siri. Several other members, including myself have had this happen to us. The only way to stop it if it happens quite frequently is to turn off the Hey Siri feature.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If they reversed the phase of the speaker audio and fed it back into the microphone circuit, the sound picked up by the microphone would be cancelled out. A simpler way would be to disable Hey Siri when the speakers are in use.

Oh well. I know what's causing it. The odd interruption every month or so is an acceptable trade-off to have Hey Siri active.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of my favorite things too. I happened to buy a Chevy Colorado truck late last Fall that has Apple Car Play (it is our tow vehicle and thus became my 'car'). Its so useful when I'm driving by myself to use Hey Siri and have it place a call, open a play list, etc.

The oddest thing, though understood, is at home to say Hey Siri and have multiple devices answer you LOL. At least, for now, you have to hold the mic button down on the ATV so it doesn't get into the conversation.

Most reactions