What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri for ipad 2!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, I'm afraid you will have to buy the new iPhone 4S for that which is not an option for me. Although i see that there are 1 million pre-orders in the first 24 hours. New record set. I will have to practice on the dragon app until the next iPhone I can buy.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Hayles, I have dragon dictation and find it great but it would be nice to start other applications with voice commands, I don't think it does that.

What you're looking for is an iPhone app entitled "Dragon Go!" Not sure it will meet your needs, but it does provide some functionality.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, we've both tried to find it but I don't think it's available in UK. I've tried, believe me.

skylined69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Possibly good news Macrumors are reporting that the iPhone 4s may only have 512MB of Ram, that's according to a source who have posted a video of a 4s which they somehow got their hands on.

This would mean there's no reason why Siri could not operate on the iPad 2, if true the only reason that it might not come to the iPad 2 is in order for it to be a sales incentive for the iPhone 4s & the iPad 3.

Sorry would have included a link but it won't allow it with less than 3 posts.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wonder if this guy iPad 2 have Siri on it!!!!

pict13.jpg

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apparent reason for Siri being 4S only is the microphone. In the iPhone 4, they used a secondary microphone to sort out the background noise. This two part microphone is key to being able to make Siri work properly and is not on any other phones. The iPhone 4 does not have the A5 which is also required. And after two years of work, they still release Siri as a beta program. Apparently all the tweaks needed to make Siri work with the iPhone 4S were also a big deal, so you will not see Siri on any backward products. OTOH, the iPad 3 is strongly in the running for such a setup, in my opinion.

skylined69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried voice control on my iPhone 4 running the iOS 5 GM build and noticed the voice has changed from the usual female computer voice to one that sounds like some gentrified English bloke, the strange thing is that I've just watched a video on Redmond Pie that shows the iPhone 4S's Siri being tested in an area with background noise. One of the people testing the phone is English and the other is American, the English person testing to see if Siri works is getting the male voice I've mentioned above and the American is getting the regular voice we all know from voice control.

This leads me to wonder if apple has given voice control & Siri regional based accents and also if it's possible that this is some precursor to Siri coming out on the iPad 2 & iPhone 4, I doubt it but it does seem a coincidence.

Seadog does make a good point about the noise cancellation mic that's on the iPhone 4/4S that may put a spanner in the works for the current iPad's but maybe not the iPhone 4.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This leads me to wonder if apple has given voice control & Siri regional based accents and also if it's possible that this is some precursor to Siri coming out on the iPad 2 & iPhone 4, I doubt it but it does seem a coincidence.

Coming out the the iPad 3, I would think, next Spring.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[h=1]Progress Made on Porting Siri to the iPhone 4 [video][/h]Developer Steven Troughton-Smith has made some progress on porting Siri voice assistant to the iPhone 4, reports 9to5Mac.

Siri on the iPhone 4 can recognize spoken commands in both the standard Siri view and the keyboard Dictation view. The only issue at this point is that Apple is not authenticating (obviously) commands to its servers from iPhone 4 hardware. The Siri port to the iPhone 4, at this point, also has the ability to speak back to the user. You may notice Siri and the iPhone 4 acting very sluggish in the above video. The issue here is not Siri, but is that a special GPU driver for iPhone 4 is needed; and it is obviously not included in the iPhone 4S binary cache – where the Siri files are located.

We'll keep you up to date on the progress of this port...

Last edited by a moderator:

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's pretty damn cool, though I guess I didn't realize how reliant on their servers it was. It's dang near running hacked already on iPhone 4 so I bet you see it eventually on jailbroken iPads. I believe less and less it's tied technologically to this device in my hand.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
updated video, running better now....still need more work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions