What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri for ipad 2!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me personally, I don't really care about using Siri on my 4S that I have on pre-order (I've never been a fan of voice commands on any phone and always disable it).

there is a lot of people complaining about how they don't like the keyboard on iOS, now they can speech to text.

i have playlists on my device, now i can press a button and speak, instead of going thru the hassle of taking it out of my pocket, jacket...in the car.....airplay, and fiddling to that certain playlist and press play...i know it is making me sound LAZY, but its there now.

not to mention the other things it does.....set alarm, etc, etc.

you will adapt, but lets hope it just works, and it should....Apple is releasing it, and there will always be updates.

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday, I donwloaded and installed Dragon Go! onto my friends iPhone (I don't have one yet) and onto my iPad. From what I understand, the makers of Dragon are collaborating with Apple to develop Siri. Let me tell you, I've been around the block once or twice. I remember when Apple first introduced Voice Commands onto their Macs and I tried my best to make it work -- and it rarely did (remeber those days?). Yesterday, I was blown away. I "told" Dragon Go 15-20 different things between my iPad and his iPhone and it documented each and everything thing i said WITHOUT ONE SINGLE ERROR and then executed them without failure. I told it to find me Sushi nearby and it opened Yelp, searched for Sushi, and then listed them all by distance to my iPad's GPS location. I told it to find weather for Los Angeles, CA. It opened Accuweather.com, put Los Angeles, CA in the search field and showed me the remaining week's weather. I have never seen anything work this well for understanding what you say and executing the right items to get the requested data to you. I am very excited about its release. Trt it out for yourself. Download Dragon Go from the App store while its still free and let us know your findings.

ipadshoeyuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I found this in app store have not tried it yet as anyone else, dragon dictation

Sent from my iPad2 in Somerset

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only if you like to see moss covering everything! Sigh. But I suppose you mossbacks gotta' stick together!

P.S. Washington doesn't even make good whisky!
Not so my friend, Dry Fly whiskey. Very small distributing company based in Spokane and their shipments of their whiskey is somewhat limited (they also make vodka and gin). Liquor stores can’t put it on the self, you have to go in and ask for it and you are limited to one bottle. I’m a scotch drinker (highlands) and this stuff is smooth and worth the $50 price tag. Sorry for the hijack.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday, I donwloaded and installed Dragon Go! onto my friends iPhone (I don't have one yet) and onto my iPad. From what I understand, the makers of Dragon are collaborating with Apple to develop Siri...

Not sure why others are having trouble finding Dragon Go! in the US app store. It's an iPhone app and runs on the iPad 2. Downloaded and tried it. It's very similar, in fact, to some voice command apps I have on an Android phone. Works well, but it's very limited compared to what Siri amounts to (at least from the initial reviews.)

Basically, the Dragon Go! app is integrated with a limited set of other apps you may have on your phone. i.e. Accu Weather, your iPod music app, Yelp!, etc. About a dozen apps as far as I can tell. Ask the right question and Dragon Go! automatically opens the appropriate app with the parameter(s) you've spoken. I'd assume that Siri operates in a similar fashion but with more comprehensive integration with various apps on the phone including contacts, calendar, etc. (e.g. "Remind me when it's Dad's birthday.)

My limited testing suggests it has some bugs (at least on the iPad). For example, if it's used to play a song and then closed, using some other music apps (RadioBox) will no longer play in the background once closed. Pandora, however, continues to operate correctly.

All in all, the app appears to operate relatively well, at least in a quiet room with carefully spoken commands. As noted, though, it's neither as powerful as Siri is expected to be nor as powerful as some other existing Android apps.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used the Android programs a bit, and the Dragon app, nut ultimately it's only been useful for search. And even that's a bit of a novelty if you're not driving. I really hope in usage its an evolution.

2 interesting tidbits about Apple's modus here...First, the software doesn't allow keyboard entry which is a bit jarring since I think there will be times when you would like the abilities it allows without being able to speak a command. 2nd, there's more and more talk around the web that the phone only has 512mb of memory. I think we're going to find that the software is definitely tied to the 4S as a marketing angle.

I've preordered the phone, so I'm looking forward to trying it out next week.

sgjob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah it would be really cool to have siri for us, but not really sure if it requires more RAM or if it will be really possible? What I think is that if this is a new feature, well it is, so why would they give it to existing customers...

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 and have no intention of buying this new one so if I could get this Dragon Go in UK, I would definitely try it out! Not all of us can afford to buy the next new iPhone.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah! Or win the lottery! Rob a bank? I'd like the iPad 3 so I'm hoping when it comes out, I can twist hubby's arm real hard!
Food and shelter is secondary to SJ devices I suppose but hey, someone's got to feed the kids!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts