What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri Not Working

klewi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Please excuse me if this post is in the wrong section but I believe it's probably an IOS7 related issue.

Since updating to 7 on my iPad 4 I've found that Siri will not work. I keep getting:

"I'm sorry I'm unable to answer your question right now. Please try again later."
(Or something very close to this.)

This has gone on for about a week now and is still an issue after the 7 update yesterday.

Is anyone else having this same problem? Any thoughts? I've turned Siri off and back on as well as rebooting and nothing has helped.

omo_sanni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Please excuse me if this post is in the wrong section but I believe it's probably an IOS7 related issue.

Since updating to 7 on my iPad 4 I've found that Siri will not work. I keep getting:

"I'm sorry I'm unable to answer your question right now. Please try again later."
(Or something very close to this.)

This has gone on for about a week now and is still an issue after the 7 update yesterday.

Is anyone else having this same problem? Any thoughts? I've turned Siri off and back on as well as rebooting and nothing has helped.

Pls everyone I have an issue with my iPad rotation facility . I just noticed a locked key sign by the battery symbol, pls how can I unlock it. Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pls everyone I have an issue with my iPad rotation facility . I just noticed a locked key sign by the battery symbol, pls how can I unlock it. Thanks
Hi, welcome to iPF!
Open Control Center (swipe up from the bottom) and tap here:
image-1790797834.jpg
It should turn grey, and for a short time you'll see "Orientation Lock: Off" written in white.

Last edited:
OP
klewi

klewi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi, you shouldn't hijack someone else's thread with your question. Starting your own topic is the proper thing to do. This thread is asking a question about Siri not the rotation lock.

A quick Google search would return the information you want. Since I'm a new user with insufficient ability to post links I can't do it for you but the page you want looks like this:

h t t p ://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Please excuse me if this post is in the wrong section but I believe it's probably an IOS7 related issue. Since updating to 7 on my iPad 4 I've found that Siri will not work. I keep getting: "I'm sorry I'm unable to answer your question right now. Please try again later." (Or something very close to this.) This has gone on for about a week now and is still an issue after the 7 update yesterday. Is anyone else having this same problem? Any thoughts? I've turned Siri off and back on as well as rebooting and nothing has helped.
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Backing up your iPad and restoring it should fix your issue.

OP
klewi

klewi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Are you suggesting a restore because you know it has worked on this issue or is it an educated guess? Not doubting you but before I go through the process I just want to know my chances of success with a restore.

Cheers!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen this problem a few times lately. Usually I ask again later, sometimes a whole two or three seconds later, and it works; though once I had to ask three times. I've been assuming it's a problem with Siri's servers being overloaded, though it might also be my less than stellar home internet connection. It's not exactly slow, but it seems to have some kind of lag connecting when nothing has been going on for a while.

If the problem is with your iOS 7 install, Johanna's suggestion is the most likely to fix the problem, as it will probably fix just about anything that is related to bad install. If it is a server or internet problem, not so much. Johanna has been in more Siri related threads than I have lately, so her advice is worth paying attention to. Well, actually, it's always worth paying attention to. She knows here stuff.

But, if you don't mind, I'd like to hear a few more details. Does Siri simply never work, and if so have you tried Siri on more than one network? Anything else you can think of related to how and when you are using Siri.

Some other things you can try are listed below, if you have not already tried them already that is. You could also try turing Siri ON/OF in Settings > General > Siri, to see if you can give things a bump. I'd definitely give Reset All Settings a try before doing a restore. It's worked on some pretty strange things before.

Good luck.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes
------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

esforcontests

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I'm having the same problem! Especially on my iPad. Not so much on my MacBook. But then I haven't been using it much lately on my MacBook. But as IM dictating this it's coming up right away

OP
klewi

klewi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so far I have restarted, reset, and now I've done a complete backup and restore. No luck with any of it. Siri still does not work; I get the same messages as previously posted.

For further information my internet connection is not the issue. I have a fast 50 Mb/s dsl with no issues. Interestingly though if anyone is still bewildered by their iPad's seemingly slow connection speeds I have fixed that. However that is a different issue. I currently get a good clean 40-45 Mb/s on my iPad with an upload of around 4 Mb/s.

Any other suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a firewall set up, you might take it down just long enough to test Siri. Low speed is not the only thing that can affect Siri. Or try the iPad on an alternate network, as I said before. That would eliminate any thing that your ISP might be doing.

And that is about all I can think of.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so far I have restarted, reset, and now I've done a complete backup and restore. No luck with any of it. Siri still does not work; I get the same messages as previously posted. For further information my internet connection is not the issue. I have a fast 50 Mb/s dsl with no issues. Interestingly though if anyone is still bewildered by their iPad's seemingly slow connection speeds I have fixed that. However that is a different issue. I currently get a good clean 40-45 Mb/s on my iPad with an upload of around 4 Mb/s. Any other suggestions?
Did you enable restrictions on your iPad? (Settings - General - Restrictions)

OP
klewi

klewi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you enable restrictions on your iPad? (Settings - General - Restrictions)

Yes, I wondered about that. I enabled restrictions, disabled restrictions, enabled Siri on lock screen, disabled Siri on lock screen. Those didn't seem to work. Are there any other Siri settings I'm missing I could tweak?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I wondered about that. I enabled restrictions, disabled restrictions, enabled Siri on lock screen, disabled Siri on lock screen. Those didn't seem to work. Are there any other Siri settings I'm missing I could tweak?

Did you try twerppoet's suggestion as well?

This is what I also found: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4079
If this doesn't help, I have no idea what else you could do to fix this.

Most reactions

Latest posts